Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Who wants to play pass the parcel?  (Read 80978 times)

• Dominicano en Birmingham, UK
  • Liked: 1
Re: Who wants to play pass the parcel?
« Reply #750 on: March 19, 2018, 10:17:06 PM »
@AweSam canyou please pm me your address.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #751 on: March 20, 2018, 09:37:41 AM »
I miss the Secret Santa :( - it's been a few years since we did it.

We wouldn't have to do it the Pass the Parcel way though. Previously, we had one person organise it and anyone who wanted to take part signed up and PM'd their details to the organiser (address, likes, dislikes), then the organiser matched everyone up and you sent a gift to whoever your assigned Secret Santa was :).

Would be interested in doing that but if we could get some type of blurb from the person receiving the gift to know a little something more to help aid in buying gifts as some people are probably easier to buy for than others and it would encourage newer people to get involved as well as those people might not want to do it as they'll maybe think "I don't know anybody well enough yet to be able to buy.

I think if someone receives the box and gets it back out in the post within a week, they should be banned and removed!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I concur.

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #752 on: March 20, 2018, 09:43:37 AM »
I think if someone receives the box and gets it back out in the post within a week, they should be banned and removed!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I concur.

Looks like I'm out then!  ;D

« Reply #753 on: March 20, 2018, 09:46:32 AM »

haha I just can't get my life organised enough to even begin to get it back out in the post in under a week! haha
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #754 on: March 20, 2018, 09:50:52 AM »

It's been fun Larabee.  But you've really let the standards of the group go.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Or, teach us your tricks!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #755 on: March 20, 2018, 09:53:19 AM »
Would be interested in doing that but if we could get some type of blurb from the person receiving the gift to know a little something more to help aid in buying gifts as some people are probably easier to buy for than others and it would encourage newer people to get involved as well as those people might not want to do it as they'll maybe think "I don't know anybody well enough yet to be able to buy.

Cool :).

I've managed to dig up some of the old Secret Santa threads for info:

2008:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=48775.msg690093#msg690093

2009:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=58233.0

2010:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=65933.0;all
and
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=66749.0
and
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=66328.msg930621#msg930621

2011:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=72618.0
and
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=73307.msg1010850#msg1010850

2012:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=77277.0

2013:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=81216.0

Ooh, there was even a cookie exchange thread at one point:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=38793.0;all
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=39584.0;all

« Reply #756 on: March 20, 2018, 10:16:14 AM »

Ooh, there was even a cookie exchange thread at one point:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=38793.0;all
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=39584.0;all

haha funny story (to me at least) RE cookie exchanging. Who *doesn't* love a good cookie exchange? I mean, I know it's more difficult when you have dietary restrictions so it makes it a bit less fun, but if people can accommodate that, then YAY, right? At my old office, my friend and I were talking about Christmas and all the things we could make the team get involved in to make the lead-up to Christmas even more exciting. We thought "what if we all do cookies and have a cookie exchange?!" We thought it'd be interesting as we had me (from US), a guy from Poland, another lady from Spain, and the manager was from Cornwall (which she just liked to consider a different country anyways LOL) and then English people. We thought it'd be fun to share what our traditional holiday cookies would be.

This one lady was one person that nobody could really trust. She was the type to just try to be buddy-buddy with everybody (if somebody was pregnant it was "when is OUR baby due?!" or if somebody was engaged it was "When are WE getting married!?" - those types of things) and would try to stir the pot with drama only to then try to tattle after she had caused drama...She is also in her late 40's/early 50's so just honestly it was quite sad. She was the type of person that needed to be "in" on everything while trying to exclude others.. I'm sure you know the type.

Well when we suggested a cookie exchange she instantly made the weird face she'd make every time somebody suggested something that didn't fit in with stereotypical British way of life, like we were insane (the person who was creating the idea with me was English so it's not like I was bringing some crazy foreign idea into the office lol) and she exclaimed "I don't even KNOW What i would make! We don't HAVE Christmas Cookies! What IS a Christmas cookie?!" and we were like "......you genuinely don't have christmas cookies at all....? You make no baked goods for Christmas? Like you can literally make ANY cookie." and she was like "no..I've NEVER heard of this!". She was saying it in a way that was both shocked while also conveying the message that we were weirdos or something. She would do this all the time, even when butting into other people's conversations, so I looked at her point blank (I knew I was leaving the company at this point and gave zero f**ks) and said "I don't know why you're saying it that way. YOU'RE the weird one here as nobody else finds it as outrageous as you. That's okay, we'll all make cookies and share them, but don't come looking for anybody as you've totally just taken yourself out of the equation!". I said it in a joking way but you can see, as what typically happened when she did this, when nobody agreed with her or when somebody called her out on her attitudes/behaviours/comments, she tried to backtrack quietly and then just dropped the subject. I know it was wrong to respond, but it made me feel SO good as I was so sick of her constantly trying to make everybody's personal traditions out to be some weird and foreign concept that she couldn't comprehend! (This woman also constantly talked poorly about her step children - like it was disgraceful! - and claimed things like she "physically could not drive an automatic car. She just wouldn't know what to do." and couldn't understand the idea of iced coffee. "Ugh, I just don't get it....but to each their own...::insert cheeky cow eyeroll::". I was like "you literally drive like you do manual...but DO LESS. You JUST use the accelerator. It's not hard...).

Sorry for the rant but me and my friend had a good laugh about that and anytime somebody would mention cookie swaps or holiday treats we'd just roll our eyes and laugh.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:42:49 AM by x0Kiss0fDeath »
My, how time flies....

« Reply #757 on: March 20, 2018, 10:25:40 AM »
Lol!  That was a pretty awesome rant.

We did a cookie exchange every year in Colorado.  Brought five dozen cookies and left with a HUGE variety of cookies.  It was really great.  No snarky comments from anyone there.  It was spectacular.

Ahhh, life before my allergy family!

« Reply #758 on: March 20, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »
Lol!  That was a pretty awesome rant.

We did a cookie exchange every year in Colorado.  Brought five dozen cookies and left with a HUGE variety of cookies.  It was really great.  No snarky comments from anyone there.  It was spectacular.

Ahhh, life before my allergy family!

hahahaha sorry I just went off on one and it's in small essay format so probably hard to read but whatever. This lady was just the worst and super toxic so it made me feel good to just call her out in the most polite way where "we were all joking around" so she couldn't even make me the bad guy :D

I wouldn't have any issue attempting to make GF/dairy free cookies or anything but I would probably be more afraid to because I would probably screw up on something as simple as not having a cutting board that was exposed to gluten and I wouldn't want to take that risk because I'd feel so bad! I've never done a cookie exchange or anything (as both my friend and I left that last job before Christmas season) but I would never hate on the opportunity to get cookies hahah
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 957
« Reply #759 on: March 20, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »
I used to love cookie exchanges! I'd bring in food that was safe for me but tasty enough to share, and I'd bring home cookies for neighbors/roommates/family. It was a good educational opportunity that restricted diet doesn't mean tasteless :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #760 on: March 20, 2018, 05:10:05 PM »
Cooookies!

C is for cookies, dat's good enough for me!
C is for cookies..... mnom nom nom snarf snarf

« Reply #761 on: March 20, 2018, 05:35:42 PM »
Not gonna lie, I was SOOO annoyed this year.  Our local meetup group had a cookie exchange scheduled and the host cancelled it the day of the event.  I had three dozen cookies that I couldn't even eat just sitting there that I had spent making.  I was not impressed.... 

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #762 on: March 20, 2018, 06:03:33 PM »
So what I'm hearing is that there's interest in a cookie exchange. I think this is definitely something we could do. It would be easier than Secret Santa because it wouldn't have to be a secret. Any takers? If so, I'll start a new thread for it.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #763 on: March 20, 2018, 06:05:27 PM »
So what I'm hearing is that there's interest in a cookie exchange. I think this is definitely something we could do. It would be easier than Secret Santa because it wouldn't have to be a secret. Any takers? If so, I'll start a new thread for it.

I'd do a Secret Santa but not a cookie exchange, it's for the best, trust me!  ;D

• Liked: 957
« Reply #764 on: March 20, 2018, 06:22:53 PM »
I'd do either :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links