Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone done USA-France-UK ??  (Read 7070 times)

• Liked: 35
Re: Anyone done USA-France-UK ??
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 07:47:22 PM »
Do I have to have a French version of the EU Health Certificate, or will the English version be acceptable?

• Liked: 9
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 08:43:01 PM »
It's really depends on the customs officers.  If you haven't already I'd get the French one as I believe it has English on it as well. 

The first time I went through I just had an English one which was fine at Charles De Gaulle and Calais.

Like I said though - it all comes down to the officers.  Just make sure you have the newest version and your rabies certificate!

• Liked: 35
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 08:44:31 PM »
It's really depends on the customs officers.  If you haven't already I'd get the French one as I believe it has English on it as well. 

The first time I went through I just had an English one which was fine at Charles De Gaulle and Calais.

Like I said though - it all comes down to the officers.  Just make sure you have the newest version and your rabies certificate!

Thanks!

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 09:48:49 AM »
can someone who has flown into france with their dog as checked luggage please explain the experience upon arrival?

do you have to go through customs/boarder patrol or whatever they have before you are able to retrieve the dog?  how long would you estimate time from landing till you actually pick up the dog?

my pooch is my baby, and i'm really nervous about flying him over, but i can't move without him.  just want to know everything to expect so i'm a little less stressed.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 10:14:49 AM »
can someone who has flown into france with their dog as checked luggage please explain the experience upon arrival?

Having flown into another EU airport (AMS) with a checked dog, I assume the experience is very much the same.  Expect retrieval of your dog to be much like grabbing a checked bag - you go to the baggage collection area, a handler will wheel the carrier out, and you'll grab your dog, and present its paperwork and your passport to immigration, and if all is well you'll go on with your day. 

Bring extra items to clean your dog as there will most likely be urine and feces in there.  The most stressful part for me was the front end - going to the vet at the right time to get the right vaccines, taking that to a USDA office, and getting the stamps of approval.

• Liked: 52
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 08:05:09 PM »

do you have to go through customs/boarder patrol or whatever they have before you are able to retrieve the dog?  how long would you estimate time from landing till you actually pick up the dog?

my pooch is my baby, and i'm really nervous about flying him over, but i can't move without him.  just want to know everything to expect so i'm a little less stressed.

Meg-

How much does your dog weight? If the dog plus a carrier is around 17 pounds you can fly with the dog IN cabin on Air France.

My wife and dog and I just flew JFK in NYC to Charles de Gaulle in Paris last month and it was super easy.

NWKH
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

• Liked: 113
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »
While i absolutely have nothing against dogs (cats), I am horribly allergic to their dander. On a scale of 1-6 (6 being an anaphylactic shock), I register a 5. So unless your dog (cat) is hypoallergenic (poodles, some breeds of terriers, maltese, etc.) I wish people would be more considerate before taking their pets in the plane cabin, because some people can actually die or get horribly sick from being around them.
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 11:17:13 PM »
Meg-

How much does your dog weight? If the dog plus a carrier is around 17 pounds you can fly with the dog IN cabin on Air France.

My wife and dog and I just flew JFK in NYC to Charles de Gaulle in Paris last month and it was super easy.

NWKH

my dog weighs more than that without a carrier :P

he's a bigger guy (collie shep mix). planning on going with iceland air, as they offer flights direct from my town, with only one short stop in iceland, and a flat $175 fee for the dog.

he is easily scared by strangers tho, so i wanted to keep our time apart as little as possible.  i assume it's just passport check off the plane (not sure how long that takes) then strait to baggage claim before customs?

• Liked: 52
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 01:56:11 PM »
my dog weighs more than that without a carrier :P

he's a bigger guy (collie shep mix). planning on going with iceland air, as they offer flights direct from my town, with only one short stop in iceland, and a flat $175 fee for the dog.

he is easily scared by strangers tho, so i wanted to keep our time apart as little as possible.  i assume it's just passport check off the plane (not sure how long that takes) then strait to baggage claim before customs?

Meg-
Wish i could help... but i know that the airlines really try to make all the pets feel as safe and comfortable as they can.

Hope someone that has done the route and checked in a pet will chime in.
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 11:32:55 AM »
my main worry is that my finnick isn't dangerous, but he looks scary when he gets nervous, cause his bark face is pretty scary (he'd more likely poop himself than bite an adult if they got too close during his barking... kids he'll nip at if they get in his face). he'll be in a super locked box that he can't bite anyone through. i hope they understand he is just stressed, not dangerous. they've probably seen that before, right? 

-little backstory: finn was found as a stray, his mother ate all the other puppies, taken to a high kill shelter (treated badly), then 3 months in confinement during HW treatment.  took him a week to come around to me after i got him, and i'm amazing with dogs.  he's so smart, but still scared of strangers 6 years later. 

so 13 hours, a flight transfer, and waiting in a crowded baggage claim... that's got me really worried.  mainly that someone will think he's dangerous when he's just scared.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 01:24:34 PM »
my main worry is that my finnick isn't dangerous, but he looks scary when he gets nervous, cause his bark face is pretty scary (he'd more likely poop himself than bite an adult if they got too close during his barking... kids he'll nip at if they get in his face). he'll be in a super locked box that he can't bite anyone through. i hope they understand he is just stressed, not dangerous. they've probably seen that before, right? 

-little backstory: finn was found as a stray, his mother ate all the other puppies, taken to a high kill shelter (treated badly), then 3 months in confinement during HW treatment.  took him a week to come around to me after i got him, and i'm amazing with dogs.  he's so smart, but still scared of strangers 6 years later. 

so 13 hours, a flight transfer, and waiting in a crowded baggage claim... that's got me really worried.  mainly that someone will think he's dangerous when he's just scared.

There was a really cool program on TV here a couple of years ago about Heathrow Airport and they spent an episode following the Animal Reception Centre.  Granted, these were animals that were traveling as cargo versus baggage, so the process would be different.

But they had everything from a rare type of crocodile, to a tiger, to pedigree racing horses.  The handling and care was amazing.  The tiger was HANGRY and they showed the employees feeding it.  It was such a great program that really highlighted how wonderfully the animals are treated and the exceptional care they receive.  If they can handle a tiger, they can definitely handle your pup.  :)

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »
There was a really cool program on TV here a couple of years ago about Heathrow Airport and they spent an episode following the Animal Reception Centre.  Granted, these were animals that were traveling as cargo versus baggage, so the process would be different.

But they had everything from a rare type of crocodile, to a tiger, to pedigree racing horses.  The handling and care was amazing.  The tiger was HANGRY and they showed the employees feeding it.  It was such a great program that really highlighted how wonderfully the animals are treated and the exceptional care they receive.  If they can handle a tiger, they can definitely handle your pup.  :)

i saw that too!

not heading to uk airports tho. i'm going into france then doing chunnel or ferry (got a friend picking me up). saving over 1000 on dog's travel fees this way, since my pupper can be put in as checked luggage for $175 into france.

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 01:52:00 PM »
i saw that too!

not heading to uk airports tho. i'm going into france then doing chunnel or ferry (got a friend picking me up). saving over 1000 on dog's travel fees this way, since my pupper can be put in as checked luggage for $175 into france.

You are aware you'll still have the fees at the port for the pup to clear customs, correct?  I believe it's about £400.

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 02:10:17 PM »
You are aware you'll still have the fees at the port for the pup to clear customs, correct?  I believe it's about £400.

i don't see that listed anywhere, nor mentioned by anyone who has done this option. are you sure?  cause the 400 at the UK airports is specific to the animal holding building a cargo shipped animal is taken to and held till you are able to pick them up.  pets taken through customs at the ferry/tunnels aren't taken away to a special location, they are simply checked for correct paperwork.

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 02:22:27 PM »
Nope, not 100% sure.  But I thought the customs fees to bring the animal into the UK stood at any port of entry.  I don't see why there would be a customs fee at one place and not another.  But I've had bigger surprises than that from the UK government.

Sponsored Links