Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Career Coaching?  (Read 698 times)

• Liked: 56
Career Coaching?
« on: August 05, 2017, 08:47:25 AM »
Hey folks,

So after taking two roles in this country more or less because of needing money/work (though they are more or less in line with my skills), I have diverged significantly from where I want to be into a backwater of a sector that doesn't hold much interest for me long term. This is causing quite a bit of internal turmoil that doesn't help much! I am also starting to wonder if what I am currently doing is really the best fit for my temperment and long term goals, or if a few other options under consideration would be better. I do love what I do.... when I am allowed to do it, but there is heavy competition in my field and too many jerkwads. Highly transferable skill set to anything else, but damn I need to start to specialize sooner or later!

At any rate, I was thinking a few sessions with a career coach could be helpful to clarify future path and moving forward, only I would prefer to work with one that has experience working with expats and/or people with an international outlook. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? Open to in London or online.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Career Coaching?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 10:18:26 AM »
Was just reading about Skills Development Scotland because as a STEM ambassador this has come up today in my emails. Basically, because the Scottish Exam results are in today, STEM of North Scotland was hoping to encourage kids who didn't get the exam results they wanted to know there was no wrong path and to try and who there are a myriad of opportunities. 

Anyways, there is I think a similar type of career service in England for the National Careers Service which may be a good place to start. 

Likewise, what kind of career are you looking to get into yourself?  If you have a vague idea, you could see if there is an institute that is related to what you want to do and they may be able to help.  I'm thinking of this because I'm a member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers and the Women's Engineering Society and they offer a lot of advice and support for careers.  The WES is especially awesome because they have a program called MentorSET which pairs you up with a Mentor.  So these may be some good places to start. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 9
Re: Career Coaching?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 01:49:34 AM »
I am working with a company that was hired by my husband's employer to help trailing spouses relocate to the UK. To clarify, this is a career counseling company that works with many international clients who are the "trailing" spouse in these relocations. I am in the very early stages of my job search. I do not have a job yet so I can't tell you if it is working, but I am hopeful. If you contact me off the board I'd be happy to share the contact info for the advisor.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab