Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: American stuff Brits love and hate  (Read 4360 times)

• Liked: 3595
Re: American stuff Brits love and hate
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2017, 09:13:06 PM »
My favourite grocery store chocolate is Dove dark chocolate.  No Hershey "tang", but also not overly creamy like over here.  It's a nice balance.

I like Dove too :). It's supposed to be the same as Galaxy chocolate (same company, same logo, just a different name), but I find Galaxy too sweet and creamy.

I do love me some Dairy Milk though :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 21
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2017, 09:23:24 PM »
My husband likes peanut butter, but doesn't like the combo of peanut butter and chocolate. More Reese's for me then.

He also doesn't like Twizzlers or anything cinnamon-flavored. He's doesn't even like cinnamon in baking, such as in apple pie.

He can be particular about his brands, and he will really only eat Cadbury chocolate. There's an excellent local candy and chocolate shop in my hometown. Blows Hershey's out of the water. They've been in business for years and they make everything right there in the shop. But nope, hubs doesn't like their chocolate and sticks only with Cadbury  ::) I like Cadbury too, but I don't stick with just one brand of chocolate !
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 768
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2017, 12:37:26 PM »
My husband likes peanut butter, but doesn't like the combo of peanut butter and chocolate. More Reese's for me then.

He also doesn't like Twizzlers or anything cinnamon-flavored. He's doesn't even like cinnamon in baking, such as in apple pie.

He can be particular about his brands, and he will really only eat Cadbury chocolate. There's an excellent local candy and chocolate shop in my hometown. Blows Hershey's out of the water. They've been in business for years and they make everything right there in the shop. But nope, hubs doesn't like their chocolate and sticks only with Cadbury  ::) I like Cadbury too, but I don't stick with just one brand of chocolate !
My husband hates cinnamon too.

I brought over some cinnamon Altoids and offered him a mint. (Before I knew about his aversion to cinnamon) He thought I was trying to poison him. Lmfao

He made me move away from him when I was eating my Altoids because the smell of them made him gag.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:41:27 PM by nctami72 »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2017, 02:37:05 PM »
Okay, stereotyping/painting all with the same brush:

Do you find Brits to be more into brand names than Americans?  And feel that if something costs more it must be a better product?

• Liked: 210
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2017, 04:34:09 PM »
My wife says she didn't like the weather. We're the couple where the American moved to England and was glad for the change in climate. It's so mild here! :D Rain and all, it's nice.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 21
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2017, 05:23:40 PM »

Do you find Brits to be more into brand names than Americans?  And feel that if something costs more it must be a better product?

Um, totally the case with my husband. He has several "staples," and they must be the same (name) brand. Only Heinz ketchup, only Schweppes lemonade, only PG Tips tea... you get the picture. I've noticed that his Dad is the same way. Conversely, I have no issue buying generic to save a little money. Sometimes I think generic is just as good as name brand. I tried the Aldi peanut butter once and thought it was better than the Sun Pat brand we usually got at Tesco.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 537
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2017, 06:17:45 PM »
Um, totally the case with my husband. He has several "staples," and they must be the same (name) brand. Only Heinz ketchup, only Schweppes lemonade, only PG Tips tea... you get the picture. I've noticed that his Dad is the same way. Conversely, I have no issue buying generic to save a little money. Sometimes I think generic is just as good as name brand. I tried the Aldi peanut butter once and thought it was better than the Sun Pat brand we usually got at Tesco.

I only like Heinz ketchup, other brands are too sweet. I like the vinegary tang.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2017, 06:28:39 PM »
My (UKC) husband is generally more open to whatever-brand-is-cheapest.  But I have convinced him that there's only one good tinned refried beans available here and he's willing to go to a special shop just to get them for us.  And we're both still in search of good torillas (we're gathering materials to make our own because that's proving to be the more economical and nice option).  I will only eat Jif peanut butter, and my husband didn't really care for peanut butter before, but now he eats it by the spoonful.  I don't know if he would eat other brands the same way because I won't!  :P

Edited to add:  I agree with Lyonaria about ketchup.  It must be Heinz.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2017, 07:38:22 PM »
Hm, I wonder if that's a big-city thing? The Brits I know (admittedly, not many yet) don't seem that into brand names.

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2017, 08:26:21 PM »
Hm, I wonder if that's a big-city thing? The Brits I know (admittedly, not many yet) don't seem that into brand names.

Husband has a few brands he likes, but he's from here, our small town. Milk, tea, and bread preference. I am by far more picky. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2017, 08:28:52 PM »

Edited to add:  I agree with Lyonaria about ketchup.  It must be Heinz.

Yay! It's not just me. Haha.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2017, 09:16:56 AM »
I definitely need Heinz ketchup.

I was thinking brand names on bigger ticket items.  Luggage, clothes, electronics, furniture, tools, etc.

A bit curious if it was just the way my husband was raised.  His dad genuinely believes if you spend more, it's the better item (versus buying a name).

« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2017, 10:27:19 AM »

I was thinking brand names on bigger ticket items.  Luggage, clothes, electronics, furniture, tools, etc.

A bit curious if it was just the way my husband was raised.  His dad genuinely believes if you spend more, it's the better item (versus buying a name).

Depends, I think. Brand name batteries do last longer, in my experience. And I will pay extra for a brand name computer rather than something I've never heard of. When I could get mac and cheese, only Kraft would do....but that's because the knock off versions were awful. I like store name (Tesco, etc.) for a lot of other things. Here, though, Tesco buttons are awful. Cadbury buttons are better.

And when/if we do get a stand mixer, it will be a Kitchen Aid. Nothing else will do!!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2017, 12:54:05 PM »

Ahhh, no.  My husband researches for days/weeks.  He looks at customer reviews, including the number of reviews that make up the aggregate score; price; he reads articles about what features are best to have and what are just gimmicky marketing; he reads professional tech reviews; he looks at build quality... the last thing he cares about is brand name.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 154
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2017, 01:59:20 PM »
Okay, stereotyping/painting all with the same brush:

Yes!!

I had to break my husband into store brands. Save a fortune now!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab