Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Marriage Tax Allowance (UK)  (Read 2324 times)

• Liked: 1
Marriage Tax Allowance (UK)
« on: August 01, 2017, 02:05:14 PM »
Good afternoon,

has anyone had any success applying for marriage tax allowance? My wife has a spouse visa and we are unable to find out if we are eligible to apply for the allowance. She has no recourse to public funds, which is causing the confusion.

• Liked: 21
Re: Marriage Tax Allowance (UK)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 05:18:13 PM »
The marriage allowance is not widely applicable. A reasonable summary of the allowance is on the government website at
https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 07:58:45 PM »
Good afternoon,

has anyone had any success applying for marriage tax allowance? My wife has a spouse visa and we are unable to find out if we are eligible to apply for the allowance. She has no recourse to public funds, which is causing the confusion.

All marriage allowance does, is allow one of you to transfer some of your personal allowance to the other. You would not be receiving money from the public purse and it is not on the list of public funds.

Public funds include a range of benefits that are given to people on a low income, as well as housing support. These are:

income-based jobseeker’s allowance
    income support
    child tax credit
    universal credit
    working tax credit
    a social fund payment
    child benefit
    housing benefit
    council tax benefit
    council tax reduction
    domestic rate relief (Northern Ireland)
    state pension credit
    attendance allowance
    severe disablement allowance
    personal independence payment
    carer’s allowance
    disability living allowance
    an allocation of local authority housing
    local authority homelessness assistance

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds--2/public-funds

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 09:52:27 PM »
Thank you for the replies.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
We did the Marriage Tax Allowance recently. I asked the question to HMRC anyways, even though I know it isn't public funds. I also asked Martin Lewis from Money Saving Expert and he said as long as we're tax payers then it's fine. We had no problems getting it (well - it was held a bit until I submitted my self assessment as I am self employed and then got a bit confusing but then it was sorted and my husband got a refund for the last year we had been married)

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 12:03:55 PM »
We did the Marriage Tax Allowance recently. I asked the question to HMRC anyways, even though I know it isn't public funds. I also asked Martin Lewis from Money Saving Expert and he said as long as we're tax payers then it's fine. We had no problems getting it (well - it was held a bit until I submitted my self assessment as I am self employed and then got a bit confusing but then it was sorted and my husband got a refund for the last year we had been married)

You're good Bri but I wouldn't rely on other departments/experts to be familiar with immigration regulations.  As we know, even the UKVI call line are unreliable at best and down right dangerous to listen to at worst!

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 09:22:28 AM »
You're good Bri but I wouldn't rely on other departments/experts to be familiar with immigration regulations.  As we know, even the UKVI call line are unreliable at best and down right dangerous to listen to at worst!

I only asked if it was public funds and it's not. Trust me, I did my research before doing this because I wouldn't risk anything, especially after having UKVI give me such horrible "information" once before.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 09:26:18 AM »
I only asked if it was public funds and it's not. Trust me, I did my research before doing this because I wouldn't risk anything, especially after having UKVI give me such horrible "information" once before.

Yeah, you had a narrow escape last time because of that!  :)

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 10:11:44 AM »
Yeah, you had a narrow escape last time because of that!  :)

Forever grateful for this group for that! My situation would be a lot different now.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab