Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Walk in centres  (Read 1170 times)

• Liked: 154
Walk in centres
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:42:54 PM »
Last night I burned my arm really badly on the oven. So I decided to go to the walk in centre where they literally slapped a big bandage on it and sent me my merry way. They didn't even clean the wound.

Now I know you can't do much for burns but I was boggled how quickly they dismissed me. For reference, the burn it roughly the size of an egg..so not massive but big enough.

On the plus side they got an A+ for discreetly asking if this was related to domestic violence.

***edited because I made a typo
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:58:34 PM by Eh127929 »

• Liked: 6110
Re: Walk in centres
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 08:54:16 PM »
Burns are so painful.  :-\\\\  Hope you heal soon.  [smiley=daisy.gif]

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:03:23 PM »
Burns are so painful.  :-\\\\  Hope you heal soon.  [smiley=daisy.gif]

Thanks

• Liked: 537
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:13:54 PM »
Ouch. Burns are the worst! Hope it heals quickly for you.

I constantly get small one's on my hands so I feel for you. 
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »
That's crazy? Was the skin broken?  If so, I'd get some neosporin on it!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
I thought the first aid for burns is to leave it alone .  No ointment or medicine needed.  Loose bandage for protection if necessary . 

• Liked: 585
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 06:40:56 PM »
I thought the first aid for burns is to leave it alone .  No ointment or medicine needed.  Loose bandage for protection if necessary .

Yeah, maybe an ice-pack, but I'm sure I've heard you're not meant to put ointment or cream on it, as that 'holds' the heat in.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »
Yeah, maybe an ice-pack, but I'm sure I've heard you're not meant to put ointment or cream on it, as that 'holds' the heat in.
Never put ice on a burn! It actually makes the injury worse. It freezes parts of the cells or whole cells which can cause them to burst and die.

Always put your burns under cold running water and just leave them there for as long as you can stand it several times until the pain is lessened. You need to get the skin to cool off and stop the injury from getting worse.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 09:08:45 PM »
I ran my arm under cold water before going to the walk in centre. They told me to put an ice pack on it at home. I thought they would have at least cleaned the surrounding area before slapping a bandage on it.. but what do I know?
It's all blistered now and I accidentally scratched part of it at work ): I hate burns.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 09:23:46 PM »
They shouldn't ha e told you to use ice. What is wrong with them?

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Burns-and-scalds/Pages/Introduction.aspx

"Cool the burn with cool or lukewarm running water for 20 minutes – don't use ice, iced water, or any creams or greasy substances such as butter"

• Liked: 585
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 11:04:35 AM »
Never put ice on a burn! It actually makes the injury worse. It freezes parts of the cells or whole cells which can cause them to burst and die.

Always put your burns under cold running water and just leave them there for as long as you can stand it several times until the pain is lessened. You need to get the skin to cool off and stop the injury from getting worse.

By ice-pack, I meant a plastic bag of ice, wrapped in a tea towel.  I keep one in the freezer all the time, and using it has never (yet!) done me any harm.  Maybe the tea towel makes the difference?

Sponsored Links