Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Strange Request, but.... cinderblocks?  (Read 1422 times)

• Liked: 672
Strange Request, but.... cinderblocks?
« on: July 24, 2017, 10:25:06 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get cinderblocks (and what they are called here) and boards in Glasgow to build "student" bookcases?  Daughter has specifically requested we make some of these old-school bookcases, rather than buying furniture.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Strange Request, but.... cinderblocks?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 10:29:07 AM »
B&Q or Wickes.  Or any building supply places. 

• Liked: 35
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 12:04:25 PM »
Breezeblock.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 01:35:23 PM »
Not seeing anything like cinderblocks - just solid blocks. She's looking for traditional USA cinderblocks (which may not be available here).

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-max-cinderblocks-materials/842061

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »
https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Hollow-Dense-Concrete-Block-7-3N-215mm/p/988088

These are 215mm(W) x 215mm(H) x 440mm(L), which is about 8.5"x8.5"x17".
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 08:25:10 PM »
Not seeing anything like cinderblocks - just solid blocks. She's looking for traditional USA cinderblocks (which may not be available here).

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-max-cinderblocks-materials/842061

Pretty sure they use something similar to build all the brick houses, no? My neighbours doing an extension and it's just concrete cinderblocks right now...
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 09:56:27 PM »
As Groover said, cinder blocks in the UK are called breeze blocks.

They should be easy to find. I've seen them used as little walls between houses here, so they definitely exist.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 07:07:37 AM »
Spiffy  ;D - now I won't have to spent a lot of time trying to explain to a sales clerk what it is I'm looking for. (If anyone can tell me the name of the company -preferably in Glasgow, where we live - where you have seen them, that'd be great.) Otherwise, knowing that they exist somewhere doesn't do us a lot of good.  ;) ;) I'm not seeing them on the websites....

It looks like, from the post by JFKimberley that Travis Perkins has them as "hollow dense concrete blocks" but they appear to only sell them as bundles. We just need a few. Am emailing the company, but assume they won't deliver less than a bundle. We are restricted to either delivery or public transportation, as well, so if they don't deliver we need to be able to literally go buy one each, in two separate trips (to be able to get them home).

We need like four of them and two four-foot long boards.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:10:51 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 537
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 07:40:09 AM »
Spiffy  ;D - now I won't have to spent a lot of time trying to explain to a sales clerk what it is I'm looking for. (If anyone can tell me the name of the company -preferably in Glasgow, where we live - where you have seen them, that'd be great.) Otherwise, knowing that they exist somewhere doesn't do us a lot of good.  ;) ;) I'm not seeing them on the websites....

It looks like, from the post by JFKimberley that Travis Perkins has them as "hollow dense concrete blocks" but they appear to only sell them as bundles. We just need a few. Am emailing the company, but assume they won't deliver less than a bundle. We are restricted to either delivery or public transportation, as well, so if they don't deliver we need to be able to literally go buy one each, in two separate trips (to be able to get them home).

Sounds like a taxi trip where you tell them what you're getting. You'll have to see if any of the home stores also cut purchased timbre.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »
Nope. I'm not paying for a taxi.  My bus trips are free.... or the kid can buy herself an Ikea bookshelf. ;D

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »

Here's what yell came up with for builders yards in Glasgow. https://www.yell.com/s/builders+merchants-glasgow.html

I'd narrow down by location and call the ones that look most convenient to you, now you know what you're asking for!  ;)  Most places will sell small quantities of things but won't deliver anything but large amounts as you suggested.

• Liked: 15

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 08:18:14 AM »
Cool, thanks!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »

I found this https://www.condell-ltd.com/hollow-dense-block-7n-215mm-width-per-m2-10-blocks?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnubLBRC_ARIsAASsNNng12hJ3kpqAm-CYaNDPUn038PdNd4-3CGNhQTZHu5Dn8BYWXdPxQQaAiT6EALw_wcB

It doesn't look expensive for 10. I would compare the price of that to the price of making multiple trips and buying them individually. If it's cheaper/the same/ not much more expensive, you might just want to buy these, have them delivered, and then look to flog the rest to somebody else perhaps? They are based in London so not sure what their delivery looks like.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 02:42:54 PM »
Actually, for me to take one at a time on the bus is free. BUT, I'm vetoing this project, as I've identified an item at Ikea that will serve the purpose and is only 30 pounds. I'm just such a stick-in-the-mud, going for cheaper over "style"....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab