Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Computer.  (Read 25235 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: Computer.
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2017, 03:01:53 PM »
You could consider getting an iPhone 5c brand new in the box on eBay for something like £130.  Then get a sim only deal from Giff Gaff for £10 a month.  It won't be the fastest phone in the world but you can't beat it for value for money. 

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »
You could consider getting an iPhone 5c brand new in the box on eBay for something like £130.  Then get a sim only deal from Giff Gaff for £10 a month.  It won't be the fastest phone in the world but you can't beat it for value for money.

Hmm, that's an idea!  I'd been looking at the SE because that seems to be the cheapest at the moment. Presumably the 5 is on Ebay because they don't sell it in stores anymore?

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2017, 04:33:39 PM »
Hmm, that's an idea!  I'd been looking at the SE because that seems to be the cheapest at the moment. Presumably the 5 is on Ebay because they don't sell it in stores anymore?

I have an SE and while I like the size of it, I don't find it as stable as other models of iPhone. The screen seems to freeze and crash a lot, and it seems to take forever to turn it off and on again - I find myself having to hold down the power button several times before it will  turn on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2017, 04:58:26 PM »
Does the SE do IOS 11? If not I wouldn't get one. 

I'm not sure why the 5c is on Ebay as new.  It's cheap because it's going to be considerably slower than the SE.  way cheaper though. 

Do you have eye problems like me?  Reading glasses?  Then you will find the screen of the  SE absolutely tiny.  The bigger phones like a 6 have a special mode for people who can't see.  It's really nice not to have to dig out your reading glasses.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2017, 04:58:49 PM »
Here I sit.....a heathen.....I am thinking about getting rid of my smart phone and going to something like the new/old Nokia that just texts and calls. I just don't use the internet etc on my phone....I wait until I get home and get on the computer.

And.......I have a macbook pro.....bought it about 3 years ago. I am likely to go back to a Dell or something pretty soon. Just don't get on with Apple. It's stable. It does a lot of things right. But it just has some issues I don't get on with.
Fred

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »
Does the SE do IOS 11? If not I wouldn't get one. 

I currently have IOS 10 on mine, but 11 is available in my updates... just haven't got round to installing it yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »
Here's a decent place to buy refurbished iPhones
https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/apple?sort=price-asc

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2017, 05:06:01 PM »
Mr Mandolin, if you need a Nokia, let me know and I'll send you one.  We've got a drawer full of them.  No use other than threatening our kids that we will take their phones and make them use a Nokia if they don't set the table right now!

« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »
Computer would not start this morning but once I managed to get it going by switching it off, it said that there was no wifi hardware installed.  I switched it off and on again and that worked for a short time but now the same has happened again but the off/on thing is not working this time.

Support lines are closed! Can anyone help please?

« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2017, 01:34:35 PM »
Got through online (on husband's computer).  They are telling me it's a hardware issue and I will have to take it in. So no computer for a while.   :\\\'(

• Liked: 676
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2017, 06:02:31 PM »
Here I sit.....a heathen.....I am thinking about getting rid of my smart phone and going to something like the new/old Nokia that just texts and calls. I just don't use the internet etc on my phone....I wait until I get home and get on the computer.

Welcome to Club Luddite. I am using an old candybar phone. I have in my possession several old Nokias in mint condition - not sure if they will work on UK systems, but am going to have to try them soon. And a couple of old flip phones. The candybar does calls, texts, and sort of takes photos. The sim costs me 5 a month, and we rarely use it. But it's handy to have.... And so my total phone charges are 5 pounds a month.   ;D

« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2017, 07:55:16 PM »
Welcome to Club Luddite. I am using an old candybar phone. I have in my possession several old Nokias in mint condition - not sure if they will work on UK systems, but am going to have to try them soon. And a couple of old flip phones. The candybar does calls, texts, and sort of takes photos. The sim costs me 5 a month, and we rarely use it. But it's handy to have.... And so my total phone charges are 5 pounds a month.   ;D
I still just don't use it. Very occasionally I crank it up and try to do something with it and I have no idea how because I don't use it.......it has a nice camera though :)  O2 raised my phone bill to over £12 a month!! Damn.....probably going with an ASDA sim pretty soon. I can get a lot more (of stuff I don't use.....like calling/texting/internet) for under £10.

I'm still putting off buying a new desktop computer. Other than playing games......I only use it for internet and very little typing. Hard to justify close to £2K(without monitor) just to play games. But then again..... why not?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:57:55 PM by F4mandolin »
Fred

• Liked: 63
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2017, 06:18:18 PM »
I have been a Dell customer since the 90s, but went rogue and bought a Lenovo for DH for his birthday last June.

BIG MISTAKE! It's noisy, and while it has an i5 processor and the same RAM as my Dell, it's slow. Lenovo refuses to acknowledge that the fan and/or HDD (it's nos a SSD) is overly noisy. It's under a 2-year warranty...BUT...BIG BUT.....there are NO repair centers in the UK. You need to send the machine to Germany for evaluation, and if they say there's nothing wrong, YOU have to pay to get it back.

So, if you are thinking about a purchase, do NOT go for a Lenovo.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2017, 09:28:35 PM »
Yeah.....I have bought a lot of Dell's over the years. Always been pretty happy with them. This last laptop (bought almost 3 years ago) was a Macbook Pro which has worked well, but I plan on keeping it for using in the living room etc......the new desktop that I'm planning on buying I think I may go with Novatech that was mentioned by jimbocz. In country build.....but likely about £3-400 cheaper than Dell for the same thing.....and hopefully without the usual crap that gets put on computers these days.
Fred

• Liked: 676
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2017, 10:49:17 PM »
I still just don't use it. Very occasionally I crank it up and try to do something with it and I have no idea how because I don't use it.......it has a nice camera though :)  O2 raised my phone bill to over £12 a month!! Damn.....probably going with an ASDA sim pretty soon. I can get a lot more (of stuff I don't use.....like calling/texting/internet) for under £10.

I'm still putting off buying a new desktop computer. Other than playing games......I only use it for internet and very little typing. Hard to justify close to £2K(without monitor) just to play games. But then again..... why not?

Seriously, if you rarely use the phone, EE has a 5 pound a month plan that gets you 75 minutes of talk time, 250 texts, and some data (irrelevant on an old phone without internet). After 3 months you get a free "boost" of 25 minutes, or more texts, or more data. If you need more than that, they have a 10 pound plan.

Yeah, same on me replacing my dearly departed Dell desktop. Am seriously considering asking a friend back at my old employer to pop in to their surplus sales, where they liquidate old equipment, and get me a reasonably fast laptop that I can hook everything onto. Should be able to get it for around $100, then ship it, and still come out exponentially cheaper than buying here.  :)

Sponsored Links