Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US bank account and credit card  (Read 708 times)

• Liked: 449
US bank account and credit card
« on: July 31, 2017, 10:43:53 AM »
Hi my partner has her visa now and is moving this week. She has been planning to keep a bank account open in US and a credit card open so that she doesn't lose her credit rating and we can use her US account when we are visiting. She has given her sister's address. Do you know the legal position on this?
Met Nov 2015
Married 11 April 17
Online visa app 24 April 2017 (Priority)
Biometrics 5th May 2017
App tracked and received Sheffiled 10th May 2017
Email confirming receipt (of online application) 25th May 2017
Email asking for passport, appendix 2 etc (which has all been sent) 30th May 2017 (Discovered solicitor may have advised to send to wrong processing centre address - letters, and phone calls - still unclear).
Confirmed receipt of docs 17th July
Return label requested and emailed 17th July
Decision email 26th July
Visa 28th July

• Liked: 6110
Re: US bank account and credit card
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 11:12:03 AM »
Hi my partner has her visa now and is moving this week. She has been planning to keep a bank account open in US and a credit card open so that she doesn't lose her credit rating and we can use her US account when we are visiting. She has given her sister's address. Do you know the legal position on this?

I think a lot of people use the addresses of family. She may not need to do that though. Our US banks and credit cards happily mail our statements to the UK. Useful extra items of mail for the FLR requirement!  :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 11:30:10 AM »
I have kept my bank account in the US as well as I use this for when husband and I visit (i send our travel money to it using transferwise) and I also keep it for paying my student loans from. I did decide to keep my parent's address as my address and my mom had my dad added as a secondary person on the account. Will just say that it's been useful in terms of needing a person who can resolve issues on your behalf if you are unable to. Mine is a local bank so it's not very big so my dad being able to do things on my behalf (such as order a new card) as been totally useful so might be something to consider if you don't end up doing as larrabee suggested and moving the address to her new UK one. Larrabee has a point that it could be really useful in future for further visa requirements so definitely something to consider :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »
I have kept my bank account in the US as well as I use this for when husband and I visit (i send our travel money to it using transferwise) and I also keep it for paying my student loans from. I did decide to keep my parent's address as my address and my mom had my dad added as a secondary person on the account. Will just say that it's been useful in terms of needing a person who can resolve issues on your behalf if you are unable to. Mine is a local bank so it's not very big so my dad being able to do things on my behalf (such as order a new card) as been totally useful so might be something to consider if you don't end up doing as larrabee suggested and moving the address to her new UK one. Larrabee has a point that it could be really useful in future for further visa requirements so definitely something to consider :)

Thanks both! That's really helpful and reassuring. She has thought about adding her sister to the account - they've not managed to be in the right State at the same time yet, but hopefully she could do that on  a future visit if needed.

Right, next task to get her name added to every account here and attempt to resume paper billing! That's a UK 'Right' BTW, she says I say it all the time. Lol
Met Nov 2015
Married 11 April 17
Biometrics 5th May 2017
Email asking for passport, appendix 2 etc (which has all been sent) 30th May 2017 (Discovered solicitor may have advised to send to wrong processing centre address - letters, and phone calls - still unclear).
Decision email 26th July
Visa 28th July

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »
Thanks both! That's really helpful and reassuring. She has thought about adding her sister to the account - they've not managed to be in the right State at the same time yet, but hopefully she could do that on  a future visit if needed.

Do they both actually need to be there for this? Or could she not go in by herself and have her sister added to the account without her sister physically being there? My mom was able to add my dad without me even being there but I think that was because of the fact that my mom works there and it it's a relatively small local bank and she has a copy of my letter to whomever stating that she is my proxy so can speak on my behalf and I provided her with an email that I was happy for my father to be added. I didn't have to sign or do anything. Obviously might be different at her bank but might be worth asking just to get it out of the way if that's the choice she wants to make.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 716
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 12:06:27 PM »
We kept our US Bank and credit card and it has both our UK address and our daughter's US address for correspondence if needed.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 12:15:03 PM »
Do they both actually need to be there for this? Or could she not go in by herself and have her sister added to the account without her sister physically being there? My mom was able to add my dad without me even being there but I think that was because of the fact that my mom works there and it it's a relatively small local bank and she has a copy of my letter to whomever stating that she is my proxy so can speak on my behalf and I provided her with an email that I was happy for my father to be added. I didn't have to sign or do anything. Obviously might be different at her bank but might be worth asking just to get it out of the way if that's the choice she wants to make.

Thanks! I'll check.
Met Nov 2015
Married 11 April 17
Biometrics 5th May 2017
Decision email 26th July
Visa 28th July

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 12:15:37 PM »
We kept our US Bank and credit card and it has both our UK address and our daughter's US address for correspondence if needed.

Thank you!
Met Nov 2015
Married 11 April 17
Biometrics 5th May 2017
Decision email 26th July
Visa 28th July

• Liked: 537
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 06:05:33 PM »
I kept my US bank account. My mom's on mine, I never got a new one after we opened it when I was 16. She was on it to help me build my credit. 😊

It made transferring money around then easy and even easier now.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab