Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Unmarried Partner/Work Permit  (Read 1068 times)

• Liked: 0
Unmarried Partner/Work Permit
« on: December 02, 2004, 11:44:26 PM »
Hi All,

This site has been a great resource, but I haven't found an answer to my question yet.  I will be moving to London on a work permit and my heterosexual unmarried partner will be relocating with me from New York; we are both US citizens.  We've lived together  for the last 1.5 years, lived apart for 1 year before that, and then together for another 1.5 years before that....So is this going to count for at least 2 years or does it need to be consecutive years?

Also, as a general question, has anyone had any experience with bringing an unmarried partner along on a work permit? 

Thanks!

• Liked: 5
Re: Unmarried Partner/Work Permit
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 12:15:57 AM »
I did exactly this. I am on work permit and my hetero unmarried partner came with me.  He is considered a work permit dependent, not an unmarried partner.  He has clearance as long as I do.  I am on a 5 year WP, so he has a 5 year visa as well.  We had to provide the same documentation that is listed for an unmarried partner visa, but when you fill out the VAF1 form, you check the WP dependent box.

You must be living together for 2 years consecutively, but are allowed up to six months apart.  The Consulate tells you that the 6 months is for something big, like caring for a sick relative, but I have heard of people getting by with just a normal separation.  I can't say for certain that it would be approved for less than the 2 years, but I do know of others that have been ok.

Good luck.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 08:54:22 AM »
I have a question along the same lines. I'm thinking of moving to the UK to go to university and while doing so I can have a part-time job without a work permit, or so I understand. Now, my girlfriend is coming with me and most likely won't attend school. Will we need to get her a work permit first or will she qualify along with me as if I had a work permit. It's a long shot but it's worth asking. Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 10:03:59 AM »
How long have you lived together, kidkoopa?

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 10:07:16 AM »
I have a question along the same lines. I'm thinking of moving to the UK to go to university and while doing so I can have a part-time job without a work permit, or so I understand. Now, my girlfriend is coming with me and most likely won't attend school. Will we need to get her a work permit first or will she qualify along with me as if I had a work permit. It's a long shot but it's worth asking. Thanks.

This is different, b/c you are coming on a student visa, NOT a work-permit. 

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 11:22:19 AM »
How long have you lived together, kidkoopa?

Although expat_in_scotland has already pointed out it's "NOT" relevent ( :D ), I'll let you know we've been happily together 2 years come January. Thank the lot of you.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 12:23:00 PM »
If you have been living with your girlfriend for two years and can prove it, and are coming to the UK as a student for more that 6 months, she can come as your unmarried partner and will be able to work full time.

Victoria

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 01:19:23 PM »
Although expat_in_scotland has already pointed out it's "NOT" relevent ( :D ), I'll let you know we've been happily together 2 years come January. Thank the lot of you.

I never said it was not relevant, but that a student visa was different from a work permit.  Your unmarried partner will be here as a dependent on your student visa, not a work permit in her own right, as is the case for Blackbird.   :D  A work permit holder's stay in the UK, for example, is dependent upon their employer's sponsorship, whereas someone who is the partner or spouse of a student visa can seek employment for any employer.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 01:25:18 PM by expat_in_scotland »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab