Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spice shops?  (Read 674 times)

• Liked: 676
Spice shops?
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:00:41 AM »
Looking for one in Glasgow, or within a bus ride of....

Finding nothing in the supermarkets that isn't unimpressive. Having to use twice as much of things like cinnamon and black pepper to get the same level of flavor that half that much provided when we used our "hometown" spice store (where the herbs/spices were ground fresh). 

They probably are not a "thing" here, but there were a few shops we used to use, wall to ceiling jars of various spices that they'd either sell you whole or grind to order....  Am somewhat hesitant to just try going to the "ethnic" shops here looking, as that could be really hit-or-miss. Am hoping someone knows of a shop in Glasgow (or Edinburgh) - or anywhere in holiday-making range, really.

• Liked: 68
Re: Spice shops?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 09:08:38 AM »
I  know you said it could be hit or miss, but surely it's worth a look? There is a big Indian supermarket near me and they have LOADS of spices I can't find in Asda.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:13:40 AM »
We get big bags of spices from Chinatown and FIL buys spices in bulk at the Indian store. We usually start with a small jar from Sainsbury's and decant from the big bag so it's more manageable.

If there's a Whole Foods near you, they often have more spices.

I bake a lot and like to try different international recipes so I am often hunting for spices. Sometimes I have to go to a different shop (Sainsbury's, Tesco or Waitrose) or a different branch to find what I need. Between the usual shops, speciality shops (Chinese, Japanese or Scandinavian for what I cook) I can usually find what I need.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 585
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 11:21:12 AM »
Nan... get a bus up to Dobbies Loan, and there is a big Chinese supermarket up there.  I was only there last week, but can't remember the name of it, unfortunately.

Also, closer to home there is an Asian shop in either Park Street or Bank Street, right off Great Western Road... lots of cheap spices in there.  Once again, I cant remember the name but it's something like RKK or PKK.

And as someone mentioned Whole Foods, there's one in Giffnock... a 38 bus will get you down there from the city centre.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 11:55:17 AM »
I know you are looking for a shop like Penzeys or Savory Spice Shop. I haven't seen anything like that here.

If I were you, I would invest in a good grinder and mortar and pestle and start grinding your own.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 12:32:02 PM »
Nan... get a bus up to Dobbies Loan, and there is a big Chinese supermarket up there.  I was only there last week, but can't remember the name of it, unfortunately.

Also, closer to home there is an Asian shop in either Park Street or Bank Street, right off Great Western Road... lots of cheap spices in there.  Once again, I cant remember the name but it's something like RKK or PKK.

And as someone mentioned Whole Foods, there's one in Giffnock... a 38 bus will get you down there from the city centre.

Thanks - will give that (them) a shot!  In a pinch, SSS will ship https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/

[And I do have a mortar and pestal; however, I also have arthritis and need consistency in the size of the particles. So, it needs to come pre-ground. From good quality, very fresh stock. I've hit all the major supermarkets here, and am unimpressed. Hopefully one of the ethnics will work!]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:40:07 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 585
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »

Modifying my post now I've had time to think about it.

The Asian grocers is called KRK, and it's in Woodlands Road, but it's very close to Great Western Road.

The Chinese supermarket is called Chung Ying, but I believe there are a couple of other Chinese shops up that way.  Chung Ying's the one I always go to.

• Liked: 85
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 10:15:56 PM »
Spice Mountain isn't local to you, but they are online (with a bigger selection than in Borough Market) and post to UK mainland for a reasonable price.

Will vouch that their blends are nicely balanced and that the quality in general is outstanding (although a bit pricey).

https://spicemountain.co.uk/shop/

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 09:46:23 AM »
Modifying my post now I've had time to think about it.

The Asian grocers is called KRK, and it's in Woodlands Road, but it's very close to Great Western Road.

The Chinese supermarket is called Chung Ying, but I believe there are a couple of other Chinese shops up that way.  Chung Ying's the one I always go to.

Ah, ok, thanks! I know where Woodlands Road is -  walked up to there a couple of times when househunting.  Will also try Chung Ying. Looks like the bus goes right by there - and it'll be another adventure in finding the return bus stop! :)

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 09:47:33 AM »
Spice Mountain isn't local to you, but they are online (with a bigger selection than in Borough Market) and post to UK mainland for a reasonable price.

Will vouch that their blends are nicely balanced and that the quality in general is outstanding (although a bit pricey).

https://spicemountain.co.uk/shop/

Thanks!  The things I do for a good black pepper and a proper cinnamon....   ::)  But then, since I'm having to use twice as much of the cheaper stuff, perhaps it won't be that expensive after all.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 01:05:46 PM »
Thanks - will give that (them) a shot!  In a pinch, SSS will ship https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/

[And I do have a mortar and pestal; however, I also have arthritis and need consistency in the size of the particles. So, it needs to come pre-ground. From good quality, very fresh stock. I've hit all the major supermarkets here, and am unimpressed. Hopefully one of the ethnics will work!]

Thank you for the spice shop link! My DH's kitchen is severely lacking and I know I'll need to update it.

For arthritis - I have an electric coffee grinder just for spices because I also can't effectively use a mortar & pestle. I wish I could! I'll have to get myself a mini-food processor too for making garlic & ginger pastes etc. (I'm really going to miss my kitchen here!)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab