Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: American stuff Brits love and hate  (Read 4370 times)

• Liked: 60
Re: American stuff Brits love and hate
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 05:42:53 PM »
He could not believe the gigantic flags over car dealerships! Ha.

My husband loves the giant flags too! He also - kid you not - SQUEALED the first time I drove him past a school bus. He is also fascinated by fire trucks and police cars, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. (Just that they're "different", I think.) It's like driving around with a 5 year old boy sometimes  ;D

• Liked: 49
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 06:02:41 PM »
Ha! It is funny the things we take for granted that is so different! He also laughed at all the billboards for layers and how bright FL was! It is bright for me too cause I love in upperstate NY.  He enjoys many of my funny observations over there too! Hard liquor in the Tesco! Can you see that at Wal-Mart or Target? Ha!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 06:17:07 PM »
Ha! It is funny the things we take for granted that is so different! He also laughed at all the billboards for layers and how bright FL was! It is bright for me too cause I love in upperstate NY.  He enjoys many of my funny observations over there too! Hard liquor in the Tesco! Can you see that at Wal-Mart or Target? Ha!!!

You can get hard liquor in Wal-Mart in Arizona. Haha. Just depends on state laws. I bought a handle of vodka at a gas station.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 06:27:46 PM »
My husband LOVES mini m&ms lol he buys bags and bags of them when we're there.

My fav candy is twizzlers and the girls at work the other day told me they tasted like plastic. -__- lol

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 08:10:47 PM »

My fav candy is twizzlers and the girls at work the other day told me they tasted like plastic. -__- lol

Okay, the girls at your work are not wrong.  I have a ridiculous obsession with Twizzler's Cherry Nibs or Bites or whatever they're calling them this week.  BUT I openly call them my "plastic candy".  I don't care.  I love them!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 08:12:20 PM »

I love the mini m&ms they're so good!

Strawberry twizzlers are my families preferred licorice. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 10:23:05 PM »
I'm a Red Vines girl, especially if they're soft.

I'd totally forgotten about Mini M&Ms. Now I want some to bake with!!!
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 958
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 05:58:04 AM »

I'm an upstate girl too. (western NY now, but the rest of my life lived various places around the northern side of the state)

My husband is the odd one it seems. I can't really think of anything particularly American he loves or stocks up on. He did enjoy the wings at least! There wasn't anything he hated either. But where I live is neither exciting or awful, just a standard first ring suburb.

Prior to him I'd dated another Englishman briefly and he basically brought a suitcase of american candy (m&m's etc) home with him!

• Liked: 49
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 01:39:32 PM »
Ohh I forgot! Ally Lovesss Dove chocolate and was thrilled we had dark chocolate versions of candy he likes. I am not a big candy fan but it was fun to see his excitement. He wants to visit Buffalo. Yet once I get my Visa
...fingers crossed...Ill have no ties here but would love to take him!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 03:33:33 PM »
Been living in the States together 11 years.

Husband still hates everything about peanut butter. The smell, the texture, everything. (I think this is a fairly common one.) I have to make the kids their PB sandwiches. He won't go near it.

He loves warm pumpkin pie with whipped cream. The first time I made it for him a decade ago -- instant favorite dessert ever. Cute.

I also remember how much he loved his first Philly cheese steak. 

He loves how we do Halloween here, Thanksgiving (which is Christmas dinner without the gifts), his "man cave" with pool table, the honesty in this particular area (can leave doors unlocked, garage open indefinitely), his big veggie garden, our fire pit, the spacious housing, and the wide selection of unique 12-pack mixes of beer in the average supermarket.

Mother-in-law loves her Heinz beanz and thought baked beans here were revolting. Father-in-law loved the select-a-size paper towels. (They most likely have those in the UK too, but he seemed impressed nevertheless. ;D)
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 03:59:23 PM »
Okay, the girls at your work are not wrong.  I have a ridiculous obsession with Twizzler's Cherry Nibs or Bites or whatever they're calling them this week.  BUT I openly call them my "plastic candy".  I don't care.  I love them!

Those are my favourite lol I want some now!! Im Guilty of paying a pound for a tiny package at B&M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 04:00:18 PM »
Been living in the States together 11 years.

Husband still hates everything about peanut butter. The smell, the texture, everything. (I think this is a fairly common one.) I have to make the kids their PB sandwiches. He won't go near it.

He loves warm pumpkin pie with whipped cream. The first time I made it for him a decade ago -- instant favorite dessert ever. Cute.

I also remember how much he loved his first Philly cheese steak. 

He loves how we do Halloween here, Thanksgiving (which is Christmas dinner without the gifts), his "man cave" with pool table, the honesty in this particular area (can leave doors unlocked, garage open indefinitely), his big veggie garden, our fire pit, the spacious housing, and the wide selection of unique 12-pack mixes of beer in the average supermarket.

Mother-in-law loves her Heinz beanz and thought baked beans here were revolting. Father-in-law loved the select-a-size paper towels. (They most likely have those in the UK too, but he seemed impressed nevertheless. ;D)

Funny you mention paper towels..my dad seems to think they are smaller here in the U.K.

• Liked: 958
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »
Ohh I forgot! Ally Lovesss Dove chocolate and was thrilled we had dark chocolate versions of candy he likes. I am not a big candy fan but it was fun to see his excitement. He wants to visit Buffalo. Yet once I get my Visa
...fingers crossed...Ill have no ties here but would love to take him!

The best part of Buffalo is it's proximity to Niagara Falls & Toronto imo. And the Frank Lloyd Wright architecture. But I may go to wingfest in September one last time. ;)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2017, 07:39:33 PM »
Funny you mention paper towels..my dad seems to think they are smaller here in the U.K.

They are quite a bit smaller!  I'll take a picture later of UK paper towels on my US holder. 

And no select a size here.  I miss those!

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 07:56:29 AM »

We buy the Blitz brand. I think it's Blitz... They're HUGE. Bigger than the US ones for sure. We always got the 'select a size' ones back in the US, so I was super surprised by these. They are the heavy duty ones though. We have a rescue dog who isn't fully house trained so we need good paper towels.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab