Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Deduction question  (Read 945 times)

• Liked: 0
Deduction question
« on: December 03, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »
I've about met the threshold to be able to deduct some medical expenses this year on my US taxes. So I'm wondering if I can include in my medical expenses the cost of travel to the US if I plan to use the trip for going to see my US doctor?

Or would this be a huge red flag for the IRS and get me in bigger trouble than it's worth?

• Liked: 5
Re: Deduction question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 10:57:14 PM »
No you can't do that.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 06:15:59 PM »
Transportation and lodging costs incurred on trips primarily for an essential to medical care are deductible medical expenses on your US return.

Helen
www.ht-tax.co.uk
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

• Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 06:50:20 PM »
I am sorry Doug, I read your post as that you would be visiting the US in general and would also visit your doctor, while in the States, not that you were visiting the States solely to visit your doctor. 

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 11:42:05 AM »
Thanks Helen and Sara. That's basically the gist of my question. I am going to do both - see fam and the doc. Since travel expenses can be deductible what I'm wondering is if there is practical advice in how to ensure that if the IRS asks questions I can prove the trip was to see the doc. For instance, should I go to the doc first thing when I get to the states or does that matter? The IRS regs don't say the trip has to be solely for a med visit, just "primarily" or something. So how would you prove "primarily" if questions are asked?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab