Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR timeline partner 5 years route  (Read 2504 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: ILR timeline partner 5 years route
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 06:16:50 PM »
I know someone who brought his bride in from an Asian country close to the same time I came over from the US.  He was unaware that her marriage visa was only good for six months and that after the wedding they had to apply for FLR(M).  He finally believed us, and while we were helping them with the first FLR(M) application, my husband kept trying to tell him that her visa will only be good for 30 months, so she'll have to apply again in 2.5 years.  And the whole time, the man kept saying, "No, we're on the 5 year route."  And my husband kept saying, "yes, it's 5 years until she is eligible for ILR.  But the visa she is getting now is only good for half that time... she'll have to apply for another visa halfway through."  The couple were due for FLR(M) #2 a few months ago.  We don't know if they applied.

Ugh.  Hopefully they looked at her BRP expiry date!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 06:23:28 PM »
Ugh.  Hopefully they looked at her BRP expiry date!

It is doubtful, to be honest.  I don't know for sure that she is now an overstayer, but I strongly suspect she is.  Do I have a duty to report her?  I don't, right?  I'm not a landlord, the NHS, or an employer, so it's none of my business, right?  Please tell me I can safely walk away from that mess!  :P
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 06:25:30 PM »
It is doubtful, to be honest.  I don't know for sure that she is now an overstayer, but I strongly suspect she is.  Do I have a duty to report her?  I don't, right?  I'm not a landlord, the NHS, or an employer, so it's none of my business, right?  Please tell me I can safely walk away from that mess!  :P

You are good!   :D

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 06:37:16 PM »
You are good!   :D

Excellent!  Now I can enjoy waiting to hear what happens.  If she does get deported and a 10-year ban, I will feel a bit guilty.  But at the same time, we tried.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 06:44:18 PM »
*shudder*  Credit cards, for us, are a tool of convenience.  We use them merely for quick transactions.  We never carry a balance.  I got so fed up paying ridiculous rates of interest to the banks for the privilege of spending my future money, but when I put money in the bank, I don't get any interest from them.  It's completely unfair, so I quit paying them.  *shakes fist*  Bastards!
When I first met my husband he was continually living on an overdraft. I promptly put a stop to that and got him to a point of fiscal responsibility.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 06:48:27 PM »
When I first met my husband he was continually living on an overdraft. I promptly put a stop to that and got him to a point of fiscal responsibility.

That is an amazing accomplishment!  My husband and I discussed financial practices from the very start (we talked about everything!), so I didn't have to try to change him.  But living in debt is something I've done (graduate school) and don't ever want to do again.  We do have a mortgage, but that's an acceptable debt.  At any time, we could sell our house (called 'House', and I could never sell him!  I loves House!) and be unencumbered again.  In fact, we might even have a bit of equity in our pockets.  At least the down payment back.  I hope.  :P

• Liked: 768
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 06:58:00 PM »
That is an amazing accomplishment!  My husband and I discussed financial practices from the very start (we talked about everything!), so I didn't have to try to change him.  But living in debt is something I've done (graduate school) and don't ever want to do again.  We do have a mortgage, but that's an acceptable debt.  At any time, we could sell our house (called 'House', and I could never sell him!  I loves House!) and be unencumbered again.  In fact, we might even have a bit of equity in our pockets.  At least the down payment back.  I hope. 
And he had been living like that for years!

I showed him that all of the time spent at work and he was just working to give money to the bank and it was never going to be his money until he paid the overdraft off. And then what would he do if the bank wanted their money back or he had an emergency?

That really drove things home for him. He was nearly 45 years old and had never really been responsible for his own money. (His ex wife paid the bills and she wasn't good with money either.)

Have you ever seen Dumb and Dumber? When Lloyd takes their last $25 and comes back with a box of beer and whirligigs? That was my husband. He had to spend every last penny. Now I just have to say "whirligigs" and he seriously reconsiders any purchase. (Do you really need to buy a new toothbrush at the corner store?)

It's been a learning experience for both of us but I'm really proud of how much he's grown over the last 2 years.

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 07:04:13 PM »

I showed him that all of the time spent at work and he was just working to give money to the bank and it was never going to be his money until he paid the overdraft off. And then what would he do if the bank wanted their money back or he had an emergency?

That really drove things home for him. He was nearly 45 years old and had never really been responsible for his own money. (His ex wife paid the bills and she wasn't good with money either.)

Have you ever seen Dumb and Dumber? When Lloyd takes their last $25 and comes back with a box of beer and whirligigs? That was my husband. He had to spend every last penny. Now I just have to say "whirligigs" and he seriously reconsiders any purchase. (Do you really need to buy a new toothbrush at the corner store?)

It's been a learning experience for both of us but I'm really proud of how much he's grown over the last 2 years.

I had to teach my husband that just because he didn't wear shoes in the house, didn't mean he didn't have to vacuum the stairs!  They were a different colour after I got to them.   ;D

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 07:08:48 PM »

Well done!  Financial literacy should be a compulsory class in school.  People need to know how to be responsible in this world where the banks are too willing to let us be irresponsible (and then charge us for our reckless behaviour!).

I had to teach my husband that just because he didn't wear shoes in the house, didn't mean he didn't have to vacuum the stairs!  They were a different colour after I got to them.   ;D

Hah!  I am not the best housekeeper (in fact, I'm incredibly lazy, and only do "surface tidying" to make things look passably neat), but I am paranoid about my food storage and prep space... so I cleaned all the cooked-on stains on the cooker in the old rental house.  He didn't know the stains could come off!

• Liked: 134
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 11:52:14 PM »
I am very glad that we have a credit card (needed to build the husband's credit) but we really only use it as it an aid and don't rely on it. It is really handy when we make a big purchase because we can spread the payment over two months, especially where flights are concerned. Plus, we have emergency money should the need arise. Same with our joint account, the overdraft is only there in case we need money pronto. We don't rely on it at all.

I used my credit card like a debit card with rewards in the US. Money was always there. The overdraft was a completely new concept to me and I don't have one over here. Husband had one for ages before his last big bonus, woohoo. Now the only debt we have is student loans, but that is pretty typical for people in their 20s.

Sometimes I just sit there and wonder how much more of the loans would have been paid if I did not have to pay for visa fees and international flights several times a year....
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 11:57:06 PM »
Sometimes I just sit there and wonder how much more of the loans would have been paid if I did not have to pay for visa fees and international flights several times a year....

I know my house would have a fresh coat of render on it, and we'd be building my kitchen right now if not for these fees (I have too many obligations to add in international flights, too!).  *sigh*

• Liked: 223
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 06:29:59 PM »
I know someone who brought his bride in from an Asian country close to the same time I came over from the US.  He was unaware that her marriage visa was only good for six months and that after the wedding they had to apply for FLR(M).  He finally believed us, and while we were helping them with the first FLR(M) application, my husband kept trying to tell him that her visa will only be good for 30 months, so she'll have to apply again in 2.5 years.  And the whole time, the man kept saying, "No, we're on the 5 year route."  And my husband kept saying, "yes, it's 5 years until she is eligible for ILR.  But the visa she is getting now is only good for half that time... she'll have to apply for another visa halfway through."  The couple were due for FLR(M) #2 a few months ago.  We don't know if they applied.

Strangely enough, I've had two friends from my hometown move to the UK as partners of EU citizens. It took a lot of convincing to get them to believe that I knew what I was talking about when it came to visas. IIRC, they both wanted to come on UKC rules rather than EU rules. I'm not sure why - EU rules were a lot cheaper and easier. Maybe too easy to seem right. I think I got them both on the right track eventually, but it was tough - I didn't want to just give up and let them be denied, but it's a lot of work explaining visa stuff to someone from scratch. ::) Especially when they don't believe you.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 2
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »
I'll be applying for ILR on the new 5 year rule at the end of OCT 2017. Scared to do by post but it's so expensive to do in person added to the already 2k pounds! I usually go to the US in the summers so ok to not have a passport for a few months. But just worried if some emergency happens with my family (my dads had a previous heart attack). Any provision to get my passport back during the process?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2017, 11:02:28 AM »
I'll be applying for ILR on the new 5 year rule at the end of OCT 2017. Scared to do by post but it's so expensive to do in person added to the already 2k pounds! I usually go to the US in the summers so ok to not have a passport for a few months. But just worried if some emergency happens with my family (my dads had a previous heart attack). Any provision to get my passport back during the process?

Requesting your passport back once you have applied for a UK visa automatically cancels the application. The processing time for postal ILR applications is  quoted as 6 months. In your situation, I would definitely do the in person appointment. Maybe your folks could lend you the extra money?

• Liked: 2
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 06:28:04 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately my husband refuses to pay the extra almost $1k for in person as 'we're already paying thru the nose'. Well we'll see how it goes. And we're also using the savings category for ILR so wish us luck in nov 2017!

Sponsored Links