Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Changin IPhone to UK carrier  (Read 2483 times)

Changin IPhone to UK carrier
« on: August 03, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »
Has anyone brought their IPhone with them from america and changed out the sim so they could use the phone with a UK carrier?  I currently have an iphone se with verizon in america.  i'll be headed over to the UK in october, and i'd like to keep my phone.  whats the process for doing this?

• Liked: 1891
Re: Changin IPhone to UK carrier
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 03:47:26 PM »
Dennis is our iPhone expert, he's answered this before and I bet you can find the old thread.  Maybe he'll be along for the definite answer, but I'm almost certain it will work fine as long as your phone is unlocked.  Just get a sim only plan from gift gaff or Tesco.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 09:13:18 PM »
I brought my iPhone with me who I was on Verizon with. I just popped my old SIM card out after getting a new one from giffgaff and works fine.

I think originally I had a prepaid sim from tesco then went on a sim only plan from virgin media and now have switched to giffgaff.

It's wonderful in the U.K. You don't have to be on a contract and it's much cheaper I don't know how much data you use but I think I have one or two gigs plus 500 mins? Incoming calls don't count and unlimited text for ten pounds a month. I never go over my data or minutes.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:15:24 PM »
When I first came over, I was on an iPhone 3gs.  I thought it was "locked" to AT&T, but I decided to try a PAYG sim, anyway, and it worked.  So, at worst, you'll need to get it unlocked, but you might not even have to do that.  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 36
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 10:37:10 PM »
Hi,

Jimbo - thanks for the good words there !

MegMclain et al - Do check this website which provides an easy way to check various handsets based on their model numbers as to which carriers in other countries they can or can't work on;

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=89461.0

Now I've just typed 'Mclain' I can see Bruce Willis in his white vest runnin around !

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab