Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: American stuff Brits love and hate  (Read 4374 times)

• Liked: 770
Re: American stuff Brits love and hate
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2017, 08:55:38 AM »
We buy the Blitz brand. I think it's Blitz... They're HUGE. Bigger than the US ones for sure. We always got the 'select a size' ones back in the US, so I was super surprised by these. They are the heavy duty ones though. We have a rescue dog who isn't fully house trained so we need good paper towels.
I have those and they are gigantic! I buy them at Semichem,  3 pack for  £2.99.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 111
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »
You can get hard liquor in Wal-Mart in Arizona. Haha. Just depends on state laws. I bought a handle of vodka at a gas station.

In Texas, you cannot buy hard liquor anywhere but in liquor stores and they are all closed on Sunday too. It's Sunday today and all the talk on here about slow cooker/IP meats made me think about making a roast that requires red wine. I'll have to wait until 12 noon since I can't buy alcohol in Texas on a Sunday at the grocery store until then. It's 9am now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 04:00:04 PM »
In Texas, you cannot buy hard liquor anywhere but in liquor stores and they are all closed on Sunday too. It's Sunday today and all the talk on here about slow cooker/IP meats made me think about making a roast that requires red wine. I'll have to wait until 12 noon since I can't buy alcohol in Texas on a Sunday at the grocery store until then. It's 9am now

You can't get anything but 3.2 beer at a grocery store in Colorado and have to go to a liquor store for anything stronger.

Gotta love all the weird rules.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 770
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 04:15:22 PM »
You can't get anything but 3.2 beer at a grocery store in Colorado and have to go to a liquor store for anything stronger.

But now you can grow your own smoke so that does make up for the liquor laws.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »
But now you can grow your own smoke so that does make up for the liquor laws.

Only if you smoke... I never have. I still haven't tried weed. Haha
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 253
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 12:20:30 AM »
When I came back to the UK, I brought my husband a pack of lemon Oreos because he loves them so much. Sadly, the UK hasn't caught the crazy, multiple flavours of Oreos trend.

Really, the only American thing he hates is the abundance of cheese sauce covered things in my central Illinois city. For some reason, he really doesn't like an abundance of cheese put on everything.  ::)
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 01:56:36 AM »
We've been stateside for 13 years so my husband has had a long time to figure out what he likes and dislikes, in food anyways...

Corn dogs
BBQ sauce
Breakfast Tacos and generally tacos all day, every day
Beans of different varieties but particularly pintos because he loves "borracho" and "charro" beans because he only grew up on Heinz baked beans
Snow cones
Variety of ice cream flavors
Pumpkin pie
Key Lime pie
Beef jerky
Biscuits and white gravy
Mexican chorizo
Puffed Cheetos

Dislikes:

Grits
Velveeta cheese
Sweet and savory foods on the same plate as in "chicken and waffles with powdered sugar and maple syrup"
Marshmallows on sweet potatoes
Kraft Mac and Cheese
He'll eat Peanut Butter but not Reese's Peanut Butter Cups or Pieces
Cinnamon flavored or scented anything and apparently it's in a lot of things during the Christmas season in the US
The sweet taste of bread
American-style pancakes
Fritos

• Liked: 154
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 09:12:14 AM »

My aunts from right outside Dallas and I remember people finding it hard to buy booze after a certain time of night when we were there once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 11:22:11 AM »
Can someone explain to me what pick your own size means for paper towels?  And I see tons of jelly babies and flavoured Oreos in the shops here.

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 11:25:32 AM »

I remember that there used to be a rule either in NC or SC that said the bartender could not mix drinks for you.  We used to order pitchers of Long Island Iced Tea and they would give us a pitcher and about 20 little airport bottles of liquor.

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 11:42:49 AM »
My aunts from right outside Dallas and I remember people finding it hard to buy booze after a certain time of night when we were there once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, that's true. I believe that you can buy alcohol M-F from 7am-11:59pm; Saturday from 7am-1am (Sunday) and from 12pm-11:59pm. Liquor stores are closed all day on Sunday.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »
Can someone explain to me what pick your own size means for paper towels?  And I see tons of jelly babies and flavoured Oreos in the shops here.

I believe the pick-your-own-size paper towels just has more frequent perforation strips, so you can tear off a smaller piece if you just need a little bit, or take two or three to add up to one regular sized towel.

Dislikes:
Sweet and savory foods on the same plate as in "chicken and waffles with powdered sugar and maple syrup"

My husband hasn't even tried it, but the concept offends him!  I've never had chicken and waffles (together, I mean), but I do like sweet+savoury together sometimes, so I get it.  My husband has never and he remains unconvinced.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 253
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 02:27:41 PM »

Yeah, we have a bunch over here, but there isn't nearly as much. During the six months that I was back in the US, they came out with three new flavours and reissued some of their more popular summer flavours. My local Wal-Mart had at least ten-thirteen flavours which is mind boggling to my husband.

At my local Tesco, we have four (regular, golden, PB, and chocolate). I keep waiting for them to pick up the lemon ones so I can get the husband a treat.
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
My hubby loves rice pilaf (Near East or Zatrain's) and rice-a-roni and he likes Fritos. 

He thinks sweet and salty anything is bogging. 

We've not been to the USA together in years and the last time he went, he was still able to eat dairy. So he liked a good Dairy Queen Blizzard and Greek Pizza.  But alas, these things will not work now. 

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 154
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 11:25:12 AM »
Yeah, we have a bunch over here, but there isn't nearly as much. During the six months that I was back in the US, they came out with three new flavours and reissued some of their more popular summer flavours. My local Wal-Mart had at least ten-thirteen flavours which is mind boggling to my husband.

At my local Tesco, we have four (regular, golden, PB, and chocolate). I keep waiting for them to pick up the lemon ones so I can get the husband a treat.

Lemon Oreos

The PB ones in my Tesco are so expensive I can't bring myself to buy them.

Sponsored Links