Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Back from holiday!  (Read 913 times)

• Liked: 1260
Back from holiday!
« on: July 25, 2017, 12:06:59 PM »
Absolutely shattered but found it hilarious that UK customs this time was actually easier than US customs on my way home! I was saying to my husband how it was funny that I got more questions going back into the US on a US passport than I did with the same passport going through UK customs. The only thing the guy really asked was "now where were you actually born??" and when I said "Boston" he laughed and said "Seriously?! Your accent doesn't sound like you were!" and we had a laugh about how old my picture looked as he said "it's you...but with dark hair!" (as my hair is blonde now). He then told me to just give my BRP a clean as it had sticky stuff from when it was mailed to me on it (the goop that sticks it to the paper) because they need to scan the card but it doesn't scan with the leftover goop and sent me on my way and was SUPER nice/polite (don't get me wrong, I've had bad experiences as well and it's not UK-specific as you can have a bad custom's person *anywhere*). When I landed in the US, I was asked - in a way that was hard to tell if it was actual interest or if they were trying to catch me out or something - why I was back home/where was I staying/where was the wedding I was attending. It certainly wasn't rude but it was definitely not as warm/inviting. I'm happy UK customs was so pleasant as I was pretty much ready to go home and nap my face off so that made the trek home a lot easier! lol
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 6110
Re: Back from holiday!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 12:15:54 PM »
Absolutely shattered but found it hilarious that UK customs this time was actually easier than US customs on my way home! I was saying to my husband how it was funny that I got more questions going back into the US on a US passport than I did with the same passport going through UK customs. The only thing the guy really asked was "now where were you actually born??" and when I said "Boston" he laughed and said "Seriously?! Your accent doesn't sound like you were!" and we had a laugh about how old my picture looked as he said "it's you...but with dark hair!" (as my hair is blonde now). He then told me to just give my BRP a clean as it had sticky stuff from when it was mailed to me on it (the goop that sticks it to the paper) because they need to scan the card but it doesn't scan with the leftover goop and sent me on my way and was SUPER nice/polite (don't get me wrong, I've had bad experiences as well and it's not UK-specific as you can have a bad custom's person *anywhere*). When I landed in the US, I was asked - in a way that was hard to tell if it was actual interest or if they were trying to catch me out or something - why I was back home/where was I staying/where was the wedding I was attending. It certainly wasn't rude but it was definitely not as warm/inviting. I'm happy UK customs was so pleasant as I was pretty much ready to go home and nap my face off so that made the trek home a lot easier! lol

kod, we missed you!  :D

Glad you had a good experience coming in.  Just a small point. Customs is all about bringing in stuff. Immigration is about bringing in yourself.  ;D

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 12:17:24 PM »
kod, we missed you!  :D

Glad you had a good experience coming in.  Just a small point. Customs is all about bringing in stuff. Immigration is about bringing in yourself.  ;D

hahaha I do know this, I just instinctively say customs for some reason and I'm too exhausted at the moment (trying to keep my eyes open at my desk as I type this and struggling!) to manually correct my brain from doing this

Happy to be back! :D
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »
Welcome back!  Did you have a good trip?

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 12:38:50 PM »
Thanks! :) It was definitely nice but I am actually happy to be back here (I keep saying "home", is that weird? I guess both are more or less home). What I will say though is that this is the first time I've needed to put on jeans/a jumper when getting up for the last two weeks....I was pretty much in "Shorts-city; population : everyone" for the last two weeks! When I landed yesterday and realised only really my jumper was appropriate attire, it was a wake up call LOL
My, how time flies....

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 12:45:36 PM »
Oh yes.  When I'm in the UK, home means the US.  When I'm in the US, home is the UK.   ;D. Genuine home is where my kitty cats are. 

Yes, I fear Summer 2017 is over.  It was bound to happen after I bought a portable a/c.   :P

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 12:51:19 PM »
hahaha I do know this, I just instinctively say customs for some reason and I'm too exhausted at the moment (trying to keep my eyes open at my desk as I type this and struggling!) to manually correct my brain from doing this

Happy to be back! :D

Yeah, I thought it might have been the jet lag talking! ;D

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »
Oh yes.  When I'm in the UK, home means the US.  When I'm in the US, home is the UK.   ;D. Genuine home is where my kitty cats are. 

Yes, I fear Summer 2017 is over.  It was bound to happen after I bought a portable a/c.   :P

Shhh noooo.......Don't say that! I'm hoping August pulls out all the stops! lol

Seriously though, that's always the way isn't it! Had you not purchased one, it would be hot as heck! Our fan broke literally the night before we went away so I was a bit relieved that we didn;t come back to more extreme heat as I'm now used to sitting inside an AC'd house! LOL
My, how time flies....

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 12:56:48 PM »
Yeah, I thought it might have been the jet lag talking! ;D

hahah yeah I definitely instinctively call it "customs" instead of "immigration" because the sign is the "Customs and immigration" sign but when I'm not jet-lagged, I usually have the common sense to at least try and correct myself!
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 111
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 07:28:59 PM »

Back in 1999, it was really hot "up North" and I went to Early Learning Centre to buy my two-year-old an inflatable paddling pool. Once we got home, it started raining so I said that we would play outside, "tomorrow". It never got hot enough again until ONE day in 2003 and discovered the paddling pool had a hole and mold by that time.
The kid is nearly 20 now and he still remembers this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 07:38:37 PM »
Back in 1999, it was really hot "up North" and I went to Early Learning Centre to buy my two-year-old an inflatable paddling pool. Once we got home, it started raining so I said that we would play outside, "tomorrow". It never got hot enough again until ONE day in 2003 and discovered the paddling pool had a hole and mold by that time.
The kid is nearly 20 now and he still remembers this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds about right!!

• Liked: 154
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 08:33:49 PM »

I always get hassled a bit going to the states. They seem to think it's odd that I'm not returning. They once asked my husband... when is your wife moving back to America?? Uhhh I'm not lol! Last time they also made me show multiple forms of id plus my brp card. Coming back to the U.K. I never have issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 154
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 08:34:02 PM »
P.s. I hope you enjoyed your holiday!!!

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 09:13:37 AM »
Last time they also made me show multiple forms of id plus my brp card.

SERIOUSLY?! hahaha I'm sort of surprised I haven't as my picture is approaching the 10 year mark (I have to renew next year) and they constantly have to look at my photo, then me, then back at my photo. I've mentioned that I have two licenses, a BRP card, and multiple bank cards if they need additional ID but they never have. I cannot imagine needing to present MULTIPLE ID's to get in to the country of your birth. That's insane to me! lol

Quote from: Eh127929 link=topic=91218.msg1186420#msg1186420 ate=1501011242

P.s. I hope you enjoyed your holiday!!!

I did, thank you! Still jet lagged today after going to bed extra early last night but hoping by the end of the week that will wear off.
My, how time flies....

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 11:47:01 AM »
Immigration officers in Logan Airport are just bastards, I've determined.  I never have issues going into any other airport in the US. Just Logan. These jerks have also been true Massholes to my husband coming in. 

Welcome home!!!!

Just to hijack your thread,because it somehow seems relevant. Nah, not really but I will anyways...... My neighbour works for the UK border agency at various Highlands and Islands Airports. They don't process too many non UK flights here and the only ones that come in are from the EU, not from far afield. Therefore, they're not very used to non-EU folks coming in.  I remember before I got citizenship, they actually had only one person (it wasn't her) on the desk who processed every single EU person before me, the only person in the non-EU queue.

I just laugh that she got stuck with an American as a neighbour.  She's quite nice as a neighbour ,but I bet she could be quite intimidating as a border agent.  She just has that kind of demeanour. 
I'm not travelling too much these days due to budget cuts at work, but when things pick back up, no doubt she'll process me.  She will probably be confused as hell when I hand her my British passport.   

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links