Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Good stuff in the mail  (Read 1934 times)

• Liked: 1892
Good stuff in the mail
« on: August 08, 2017, 07:40:03 PM »
My mailbag has been full lately, here's what I got:
--A new head unit for the car that is specially made to work with my IPhone and has a reverse camera since I love gadgets

--The best beer I've had in a long time, a really nice smokey porter from my beer hero

--A check from UKVI as a small consolation for rejecting me

• Liked: 6110
Re: Good stuff in the mail
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:42:20 PM »
My mailbag has been full lately, here's what I got:
--A new head unit for the car that is specially made to work with my IPhone and has a reverse camera since I love gadgets

--The best beer I've had in a long time, a really nice smokey porter from my beer hero

That's a party right there!  ;D

• Liked: 20
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 07:44:55 PM »
Am jelly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 07:50:49 PM »

I know it's for a frustrating reason, but after how much money we have all sent to UKBA/UKVI over the years, I feel like... well.. I'd have to frame that check.  It's annoying, but at the same time, kind of an accomplishment to get money from them!

edited to add:  ... even if it is some of your own money refunded.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:51:55 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 154
Good stuff in the mail
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 08:10:27 PM »
Hehe I recently had my first ever house mouse and freaked out.

My mom thinking it was hilarious.. shipped me a huge box of mouse traps, poison etc. other than a book for my daughter this box was filled with mice stuff .

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:20:25 PM by Eh127929 »

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 08:40:42 PM »
Hehe I recently had my first ever house mouse and freaked out.

My mom thinking it was hilarious.. shipped me a huge box of mouse traps, poison etc. other than a book for my daughter this box was filled with mice stuff .

Wow!  That's a lot of mouse stuff!

About a month after we moved in, when we still had crates (with some dry goods from the old kitchen) stored in the bedroom, I started hearing this soft little scratching sound occasionally in the evenings.  One night, I told my husband I thought we had a mouse, and he was annoyed (we have so much to do to make our house "done")... Eventually, the mouse was bold enough to come out while I was still awake.  I thought he was really cute, too.  I took pictures and video.  And I might've fed him a bit of digestive biscuit.

Turns out, that one cute little mouse really was the sign of a much bigger problem.  We have it under control now, without the use of traps or poisons.  But that's why we no longer even have the remnants of the falling-apart kitchen that was in place when we first moved in.  *shudder*  That was a bit of a gross discovery.

What I have learned:  Mice are cute.  Mouse houses are not cute.

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 09:07:17 PM »
Wow!  That's a lot of mouse stuff!

About a month after we moved in, when we still had crates (with some dry goods from the old kitchen) stored in the bedroom, I started hearing this soft little scratching sound occasionally in the evenings.  One night, I told my husband I thought we had a mouse, and he was annoyed (we have so much to do to make our house "done")... Eventually, the mouse was bold enough to come out while I was still awake.  I thought he was really cute, too.  I took pictures and video.  And I might've fed him a bit of digestive biscuit.

Turns out, that one cute little mouse really was the sign of a much bigger problem.  We have it under control now, without the use of traps or poisons.  But that's why we no longer even have the remnants of the falling-apart kitchen that was in place when we first moved in.  *shudder*  That was a bit of a gross discovery.

What I have learned:  Mice are cute.  Mouse houses are not cute.

I am such a chicken. My whole family made fun of me all last week for getting scared. So naturally my smart alec (spelling?) mom did this.

We're moving in a month, so last thing we wanted was multiplying mice. Normally, would have tried catch and release. But I think it ate poison and went behind our cabinets in the tiny space the little pipes run from the radiator. Now we're worried the kitchen will start stinking of dead mouse just in time for our move out inspection,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 09:36:04 PM »

I am such a chicken. My whole family made fun of me all last week for getting scared. So naturally my smart alec (spelling?) mom did this.

We're moving in a month, so last thing we wanted was multiplying mice. Normally, would have tried catch and release. But I think it ate poison and went behind our cabinets in the tiny space the little pipes run from the radiator. Now we're worried the kitchen will start stinking of dead mouse just in time for our move out inspection,

My husband made fun of me for thinking the mouse was cute and wanting to keep it, and especially for giving it bits of digestive biscuit.  He thinks I'm weird, already, but the amount of eyerolling I got from that was off the charts.  But I'd only ever had one other encounter with a mouse that wasn't a pet store mouse, and that encounter ended badly for the mouse, my mother's oven, and my overdeveloped sense of empathy.  So before this one, I didn't know how invasive mice can be once they take hold.*

*  The mouse situation in this house had been going on since well before the previous owners moved out, and we bought the house after it had been empty for a couple of years.  Their little dens had so many of the daughter's little baubles and so much chewed up paper and stuff.  This was a years-long thing, and not something we did.

I wouldn't worry about the poisoned mouse and your exit inspection.  My husband scoffs at the possibility of poison actually killing the mouse.  It'll just make them ill and turn their droppings funny colours, apparently.  They often survive it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:38:08 PM by jfkimberly »

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 05:09:06 AM »
My husband made fun of me for thinking the mouse was cute and wanting to keep it, and especially for giving it bits of digestive biscuit.  He thinks I'm weird, already, but the amount of eyerolling I got from that was off the charts.  But I'd only ever had one other encounter with a mouse that wasn't a pet store mouse, and that encounter ended badly for the mouse, my mother's oven, and my overdeveloped sense of empathy.  So before this one, I didn't know how invasive mice can be once they take hold.*

*  The mouse situation in this house had been going on since well before the previous owners moved out, and we bought the house after it had been empty for a couple of years.  Their little dens had so many of the daughter's little baubles and so much chewed up paper and stuff.  This was a years-long thing, and not something we did.

I wouldn't worry about the poisoned mouse and your exit inspection.  My husband scoffs at the possibility of poison actually killing the mouse.  It'll just make them ill and turn their droppings funny colours, apparently.  They often survive it.

I know I was reading that they can multiply so quickly before you even know it you have an infestation.

We're just curious how it managed to actually get in our flat because we're not ground floor. But the mystery will remain.

But at least you got a new kitchen out of it ;) silver lining ?

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 05:45:05 AM »
I know I was reading that they can multiply so quickly before you even know it you have an infestation.

We're just curious how it managed to actually get in our flat because we're not ground floor. But the mystery will remain.

But at least you got a new kitchen out of it ;) silver lining ?

*cough*  Um... we don't exactly have the new kitchen, yet.  The new kitchen was the plan when we first viewed the house.  The mouse infestation just accelerated the removal of the old kitchen.  We still don't have the funds for the new one.  UKVI is taking all of our disposable income at the moment.   ::)

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 08:17:29 AM »
*cough*  Um... we don't exactly have the new kitchen, yet.  The new kitchen was the plan when we first viewed the house.  The mouse infestation just accelerated the removal of the old kitchen.  We still don't have the funds for the new one.  UKVI is taking all of our disposable income at the moment.   ::)

Tell me about it.. I'm up for visa renewal next year, and I have a wedding I'm in next June back home so there goes all of our disposable income for the year. Who said being grown up was fun (:

Sorry jimbocz totally taken over your feed :P

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 09:23:08 AM »
This is kharma for every thread I ever hijacked!  I was so chuffed that 2 pages of people wanted to talk about my new car stereo. 

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 09:25:49 AM »
Although it does make me happy that another parent expresses their love by ridicule, as in sending a giant box of mousetraps all the way to England

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 10:24:22 AM »
I think I'm the worst about hijacking (or at least sidetracking) threads.  But if it's any consolation, I do the same thing in real life.  Occasionally, my husband will stop me in the middle of a conversation and quiz me "What were we talking about?  How did we get here?"  Sometimes, I'm able to trace iour conversation back to the source.  Sometimes.

Sorry, jimbocz!

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 11:01:10 AM »
Don't worry about it!  I'm more bummed when I start a thread and it's just crickets. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab