Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Summer Camp  (Read 2474 times)

• Liked: 154
Re: Summer Camp
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 08:04:30 PM »
My aunt (USC) has lived in Nigeria for 20+ years. Every few years, one of her kids visits family in the US for the summer and goes to the camp we used to go to as kids. I think they're super lucky to be able to spend time in the US at camp.

We don't have kids, but when we do, I'm sure we'll want to ship them off to grandma and grandpa's for camp at least once. ;D

I thought about this because there is a huge camp a couple hours from my parents...but how would it work? School breaks run on different time periods. My two best friends are teachers back home and they've just gone back to school, yet here we're just starting summer break.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 08:48:45 AM »
I thought about this because there is a huge camp a couple hours from my parents...but how would it work? School breaks run on different time periods. My two best friends are teachers back home and they've just gone back to school, yet here we're just starting summer break.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I know a lot of Florida and other Southern state schools get out in May and are heading back already, where English schools just seemed to have broken up.

Scotland has a different school schedule and having broken up in early July and heading back next week, their time off is bang smack in the middle of the New England summertime (as they get out late June/early July depending on snow days and go back very late August/early September)  - so wouldn't be a problem for my kids.

So, depending on where in the US you'd want to send your kids to summer camp, you'd probably be okay, otherwise, you'd probably have to ship them off straight away to catch the overlap weeks. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 11:45:57 AM »
Maybe, someday, some innovative people will start a summercamp in this country that runs on these holidays!

I never got to go to sleep-away camp type summer camps :(
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 12:58:44 PM »
Maybe, someday, some innovative people will start a summercamp in this country that runs on these holidays!

The thought has crossed my mind.  Problems that I run into are no money and requiring a shedload of land... 

Jimbo, there may be a camp care package heading your way!
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »
Oh man!  I'm so excited!

Summer Camp
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 01:29:20 PM »
There's a camp that seems like it does all the activities we'd expect from an American style camp:
https://campwilderness.co.uk/

From the website:

"Days at camp are spent participating in a host of exciting activities, from traditional fire-lighting and shelter-building, to archery and wild swimming. And with evenings spent enjoying big bushtucker feasts, playing football and rounders in the fields, and roasting marshmallows over the campfire, Camp Wilderness is the perfect place to make great friends and long-lasting memories."

My boy went there last week and seemed to like it.  He certainly came back absolutely filthy and had a hard time saying good bye to a certain little girl. 

Still, I didn't get the impression that there was a big camp culture, with nicknames and songs and stuff. 

We picked him up from one camp on Friday, then he was off to a different one on Saturday for another week.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 01:31:43 PM by jimbocz »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »
Oh yeah, that looks pretty cool! 

I just thought too that there are of course scout camps.

Aww, no camp culture though? Aww, I can still sing all the lyrics to the camp songs I grew up with and remember many of the oral traditions (stories) that were passed down.  My Mom knew the same songs and stories we did, because she was a counselor at the camp when she was a teenager and they were still telling and singing them 20 years later.

I always think of this show when I think of American Summer Camp.

You're stuck with me!

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 01:48:12 PM »

This show was the best!!! :D ahahha I still know the words to the intro hahaha

The thought has crossed my mind.  Problems that I run into are no money and requiring a shedload of land... 

I do agree that it would definitely be expensive...Maybe for the day one of us wins the lotto, eh...? :)
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 03:52:57 PM »
Oh yeah, that looks pretty cool! 

I just thought too that there are of course scout camps.

Aww, no camp culture though? Aww, I can still sing all the lyrics to the camp songs I grew up with and remember many of the oral traditions (stories) that were passed down.  My Mom knew the same songs and stories we did, because she was a counselor at the camp when she was a teenager and they were still telling and singing them 20 years later.

I loved Salute your Shorts! I just sang along without having heard it or seen it in years!

Our camp songs were mostly parodies of typical camp songs - Muff the Tragic Wagon (Puff the Magic Dragon) was my fave. ;D

It looks like my old camp has week-long sessions until mid-August, so hopefully something would work out in the (not near by any means) future!
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 537
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 06:18:05 PM »
I loved Salute your Shorts! I just sang along without having heard it or seen it in years!

Our camp songs were mostly parodies of typical camp songs - Muff the Tragic Wagon (Puff the Magic Dragon) was my fave. ;D

It looks like my old camp has week-long sessions until mid-August, so hopefully something would work out in the (not near by any means) future!
That's one of my favourite shows! That and Hey Dude circa 1995/96. I could sing you most of the song eight now.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 06:58:30 PM »
That's one of my favourite shows! That and Hey Dude circa 1995/96. I could sing you most of the song eight now.

I LOVED Hey Dude!

• Liked: 154
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 07:31:37 PM »
There's a camp that seems like it does all the activities we'd expect from an American style camp:
https://campwilderness.co.uk/

From the website:

"Days at camp are spent participating in a host of exciting activities, from traditional fire-lighting and shelter-building, to archery and wild swimming. And with evenings spent enjoying big bushtucker feasts, playing football and rounders in the fields, and roasting marshmallows over the campfire, Camp Wilderness is the perfect place to make great friends and long-lasting memories."

My boy went there last week and seemed to like it.  He certainly came back absolutely filthy and had a hard time saying good bye to a certain little girl. 

Still, I didn't get the impression that there was a big camp culture, with nicknames and songs and stuff. 

We picked him up from one camp on Friday, then he was off to a different one on Saturday for another week.

The place we send our daughter for half term/summer holiday has a huge outside area that resembles an outdoor play area at camp with tire swings,'zip lines etc.

They also do what they call eco lab days but it's basically fire roasting marshmallows etc, playing in mud identifying bugs etc.

She loves it. Monday I picked her up covered in mud from head to toe.

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 10:54:37 AM »
Thanks guys, I now want to go back and watch very old Nick shows....
My, how time flies....

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »
For me, the best thing about camp is that the kids are gone for a week! 
Tomorrow is our last day of freedom so I have booked an eight course tasting menu at a Thai Restaurant called "Sticky Mango"

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 12:53:59 PM »
One more thing about camp:
At the camp my kids are at, you can send emails to your kid and they print them out and give it to them. 
Of course this provides maximum opportunity to embarrass my 14 year old, so I sent her a letter decorated with Barbie and My Little Pony . 

Sponsored Links