Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Good stuff in the mail  (Read 1939 times)

• Liked: 60
Re: Good stuff in the mail
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »
Thank you so much!!!!!   

Yeah, I feel quite honoured!  I love making beer, it's very fun and full of cooking and engineering and science as a hobby. And you get something nice out the other end!  :D

Now I'm dying to try this beer  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 07:49:24 PM »
Thank you so much!!!!!   

Yeah, I feel quite honoured!  I love making beer, it's very fun and full of cooking and engineering and science as a hobby. And you get something nice out the other end!  :D

How does it work out cost wise?  I suspect it's a bit more expensive than store bought.

Do you know if it's possible to homebrew gluten free beers?  I know my husband is perfectly satisfied with off the shelf ones, but he may need a hobby at some point.   ;D

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »
How does it work out cost wise?  I suspect it's a bit more expensive than store bought.

Do you know if it's possible to homebrew gluten free beers?  I know my husband is perfectly satisfied with off the shelf ones, but he may need a hobby at some point.   ;D

I know somebody that's done it. I don't know how easy it is compared to brewing with gluten, but it is possible :) (Phatbeetle will probably know more about difficulty of doing it haha).

I've always wanted to brew my own beer and have a friend that seems to be awesome at brewing his own beer! I'm totally envious! haha
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 958
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 06:01:41 AM »

It's entirely possible! Just a slightly different process, GF beers are usually made with things like sorghum syrup instead of malted grains. But I had a pretty amazing IPA made with rice a couple years ago made by a microbrewery near Boston, so I think mixing it up with different grains adds another layer and it's probably difficult to get the balance right.

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 04:02:26 PM »
Hehehe, I also got some nice things in the post, thanks Jimboz!   Nice American goodies, Pumpkin, Root Beer and a Butterfinger.  Life is good!

Cost wise? I can make a really nice pint that costs £0.70  - I'm an all grain brewer and I've reaped back my capital costs on equipment already.  Paying off capital, a pint cost was about £1.70. 

Its very very very very possible to brew gluten free beers and you find more and more recipes now, and as x0Kiss0fDeath posted , kits.  Kits are an awesome way to get into brewing because you don't need a lot of equipment and these days ,you get really decent results. If he is serious as a hobby, get a few books -I'd recommend Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes and Booze: River Cottage Handbook No.12 by John Wright and the Brooklyn Brew Shop's Beer Making Book for really small scale, minimal equipment non-kit recipes (and a few GF recipes in there) and read some homebrew forums and then just jump in!!! 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 04:12:44 PM »
Hehehe, I also got some nice things in the post, thanks Jimboz!   Nice American goodies, Pumpkin, Root Beer and a Butterfinger.  Life is good!

Cost wise? I can make a really nice pint that costs £0.70  - I'm an all grain brewer and I've reaped back my capital costs on equipment already.  Paying off capital, a pint cost was about £1.70. 

Its very very very very possible to brew gluten free beers and you find more and more recipes now, and as x0Kiss0fDeath posted , kits.  Kits are an awesome way to get into brewing because you don't need a lot of equipment and these days ,you get really decent results. If he is serious as a hobby, get a few books -I'd recommend Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes and Booze: River Cottage Handbook No.12 by John Wright and the Brooklyn Brew Shop's Beer Making Book for really small scale, minimal equipment non-kit recipes (and a few GF recipes in there) and read some homebrew forums and then just jump in!!!

Do you sell yours then PB as opposed to just being a hobby brewer? That's really cool!

I feel like we should have a brewing club haha I would kill to learn how to brew beer (but I am definitely more a hands-on learner than reading about it).
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 04:18:59 PM »
I feel like we should have a brewing club haha I would kill to learn how to brew beer (but I am definitely more a hands-on learner than reading about it).

This is (another  :P ) hobby my husband has expressed an interest in.  If a brewing club (or forum-based tutorial) occurred, I would definitely let him know about it.  I also have an interest, from a scientific perspective.  Thing is I don't like the taste of beer.  I love the aroma, but I feel like the flavor is a let-down.  Stouts are less disappointing.

*I feel the same way about all things brewed.  I don't like coffee unless it is strong, I am disappointed by beer, and I won't touch tea.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 04:19:33 PM »
Do you sell yours then PB as opposed to just being a hobby brewer? That's really cool!

Nah, I don't sell. You need a license for that. I just meant 'pay off' in pint of homebrew drunk versus pint bought terms. 

Brewing is perfect for hands on. More fun to just jump in!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 06:24:16 PM »

Why don't you get a home brew kit and just dive in?  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »

Thanks for the cost info, I'm a geek for that!

Home brewing isn't something we have time for at the moment (the front garden did take three months to do!).  But my husband keeps saying he needs to figure out what his hobby will be when life allows again.   ;D

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 09:42:52 PM »
This is (another  :P ) hobby my husband has expressed an interest in.  If a brewing club (or forum-based tutorial) occurred, I would definitely let him know about it.  I also have an interest, from a scientific perspective.  Thing is I don't like the taste of beer.  I love the aroma, but I feel like the flavor is a let-down.  Stouts are less disappointing.

*I feel the same way about all things brewed.  I don't like coffee unless it is strong, I am disappointed by beer, and I won't touch tea.

Sometimes, if you can pinpoint what you do and don't like accurately enough, you might be able to find the perfect type of beer for you!

Nah, I don't sell. You need a license for that. I just meant 'pay off' in pint of homebrew drunk versus pint bought terms. 

Brewing is perfect for hands on. More fun to just jump in!

Ahhh right fair enough, I thought you meant paying off your cost as in selling it to people. Makes sense that you need a license. My SIL's ex-husband (or soon to be ex-husband) apparently has started up his own brewery. He got some nice looking equipment and built a shed to brew in but I would be curious to know if he actually got a license for what he's doing or if he's just hoping he doesn't get caught for a while.

Why don't you get a home brew kit and just dive in?  ;D

I purchased one of those "brew your own cider" kits before and it wasn't all that exciting. It was literally just adding water and a packet into a jug and letting it sit for like a week (not even a long period of time or anything). It didn't even taste nice in the end! LOL

If I brew, I want to do it the proper way like my friend does it, but that does require a little bit of an investment. Someday I will totally convince my husband that we need to try brewing our own beer and setting up a space (we have an out-building at the moment that would be perfect - it has electricity and plumbing - but he uses it to store all the DIY junk in at the moment). I love seeing my friend's post on his instagram as he's always putting up the new kegs that he's ready to tap and it's pretty inspiring!

But my husband keeps saying he needs to figure out what his hobby will be when life allows again.   ;D

haha my husband says he just wants more time back again so he can play some video games. He's forever complaining that he's too busy with life/DIY around the house to be able to spend time gaming.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 09:48:44 PM »
Speaking of beer.... Husband and I brought SO much beer back from the US last month.... finally cracked the first one open on Saturday night. It was Anchor Brewing's Blood Orange Blonde. It was honestly incredibly delicious!! Perfect summer beer!

it gets wild in our house on the weekend...we breakout the strategy games and drink *a* beer :) somebody mentioned going to a club and I just would rather not...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 10:15:06 PM »
it gets wild in our house on the weekend...we breakout the strategy games and drink *a* beer :) somebody mentioned going to a club and I just would rather not...lol

hah!  After we've finished our "chores" (whatever we're doing in the workshop or garden that day/weekend) we come in and play backgammon with Spotify going in the background.  Aren't we mad?

Sometimes, when we're too done in to play backgammon, we do turn the music up to soul-satisfying levels.  So there is that.

We love not having near neighbors!  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 09:04:04 AM »
hah!  After we've finished our "chores" (whatever we're doing in the workshop or garden that day/weekend) we come in and play backgammon with Spotify going in the background.  Aren't we mad?

Sometimes, when we're too done in to play backgammon, we do turn the music up to soul-satisfying levels.  So there is that.

We love not having near neighbors!  :)

hahah we're in a semi so unfortunately we do have sommeeee limitations (although our neighbours told us they never hear us and we've definitely cranked things up sometimes so that's good to know! lol). Our next step will be to a detached hopefully because my husband is all about being able to make all the noise we want with no neighbours directly attached - probably because I'm always telling him to be careful of the TV volume after certain times because the people next to us are quite a bit older. I'm probably the youngest one in our friend group and I feel like I'm internally the oldest because I'm always trying to just get everybody to stay in and play games vs going out hahaha
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links