Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: We're all going on a summer holiday!  (Read 2837 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: We're all going on a summer holiday!
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »
I did Rome, Naples, Sorrento, Pompeii and Vesuvius last year :).

We took the high speed train from Rome to Naples (we stayed in Naples for a few days), and then took the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii and Sorrento. If you want to go to Vesuvius as well, there are bus tours you can take from one of the train stations.

https://www.rometoolkit.com/naples_visit/naples_circumvesuviana_trains.html

Beware of pickpockets though, especially on the Circumvesuviana train, which can get very crowded and is filled with unsuspecting tourists. We were crammed into a train car with an American family last year, and the husband was pickpocketed right in front of us - he could feel it happening! The pickpocketer got off the train at the next stop, then got onto a different carriage further down.

Thanks! :)

Definitely been warned about the pickpockets so we will all be on super high alert!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2017, 02:55:42 PM »
Thanks! :)

Definitely been warned about the pickpockets so we will all be on super high alert!

No problem :).

I just made sure I had nothing in my pockets and that I held my bag tightly, in front of my body, the whole time.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2017, 03:06:46 PM »
haha nice! Was he impressed??

Yes, indeed. He was especially impressed with the 2' tall Eiffel Tower sculpture complete with blinking LED lights which can be found in the gift shop on the middle level for a mere €65. Happily I was able to talk him back down, and we wound up with a 4" Eiffel Tower sculpture for €5.99.

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2017, 04:04:10 PM »
Yes, indeed. He was especially impressed with the 2' tall Eiffel Tower sculpture complete with blinking LED lights which can be found in the gift shop on the middle level for a mere €65. Happily I was able to talk him back down, and we wound up with a 4" Eiffel Tower sculpture for €5.99.

Well done making it to the gift shop! hhaha The second the lift got close to the bottom on our way back down the tower, we were SWARMED (no exaggeration) by people trying to flog all kinds of crap (including the 4" eiffel tower). We kept saying no to the pricing as one guy kept following us for a short bit, shouting out lower prices. I can't remember what we got it for in the end, but we eventually caved because we were a bit tipsy and thought it was hilarious so bought one.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2017, 05:39:19 PM »
Well done making it to the gift shop! hhaha The second the lift got close to the bottom on our way back down the tower, we were SWARMED (no exaggeration) by people trying to flog all kinds of crap (including the 4" eiffel tower). We kept saying no to the pricing as one guy kept following us for a short bit, shouting out lower prices. I can't remember what we got it for in the end, but we eventually caved because we were a bit tipsy and thought it was hilarious so bought one.

Haha, yeah, we waded through the many crap sellers, too, but they mostly left us alone. I think the fact that all of our 4" Eiffel tower needs had obviously been met helped.

« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2017, 08:08:47 PM »
Haha, yeah, we waded through the many crap sellers, too, but they mostly left us alone. I think the fact that all of our 4" Eiffel tower needs had obviously been met helped.

Hahaha that is fair! Probably realised there's only so many 4" E.T.'s one family can use
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2017, 01:48:53 PM »
Hahaha that is fair! Probably realised there's only so many 4" E.T.'s one family can use

My wife was there recently and got the price down to less than a Euro each.  They make great souvenirs and presents to give little kids when you visit the states.

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »
My wife was there recently and got the price down to less than a Euro each.  They make great souvenirs and presents to give little kids when you visit the states.

I'm hoping you know these children you're handing them out to on your visits to the states?  ::)
My, how time flies....

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2017, 03:08:18 PM »
I'm hoping you know these children you're handing them out to on your visits to the states?  ::)

Get your mind out of the gutter girl! 

I was thinking of you the other day because my daughter is doing her Duke of Edinburgh award and has to choose a sport to commit to doing each week.  She wanted trapeze but it's a giant PITA to get her to Greenwich every weekend so we compromised on static trapeze near Waterloo.  The place also does hoops and pole dancing.

« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2017, 03:37:43 PM »
Get your mind out of the gutter girl! 

I was thinking of you the other day because my daughter is doing her Duke of Edinburgh award and has to choose a sport to commit to doing each week.  She wanted trapeze but it's a giant PITA to get her to Greenwich every weekend so we compromised on static trapeze near Waterloo.  The place also does hoops and pole dancing.

I still don't totally understand the whole "D.o.E. award" thing (like what you have to do etc. etc.) but that sounds like a fun qualification! If she's brave and isn't worried about bruising, she should totally do hoops! :D
My, how time flies....

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2017, 04:04:07 PM »
She's only against the curtain looking things because we've seen too many boring circus acts using it.  She may end up doing hoops. 

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2017, 04:06:23 PM »
The D of E seems pretty neat, they have to do sports and volunteer for a year or so, then do two really hard hikes in the Brecon Beacons.  Makes the CV look good.

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
She's only against the curtain looking things because we've seen too many boring circus acts using it.  She may end up doing hoops.

Hoops is much more....intense....than the curtains I think (just guessing, as I've not done the curtain looking things....but I have got the big-a** bruises to prove how intense the hoops are haha
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 56
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2017, 06:01:16 PM »
I am planning my trip around Sept. I want to see Depeche Mode with my sister! I figure that is about the time they will be deciding our fate and I'll be pacing the floor! That is so cool! Small world! I am a DC native but my sis and her kids are there. We thought about moving there but it worked better for me to come to Edinburgh. There is a restraunt I think in Tampa that caught my eye called Mad Dogs and Englishmen! Maybe they will have some familiar eats for your crew!xx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Whoa, I just saw this now - we are currently on our (finally!) summer holiday for almost 3 weeks in California, which was centered on the Depeche show in Santa Barbara. Did you get to see your show? The Stockholm show we went to in May was a crap crowd and uncomfortable, but this one was amazing, the SB Bowl is a fabulous venue. Bonus points in that we are staying in an Airbnb in Montecito and realized we are a 2 minute drive from Martin's house. Needless to say we have done a few drive-bys the last few days. :D

Its been quite the trip - Flew from London to Stockholm late after work, overnighted in the airport hotel and then flew to LA the next morning. Drove up to Carmel/Pebble Beach/Monterey/Santa Cruz for 5 days, then drove down to Cambria for three days to do southern Big Sur, and then on to Santa Barbara where my mom joined us to see the show. We head home Friday after two more days here in Santa Barbara and two days in LA (seeing partner's friends from his hometown who moved there), via Stockholm where we are stopping overnight to go into town and meetup with his parents for dinner and then flying back to London.

This was my first real vacation in years where I wasn't just going somewhere to visit family, but it was also doubling as a scoping trip to plan for the future. Lot of Swedes in this part of the world (we had a tv celebrity on our flight) but quite a few Brits as well!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab