Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Utilities questions  (Read 1647 times)

• Liked: 36
Utilities questions
« on: August 05, 2017, 06:15:07 PM »
We are moving into a house in Glasgow and were sent information from the letting agency to choose which utility providers we want to use. 

Can anyone give me an idea of which are the best/cheapest.  We also need high speed internet but I don't think the house has Virgin, what is the other best option?  Does it usually take a few weeks to set u[ an installation (my husband said he thought BT said that).  Also is it possible to pay by credit card or do you have to have your bank account already?  He also said they seem to be 18 month contracts, we may only live in this house a year.  My husband is getting very stressed about the idea of not having internet for 3 weeks, especially since I will be here in the states waiting for my visa.

Thanks!

• Liked: 718
Re: Utilities questions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 08:06:27 PM »
For utilities I use the website below to search for the best prices. This year my current provider was listed as 3rd cheapest but when I went directly to their website they quoted me a better rate than the best company on the uswitch list.

https://www.uswitch.com/

I think it depends on location on speed of connection of internet. When we moved from the USA last year our rental house was already wired for Virgin and it was connected within days of us arriving. We were actually staying with friends for the first few days while we bought beds and some basic furniture so a few days to connect was not a problem.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 163
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 07:39:36 AM »
We are moving into a house in Glasgow and were sent information from the letting agency to choose which utility providers we want to use.  Can anyone give me an idea of which are the best/cheapest.

None of the gas/electricity providers are any better than any of the other ones. The only factor that differentiates them is cost. Like durhamlad, we also use uswitch to see which provider has the best prices. moneysavingexpert is another good site for this.

We also need high speed internet but I don't think the house has Virgin, what is the other best option? 

uswitch also has information about what broadband is available in your area (based on what post code you'll be living in). It can tell you what speed is available, and which broadband providers are available.

Does it usually take a few weeks to set u[ an installation (my husband said he thought BT said that).  Also is it possible to pay by credit card or do you have to have your bank account already?  He also said they seem to be 18 month contracts, we may only live in this house a year. 

Yes, it usually takes a while to get connected, and I don't know of a way to make it go faster. I'm not sure whether you can pay with a credit card or not. On uswitch there were 1, 12, and 18 month contracts available.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 08:38:52 AM »
Hi.  I went with Sky broadband on a 12 month contract. There are also month-to-month options, but they do cost more. It was about a two weeks - they mailed the router with setup instructions, and I did the rest. You get something like 14 days to change your mind, if, after it's up and running, you are not happy with it.

It's not fiber-optic, but I think that BT re-wired my general area of town a couple of years ago for high speed as part of some sort of generic internet upgrade for Glasgow (???). The catch is, your speed is restricted by the slowest part of your physical connection.  So if, in fact, there's fiber out at the street, there's only copper wire coming into our building and we plug into the old BT slot. That said, we've had no problem with streaming movies, etc., and have no cap on usage - a lot of the packages out there do seem to cap your use.

We also have a free VOIP phone service thrown in, but pay for use at any time other than 7pm-7am. (Since we don't use the phone much, that's ok. It's more for people to phone in.)

We set up via credit card, but then moved to direct debit. We're paying about 20 pounds a month for the first year. I assume we'll renegotiate or switch to a different provider after the first year if the cost increases.

For gas/electric we're with SSE on their standard tarriff. There's one that would be slightly cheaper with them, but has a "leaving" fee per fuel if we want to switch at any point. We are free to leave on the standard. It seems a good deal.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:16:41 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 09:32:55 AM »
Just a general warning about Virgin which has the worst customer service I have ever experienced, bar none.
We have them for tv (it's a long story) and I grudge every single penny I have to give them.

I'm not the only one that thinks they suck!

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.virginmedia.com

• Liked: 676
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 10:14:41 AM »
Just a general warning about Virgin which has the worst customer service I have ever experienced, bar none. We have them for tv (it's a long story) and I grudge every single penny I have to give them.

Oh, yeah. When we were trying to get internet, I contacted Virgin because they had a really good offer advertised for unlimited fiber.  I was emphatic with the sales person that I could not have any alterations made to my flat/building whatsoever, so if they had not had service here previously in the past and could not just plug us in, we could not sign up. The guy checked, and, after a lengthy period on hold, I was told the flat had previously had Virgin fiber. Ok, so good. Signed up.

Two hours later while I was out shopping I get a cell call from their tech/installation people asking if I had the landlord's permission and which floor was I on, as they'd have to run cables.  I referred to my conversation with Sales, and the tech people said there has been no Virgin to my address previously. I cancelled and went with Sky.  We've been happy with Sky.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 10:30:38 AM »
I had Virgin for TV, phone & broadband for 8 years, and had no problems with them at all. :-\\\\

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 11:45:09 AM »
I had Virgin for TV, phone & broadband for 8 years, and had no problems with them at all. :-\\\\

You were lucky!  ;D

• Liked: 163
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 02:35:45 PM »
Just a general warning about Virgin which has the worst customer service I have ever experienced, bar none.
We have them for tv (it's a long story) and I grudge every single penny I have to give them.

We had Sky when I first moved over, and I felt the same way about them.

The only broadband provider I've found that was any good with customer service is PlusNet.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 09:58:28 PM »

We just gave up their internet after they kept lowering or speed and jumping the price... mid contract may I add. It's not like the contract ended and then they did this. So we complained (been customers for at least two years plus we had until recently mobile service through them) and they basically said they don't care so we went elsewhere.

I was shocked they didn't try to retain us.

• Liked: 1892
Utilities questions
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 11:13:29 AM »
Virgin is indeed satan living on earth in corporate form.  There was not one bit of my interaction with them that was not completely screwed up and utterly painful .  Just thinking of how they continued to charge me for months after I explicitly called them to cancel is triggering my PTSD.  I must have called them 25 times to sort it out. 

I use plus net now and it's fine, although it's supposed to be super fast fiber broad band and is actually nothing like it. Supposedly there is some fibre at one point so they can call it that.

As a temporary measure until you get something sorted, you can pay BT a monthly fee to access the wireless cloud.  Essentially, you pay £25 to suck some of your neighbor's wifi without their knowledge and BT collects the money.  Welcome to rip off Britain!

Nonetheless, you can pay by the month and sign up immediately.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:14:04 PM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 02:12:51 PM »
Another option might be one of those wireless dongles that makes a wifi hotspot after connecting to the mobile phone network.  Might be expensive and slow but better than nothing.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 02:19:43 PM »
Another option might be one of those wireless dongles that makes a wifi hotspot after connecting to the mobile phone network.  Might be expensive and slow but better than nothing.

I had a 4G dongle with EE a couple of years ago and it was actually really good - I was routinely getting speeds of up to 40 Mbps (compared with my free non-fibre Sky broadband which was only about 3 Mbps) and it was really useful to use out and about.

The only downside was the cost and data limit:
- £40 upfront for the dongle
- £20 per month for 15 GB of data (rolling 30-day contract)
... which just wasn't enough for streaming and downloading everything I wanted to.

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 07:17:26 PM »

I had a 3 payg dongle that I used for trips here before I moved back. It worked great!

Sponsored Links