Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: We're all going on a summer holiday!  (Read 2836 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: We're all going on a summer holiday!
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »
Also - every time I read the title of this, I think of this song :

I think it may have some rude words in it (and it's definitely not going to be everybody's cup of tea as I know most people - if not all - won't like it but it's come from a TV show lol) so don't click if there's a chance you'll be offended.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 585
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2017, 11:13:14 AM »
Sadly, when I see the name of this thread, all I can think of is:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DxqdIA75sc[/youtube]

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2017, 01:02:55 PM »

hah yep, the video i pasted uses a sample of this for it's background. I had never heard this song at all until hearing the one I posted on a TV show and my husband mentioned something about it being taken from somewhere else so I went and looked it up to find what you had posted :)  It's more that it's not the first version I heard so it's not the first one to pop into my mind.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
Hey! Don't be dissin' Cliff Richard.

His "Devil Woman" and "Wired for Sound" are masterpieces...lol

Actually, Cliff was on some US talk show back in the mid-70's and it was the first time I was aware that people spoke English with different accents. I was totally transfixed while Cliff was talking and I started learning about England around this time. So, I started young as an Anglophile (I was six or seven). I have Cliff to thank for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »
Thread was titled for the Cliff Richard song....  though it sounds nothing like that when my husband sings it!   :P

• Liked: 223
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 01:51:45 PM »
We did a two week Scandinavia trip with my parents last summer. Driving along a fjord, we passed a sign pointing to a village with our surname. Naturally, we pulled over, asked around and eventually found a family with our same surname. We went through both family's genealogy and it doesn't look like we're directly related, bit they still had us over for lunch and a tour of their farm the next day (which took all afternoon and led to us meeting their neighbour and touring the neighbour's house, too). It was great.

DH and I spent 6 months in Europe (Nov 16 - May 17) so we don't have any trip planned for the summer this year. We do have a garden going, so we're happy to keep on that over the growing season. We always miss it when my parents plan to come over in the summer. Summer holidays make sense, but it's hard for a gardener to take a summer holiday without the garden suffering. ;)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2017, 02:08:42 PM »
We do have a garden going, so we're happy to keep on that over the growing season. We always miss it when my parents plan to come over in the summer. Summer holidays make sense, but it's hard for a gardener to take a summer holiday without the garden suffering. ;)

I've tried two years in a row to get a proper garden growing and I am total sh*t at it. Last year I, I realised by the end of it that I had planted things too closely together so things were flowering but never actually growing veg (I realised it must be their proximity because when I removed a few (which gave more space to the remainders), I started to get veg but it was so late in the year at that point that it never great big enough to eat. This year I FINALLLYYYY managed to get like 3 tomatoes to grow! I was so excited....then I went to the US for two weeks and realised WAY too late that nobody was there to water them...We eventually got his sister to run over there -although it was only about a week until we'd be home anyways - and it did rain every so often so, THANKFULLY, they hadn't totally died by the time we got back! :)
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2017, 03:39:42 PM »
I've tried two years in a row to get a proper garden growing and I am total sh*t at it. Last year I, I realised by the end of it that I had planted things too closely together so things were flowering but never actually growing veg (I realised it must be their proximity because when I removed a few (which gave more space to the remainders), I started to get veg but it was so late in the year at that point that it never great big enough to eat. This year I FINALLLYYYY managed to get like 3 tomatoes to grow! I was so excited....then I went to the US for two weeks and realised WAY too late that nobody was there to water them...We eventually got his sister to run over there -although it was only about a week until we'd be home anyways - and it did rain every so often so, THANKFULLY, they hadn't totally died by the time we got back! :)

We went to Grey's Farm by Heathlands Garden Centre a couple of weekends ago and it was great fun.  Prices roughly the same as the super market but the carrots and broccoli were Soooo good!

But my kid's nursery manages to grow carrots, potatoes, and onions even with dozens of kids messing with them.  Really makes me think I should plant some next year.  My aunt has a huge vegetable garden on her land 20 acres in Georgia).  It is SO FUN to go pick a fresh salad every night!  PhatBettle probably does the same!

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2017, 03:41:41 PM »
We went to Grey's Farm by Heathlands Garden Centre a couple of weekends ago and it was great fun.  Prices roughly the same as the super market but the carrots and broccoli were Soooo good!

But my kid's nursery manages to grow carrots, potatoes, and onions even with dozens of kids messing with them.  Really makes me think I should plant some next year.  My aunt has a huge vegetable garden on her land 20 acres in Georgia).  It is SO FUN to go pick a fresh salad every night!  PhatBettle probably does the same!

My mom always had tomato and cucumber plants (we also had zucchini and some other things) so it was nice when we'd have a garden salad and my mom would say "go grab a big tomato or two and a cucumber from the garden" :) Nothing fresher than literally out of the garden.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 533
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2017, 03:57:10 PM »
He is one of them.

I have to work hard to get around this.

You know, it has been shown that actualy JC campaigned remain harder than anyone.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 20
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2017, 02:24:11 PM »
We just got back from 10 days in the US- Chicago, Illinois (where my family is) and San Antonio, TX. We currently live in Edinburgh and play to stay the entire month of Aug to get our fill of our first Fringe Festival. ;D

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2017, 03:39:04 PM »

*shudder* 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
Summer holidays make sense, but it's hard for a gardener to take a summer holiday without the garden suffering. ;)

Yeap, very true!

I have hydroponic systems for the tomatoes and self watering containers for anything else in the greenhouse. For the allotment mini polytunnel, I have self watering spikes.  I've not needed to do anything else at the allotment or at home, because it rains a lot in Scotland.  I do need folks to come and look after the chickens though at home,  so tell them to help themselves to veg that is ready. 

My mom always had tomato and cucumber plants (we also had zucchini and some other things) so it was nice when we'd have a garden salad and my mom would say "go grab a big tomato or two and a cucumber from the garden" :) Nothing fresher than literally out of the garden.

Tonight we have freshly picked French beans (green and purple), purple mangetout, and salad leaves of all kinds.    I also picked the last of my cherries, so yummy.
I'm thisclose to having some more red tomatoes ready.  Nothing beats fresh tomatoes in my mind.

I've been on my summer holidays, feels like ages ago in early July.  We spent 10 days in Yorkshire.  Had a family friend get married, so also had my Mom and one of my sisters with us.    Was very nice and relaxing. 

That's so horrible for the folks who can't get time off from work.   Outrageous, I say.  I luckily work for a company that is really awesome about work/life balance. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2017, 12:30:17 PM »
We currently live in Edinburgh and play to stay the entire month of Aug to get our fill of our first Fringe Festival. ;D

When husband and I arrived in Edinburgh on our roadtrip around the UK, we accidentally ended up there for Fringe Festival. We were so confused at what was happening at first with all the additional street performers doing some arguably weird sh*t up and down the royal mile. It was awesome! haha
My, how time flies....

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2017, 12:32:17 PM »

Nothing beats fresh tomatoes in my mind..

In complete and total agreement on that!
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab