Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Child Benefit Question  (Read 2575 times)

• Liked: 107
Child Benefit Question
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:14:44 PM »
Hi everyone! Long time no speak!

I've been too busy with the baby to even know where the time's gone!

Anyway, i've come to apply for child benefits and I know that my wife is categorically not allowed any of this. However, how do I absolutely make sure that she doesn't receive anything.

I've filled the child form in and it asks if I'm married which I've obviously replied yes. It then asks a bunch of questions about my wife. One question asks "is your partner entitled to child benefit now or are they waiting to hear if they can get child benefit?"

I've answered no but is that all i need to do to ensure the matter is sorted?
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 342
Re: Child Benefit Question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 11:54:23 AM »
Congratulations on ther arrival or your baby. I must have missed that post.

Anyway, i've come to apply for child benefits and I know that my wife is categorically not allowed any of this.

Correct.

However, how do I absolutely make sure that she doesn't receive anything.

You put the Child Benefit claim in your name only.

I've filled the child form in and it asks if I'm married which I've obviously replied yes. It then asks a bunch of questions about my wife. One question asks "is your partner entitled to child benefit now or are they waiting to hear if they can get child benefit?"

I've answered no but is that all i need to do to ensure the matter is sorted?

They asked that as they wanted to make sure that the two of you weren't trying to claim for the same child, or if you were, then that would be benefit fraud.

They would have asked about your wife's income too as Child Benefit is an income based benefit.
https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit/overview

When the award letter arrives, check the details they have on there about you and your wife and ensure that the claim is in your name only. It's the claimants responsibility to ensure that the details that benefits agency holds, is correct.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:10:23 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
And this for Child Beneifit. (it's 4 weeks for other benefits).

Tell the Child Benefit Office if you go abroad for more than 8 weeks.

Going abroad for a short time

You’ll still get Child Benefit if you leave the UK for a short period, eg on holiday or for medical treatment.

Reason for leaving    How long you can get Child Benefit payments for
Death of a member of your family    Up to 12 weeks
Medical treatment for you or your family    Up to 12 weeks
Any other reason, eg holidays or business    Up to 8 weeks

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-abroad

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:43:15 PM »
Thanks Sirius.

To be honest this is brand new to me (obviously) and I know nothing about child benefits.

We have a form that I'm filling out - does that mean it's just me that's claiming? If we were both claiming would that mean two forms (one each)?

Cheers!
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 09:43:27 PM »
Thanks Sirius.

To be honest this is brand new to me (obviously) and I know nothing about child benefits.

We have a form that I'm filling out - does that mean it's just me that's claiming? If we were both claiming would that mean two forms (one each)?

Cheers!

It's been a long time since I claimed Child Benefit, back in the days when we all got it but there were no benefits like Tax Credits as we needed to work more hours if we wanted more money and we paid all of our own childcare. :) And it's all changing again! :)

But it's alway been that only one parent claims Child Benefit and that hasn't changed. You choose which parent will claim, although in your case your wife must not claim as she is subject to immigration control and therefore it must be in your name only.

If a form each was used then both parents would be claiming for the same child and that is not allowed: that's why you were asked about that on your claim form.

The difference now with CB is that this has now been made an income based benefit. There is a earnings cut-off and a tapering for a parent that earns 50k plus, but they can reduce their earnings by paying more into their pension. That's why they will be asking what your wife earns, to see if you can have CB and how much you can have.

If your wife isn't working by the time she gets ILR, then put the CB in her name (but only when she has ILR) as that benefit gives a credit towards a state pension for a limited time (12 years?).  That's if there still is Child Benefit then.

It's this state pension credit from this benefit if they aren't paying NICs,  which is why a non-working partner of a higher earner, will still claim CB. Their high earning partner then pays the CB back via an SA with HMRC every year, but they keep the credit towards a pension.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:45:03 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 10:19:54 PM »
I don't know how much you earn Ben, but you can use these calculators to check if you might be able to get more help. Just remember that the results are based on both you and your wife being able to have benefits and your wife can't have all of these.
https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

i.e.
Tax Credits is a benefit and is nothing to do with taxes. This must be claimed in both names as it is benefit fraud to claim you are single when your are not. As a very rough guide, the cut-off for this benefit with one child, is a joint salary of about 26K, based on your previous tax year earnings.
Housing Benefit - you could claim for yourself and your child, but you must not take extra HB for your wife.
For these benefits, a two child limit has now been brought in following this recommendation from the MAC (Migration Advisory Committee).

Just to confuse things even more, the above benefits are 3 of the 6 income based benefits being replaced by a new, "one benefit" called Universal Credit. All income based benefit claimants of working age will end up on UC, if they qualify for it, and the 6 benefits UC replaces will end.

UC is much better for those that want to to work as the Tax Credit benefit worked against these people, but UC is not so good for those that don't want to work much.  We are still split into two camps on the boards, on what all these roll-out rules are on claiming in a full service UC area v claiming in an area that isn't quite a full service UC area yet  :)

If there is anything you think you might be able to claim and are not sure for your wife, come back and I'll see if I can help. It might be one I know the answer to. ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:25:54 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 10:13:58 AM »
Here is a bit more on Universal Credit.
https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 10:34:46 AM »
I never got back to you to say thanks for the thorough response Sirius. Appreciated a lot
Feb 2014 - Married
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 03:00:42 PM »
I never got back to you to say thanks for the thorough response Sirius. Appreciated a lot

You're welcome. Don't worry, I know you have been busy with your new arrival. ;D

Sponsored Links