Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just a quick panic attack ;)  (Read 1554 times)

• Liked: 60
Just a quick panic attack ;)
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:08:09 PM »
Somehow, praise be to whichever god(s) you care for, after only two weeks of job searching, I had a phone interview. Now I have an honest-to-goodness real interview on Monday. The job sounds ok - not exactly what I wanted, a tiny step backwards on my career progression, and a big pay cut, but that was to be expected - but I'm finding myself really nervous anyway.

This isn't the least bit informative as far as posts go; I just wanted to get that off my chest. The only response my husband has had was "don't worry, you'll be fine". Anyone have any words of wisdom? Or maybe some whisky they want to send me to calm my nerves?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:43:46 PM by brenzie »

• Liked: 154
Re: Just a quick panic attack ;)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:13:07 PM »
Good luck   be yourself, research the company and position. I'm rooting for ya!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 111
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 11:26:15 PM »
Great news and sending you many good luck "vibes" your way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 11:27:51 PM »
I don't have any advice but I can provide whisky!  ;D
Good luck!  ;D

• Liked: 676
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 12:54:11 AM »
My grandmother, who was born in horse-and-buggy days and lived to see men land on the moon, and just a bit longer, would tell you that if it's a fit, and if you're meant to have that job, you will get the job. If it's not a fit for what's planned for you in the scheme of things, you won't, but that is because there is something else coming for you.

The lady was one of 12 kids, who was born in a two-room house in the slums in Limerick. She went to the USA alone, with a suitcase and $20 when she was 18. She had an amazing life - and she knew a heck of a lot about how things work out, by the end of it.  I have no idea how she was right so often, but she almost always was. So I'll second what I know she would say if it was me in this situation:  If you're meant to get this job, hon, it will be yours. If not, something better is coming.

Just go and be yourself - be proud of what you can do and don't downplay any of it. But don't take it personally if it doesn't work out, this time.  :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 02:52:13 AM »
I would echo Eh127929... research the company and the position, and be yourself.  And relax and enjoy it.  You're meeting someone; go have an interesting chat.

And everything Nan D. said!  It's not personal.  The interview is like a first date.  You're getting to know each other to see if there's compatibility.  If it doesn't feel right, don't try to force it.  But if it's a good match, you'll know.  I hope you get that happy glow of knowing.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »
if it's a fit, and if you're meant to have that job, you will get the job. If it's not a fit for what's planned for you in the scheme of things, you won't, but that is because there is something else coming for you.

Or as we'd say in these parts, 'what's for ye won't go by ye'.
Good luck, brenzie!  :)

• Liked: 1892
Just a quick panic attack 😉
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 09:16:15 AM »
Good luck!  Remember, if you like the job after you've heard all about it and think it will be a good fit, tell them you want the job.  A lot of people think that it's assumed, but it always helps to make it clear.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:17:26 AM by jimbocz »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 04:46:18 PM »
Good luck and happy vibes!
And hey, you know, interviewing for the experience is always good too. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 154
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 07:24:36 PM »
Or as we'd say in these parts, 'what's for ye won't go by ye'.
Good luck, brenzie!  :)

lol I work in England but my customer base is Scotland and I keep repeating that in my fav Scottish customers voice

• Liked: 253
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:22 PM »
Research the company. Even a small random factoid shows that you took the time to do your research.

I always come with three questions for the interviewer, which seems to impress them.

I'm wishing I had better advice and good luck as I haven't had any myself yet lol.
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 957
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 03:39:34 AM »
Research the company. Even a small random factoid shows that you took the time to do your research.

I always come with three questions for the interviewer, which seems to impress them.

I'm wishing I had better advice and good luck as I haven't had any myself yet lol.

In the US I would usually research the company and then have quite a few questions I want to ask. The best interviews, they tell me enough about the team, the job, and the company that I might only have to ask one or two. You know it's a good fit if they tell you everything you wanted to know without having to pry it out of them. If someone asks me what my greatest weaknesses are and read a list of questions verbatim without any back n forth, I generally realize that I do not want to work there because they don't even know how to talk to a person about the job they're hiring for. I am looking forward to getting through a few UK interviews to see if they are similar though, as I'm sure there are cultural differences in interview styles too!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 10:00:32 AM »
There are some spectacularly poor interviewers in the world. I once had one ask me, with all seriousness, what dinosaur I would be if I had a choice, and why. They had no idea why they were asking the question, it turned out later, but it was on a list of questions they'd gotten out of a "how to" help manual for interviewers.  My assumption was that it was to see how quick on my feet I was and how well I could  communicate. They later said they didn't know why it was on the list and had never heard of my dinosaur or what my answer "meant".   ::)

On the flip side, I have been the interviewer and found the process extremely draining. I was sometimes amazed with the responses to questions - some bordering on the incoherent (you ask a specific question and get a totally unrelated answer).  And there was the one woman who asked as her first question who her supervisor would be - she said she would not work for a woman supervisor (filed in the "do not hire" batch immediately)... at least she was honest.  And there was guy with the PhD who was applying as an entry level clerical at minimum wage - that raised so many flags:  why would a PhD apply and gee, he's not going to stay here long and, also, how is he going to fit in with the high-school dropouts currently working in that area? (No other work available in that town and he had kids to feed was the actual answer, but sometimes you have to leave your educational credentials off your resume to be seriously considered. Been there, done that, so I passed his file to the hiring manager for his consideration - he promptly weeded the poor guy out. I'd have hired him - he would have showed up every day and done his job to feed those kids!)

So, yeah, interviewing.  You go into a room in a completely artificial construct and it's stressful no matter which side of the desk you sit on.

Regardless of my running off at the keyboard here I actually don't tend to talk a lot and am normally very to-the-point. It's not a good trait to have in a "touchy-feely" employment environment, but a real asset in some job situations. (My aptitude tests say I'd make a great fire-watcher. Sounds like a lovely job!) Since so often you have to get through the chatty HR people before you get to meet the people who actually matter, sometimes you never actually have a chance at a job for which you are really very well suited. While I am hoping things run differently here, I am willing to guess that a lot is the same.  Should I ever get to the stage here of having a face-to-face interview it's going to be an interesting experience in culture clash, I think. {insert anticipatory wince here}
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:13:01 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 60
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 06:16:29 PM »
I had mixed feelings about how it went - some things felt like they went well, others not so much - and there was a definite cringe when they asked what salary I was looking for, but I got asked for a second interview next week. So something went right! Fingers crossed  ;D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 06:20:17 PM »
Congratulations on the second interview, and good luck with it!  You're definitely doing something right!  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab