Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: We're all going on a summer holiday!  (Read 2815 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: We're all going on a summer holiday!
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 05:39:16 PM »
Going to the Labour Conference in Brighton in September. I have never seen JC live!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 584
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 06:07:34 PM »
I'm on holiday right now!

We were in Yorkshire all of last week, with 8 friends, just going round to various real ale pubs and drinking beer.

Now in the 2nd week of my fortnight, I'm having a stay-cation.  At home, sleeping late, lounging about all afternoon watching the telly, having a glass of wine.  Today I actually ventured out and went to Chiquitos for lunch with one of my work colleagues who doesn't work a Wednesday.  It's been nice!  I am very much a homebody, so this is perfect for me.  :)

• Liked: 154
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 09:21:38 PM »
I'm living vicariously through you guys. My work is being so strict thus summer, my department is split into three teams and only one per team can be off at s time. I've literally not been able to take any time off because everyone else is off. threw a little fit the other day because I'm the only one on my team who's not taken any time... and they gave me two days. They said you've got a week in October booked, does that fall on half term? Yes, ok then you can just spend time with your daughter then. I was fuming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 111
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 11:52:05 PM »
I'm living vicariously through you guys. My work is being so strict thus summer, my department is split into three teams and only one per team can be off at s time. I've literally not been able to take any time off because everyone else is off. threw a little fit the other day because I'm the only one on my team who's not taken any time... and they gave me two days. They said you've got a week in October booked, does that fall on half term? Yes, ok then you can just spend time with your daughter then. I was fuming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ugh. I'm sorry to read that. I'd be pissed too.

My last job in the US had a "seniority" holiday system in place. I was generally #25 out of 27 employees so I hardly ever got to have more than two days off at a time and never a holiday because my job was in newspaper production and newspapers are daily.

The absolute last day I ever worked for someone else EVER was the Reading (Berkshire) Evening Post in 1998. It was because I asked to finish my work day three hours early to attend a "sports day" for my then six-year-old son. I asked for the hours off a month early and put in an extra hour daily for five days previously. I was told that my "priority is to the job and family comes second" so she cancelled my leave. I told my boss to kiss my ass.

So, I feel for you Eh127929.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 154
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 08:14:41 AM »
Ugh. I'm sorry to read that. I'd be pissed too.

My last job in the US had a "seniority" holiday system in place. I was generally #25 out of 27 employees so I hardly ever got to have more than two days off at a time and never a holiday because my job was in newspaper production and newspapers are daily.

The absolute last day I ever worked for someone else EVER was the Reading (Berkshire) Evening Post in 1998. It was because I asked to finish my work day three hours early to attend a "sports day" for my then six-year-old son. I asked for the hours off a month early and put in an extra hour daily for five days previously. I was told that my "priority is to the job and family comes second" so she cancelled my leave. I told my boss to kiss my ass.

So, I feel for you Eh127929.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just realized how many typos are in my post! Always happens on my iPad.

Anyways... I had a talk with my husband and as soon as we find a new place to rent I'm handing my notice in *I think* unless things change.

Did I mention that I had gotten two days approved by our resource and planning department then my managers told me they were cancelling because it wasn't a good time for me to be off.. yet it was the only days I could take off. So I kicked off bad.

They used to be great but there's been some changes in the business side of the water industry and we're just bottoms up at the moment. There's more work than ever possible to complete plus the way they treated me with holiday.  I actually have a manager who makes people feel guilty if they don't do overtime. Because your not allowed to have a life outside work apparently, and she managed to be a single mum and work so she has no sympathy for anybody!

Anyways, little rant over :) hope everybody has good holidays you all deserve it :D

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 11:04:59 AM »
Was in Boston for the last two weeks for my best friend's wedding as I was a bridesmaid.

Happy to be home and back with my puppy dog. Not happy to be back at work. Also, missing the amazing beer selection. Trying to figure out the easiest way to have beer sent to me from the US...... lol (Also - missing the sunshine/heat... my tan will fade soon! UGH).
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 11:31:36 AM »
Going to the Labour Conference in Brighton in September. I have never seen JC live!

Here's a present for you:

If you talk to him, tell him to stop with the stupid Brexit thing. 

• Liked: 116
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »
We're going to Dublin for a couple of days and then Scotland (Aberdeenshire and Edinburgh) for the rest of the week.  Normally we'd just go one place for longer but we're piecing together a holiday based on meeting one of my friends from home and going to his friend's wedding, and then stopping at the festival on the way back.  I'm really excited!
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 59
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 07:34:04 PM »
We haven't really managed to have a honeymoon yet (got married in April) because I wasn't sure when I was going to have my passport back from the FLR(M) application. My husband got laid off a month ago and we were hoping to do a big trip while we were both out of work, but it just didn't line up. So he decided he was going to take me to northern Wales for a week (with stops in Liverpool and Chester on the way down). It ended up being great, in part because my great-great-great-great grandfather was born there and we actually managed to find the farm and see it! The people who live there now were friendly beyond my wildest expectations, and it was generally just a very fulfilling experience. Also, Wales is gorgeous.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 07:41:55 PM »
We're going to Dublin for a couple of days and then Scotland (Aberdeenshire and Edinburgh) for the rest of the week.  Normally we'd just go one place for longer but we're piecing together a holiday based on meeting one of my friends from home and going to his friend's wedding, and then stopping at the festival on the way back.  I'm really excited!
I really enjoyed Aberdeen BUT the city folk there are mental. Like bad Glaswegian's x10.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 584
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 08:34:49 PM »
I really enjoyed Aberdeen BUT the city folk there are mental. Like bad Glaswegian's x10.

we call it 'Aberdoom'.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 08:47:23 PM »
we call it 'Aberdoom'.
It seems like there are a lot of homeless folk and drug addicts begging for money out on the streets. And fighting amongst themselves. And take a wrong turn down a side street and it gets scary.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2017, 07:07:52 AM »
If you talk to him, tell him to stop with the stupid Brexit thing.

I know....

It is a tough position he is in. There is a strong vein of Leave running through some parts of Labour.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2017, 09:12:04 AM »
There is a strong vein of Leave running through some parts of Labour.

He is one of them.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »
We haven't really managed to have a honeymoon yet (got married in April) because I wasn't sure when I was going to have my passport back from the FLR(M) application. My husband got laid off a month ago and we were hoping to do a big trip while we were both out of work, but it just didn't line up. So he decided he was going to take me to northern Wales for a week (with stops in Liverpool and Chester on the way down). It ended up being great, in part because my great-great-great-great grandfather was born there and we actually managed to find the farm and see it! The people who live there now were friendly beyond my wildest expectations, and it was generally just a very fulfilling experience. Also, Wales is gorgeous.

Liverpool, in the city centre, is brilliant! :)

For our first anniversary (we also didn't really have a honeymoon), we did a road trip around the UK - mainly because I wanted to see more of the country that I had now lived in for just under a year at that point. We went from the South West all the way up to Scotland, and then back down again the other side and I loved it. I love driving around in general (at the time, it helped as well that I didn't have my license so I wasn't the one doing all the driving  so I didn't really get tired of being in the car haha OOPS) and we pretty much had a rough idea of where we were going for each of our 10 days but would make the final decision (hotel included) like the night or two before we were due to be there. We got some banging hotel deals doing that and it meant that if we LOVED somewhere we could stay longer/if we hated somewhere we could leave ASAP (although the places we hated, we still stayed at, we just left immediately in the morning).

Highly recommend road tripping across the UK to everybody! There are some really beautiful and interesting parts of the country that even my husband had never seen/heard of! We only did 10 day so there's plenty more of the country to explore, but I mainly save that for long weekends now.

RE the people in the barn being beyond friendly, I feel like that is just the way people are in those parts of Wales (but that's just from my own experience). That's so awesome you got to see that!!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab