Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spousal Application from US: Priority Processing Question  (Read 870 times)

• Liked: 8
Spousal Application from US: Priority Processing Question
« on: August 11, 2017, 03:32:58 PM »
As mentioned in a previous post, I am applying for a spousal visa from the U.S. (I am the U.S. citizen). I just about have all the evidence compiled. We were awaiting my husband's renewed British passport that is arriving today.

I would like to use the priority service, however I have been reading some conflicting information (some of the info on older threads has changed), so I am hoping that someone would be able to confirm a couple of things.

1. After submitting my application online, will I automatically be taken to the priority processing website?

2. Must I pay for the NHS fee prior to submitting my online application.

3. Do I send all the documents/evidence/appendix and copy of app to Sheffield or the U.S. Consulate? (I read somewhere that at one time it was the U.S. Consulate in NYC, but I believe that has changed since?) I am applying from the U.S.

4. Also wondering how long I have to enter the U.K. if I am fortunate enough to have my application approved that is!

Thank you kindly. Deeply grateful for any further guidance.

:)

P.S. Once I submit the application I will add my timeline to the permanent post.

• Liked: 6110
Re: Spousal Application from US: Priority Processing Question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 03:46:55 PM »
As mentioned in a previous post, I am applying for a spousal visa from the U.S. (I am the U.S. citizen). I just about have all the evidence compiled. We were awaiting my husband's renewed British passport that is arriving today.

I would like to use the priority service, however I have been reading some conflicting information (some of the info on older threads has changed), so I am hoping that someone would be able to confirm a couple of things.

1. After submitting my application online, will I automatically be taken to the priority processing website?

2. Must I pay for the NHS fee prior to submitting my online application.

3. Do I send all the documents/evidence/appendix and copy of app to Sheffield or the U.S. Consulate? (I read somewhere that at one time it was the U.S. Consulate in NYC, but I believe that has changed since?) I am applying from the U.S.

4. Also wondering how long I have to enter the U.K. if I am fortunate enough to have my application approved that is!

Thank you kindly. Deeply grateful for any further guidance.

:)

P.S. Once I submit the application I will add my timeline to the permanent post.

1-No, you will be directed to pay the IHS and to make your biometrics appointment but the priority processing and postage are paid here. https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/usa/user_pay_services.html

2-It is part of the process.

3-Sheffield.  Settlement applications

International Operations and Visas
6 Millsands
Vulcan House
Sheffield
S3 8NH
United Kingdom
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/usa-apply-for-a-uk-visa/apply-for-a-uk-visa-in-the-usa

4-You have to enter within the validity period of the vignette which is 30 days.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 05:24:07 PM »
Thank you, larrabee! I read in an older thread that the instructions to mail the documents to Sheffield are incorrect/outdated, so I was confused. Thank you very much for clarifying that for me. 

I'm in a bit of a panic because I've been reading that some people upgrade to priority after the fact, so I'm worried that I am going to mess this up somehow. I hope it's clear during the online process that I will have the option of priority processing.

Wow, so I have to enter the UK within 30 days of spousal visa approval. I'm not sure I should submit my application early next week because I am not flying out till October 14th. What to do, what to do.  ???  :-\\\\

Also, I've read that some people include passport photos with their application. Is this necessary if I am going to the biometrics and having a photo taken there?

Thank you again! :)

1-No, you will be directed to pay the IHS and to make your biometrics appointment but the priority processing and postage are paid here. https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/usa/user_pay_services.html

2-It is part of the process.

3-Sheffield.  Settlement applications

International Operations and Visas
6 Millsands
Vulcan House
Sheffield
S3 8NH
United Kingdom
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/usa-apply-for-a-uk-visa/apply-for-a-uk-visa-in-the-usa

4-You have to enter within the validity period of the vignette which is 30 days.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:32:41 PM »
Thank you, larrabee! I read in an older thread that the instructions to mail the documents to Sheffield are incorrect/outdated, so I was confused. Thank you very much for clarifying that for me. 

I'm in a bit of a panic because I've been reading that some people upgrade to priority after the fact, so I'm worried that I am going to mess this up somehow. I hope it's clear during the online process that I will have the option of priority processing.

Wow, so I have to enter the UK within 30 days of spousal visa approval. I'm not sure I should submit my application early next week because I am not flying out till October 14th. What to do, what to do.  ???  :-\\\\

Also, I've read that some people include passport photos with their application. Is this necessary if I am going to the biometrics and having a photo taken there?

On the app you put in your intended date of travel, and they've been pretty good about honoring that. Priority applications are taking 20+ business days (excludes holiday and weekends), sometimes much longer up to 60 BD, so submitting sooner than later if you want to travel in October would be good. Just remember all financial evidence needs to be dated within 28 days of your online application date (when you actually hit "submit" on the website)

If you want to list the evidence you're including and how you plan to meet the financial requirements the folks here are great at ensuring you're not missing anything :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 05:33:29 PM »

You're welcome! You will have to visit the vfs global site yourself to buy the
priority service and the shipping. You need your application number to be able to do that but you won't be directed there.
You'll get the application number just by starting the online application but *warning, do not submit and pay until you have everything ready to go.

You are not supposed to upgrade after the fact. Definitely do it at the same time if you want to use priority.

You can put October 14th as your intended date of travel and hopefully your vignette will be made valid from that date. There is no guarantee that it will be processed by then though so definitely do not buy your flight until you have the visa in hand.

Passport photos are still on the list of requirements so you should send them, yes.

Would you like to share the list of documents that you intend to include so that we can check it over for you?

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 05:34:35 PM »

Definitely not outdated. Settlement visa applications have been processed in Sheffield since March 2013.

If you mail your application to New York, it will just be mailed back to you with a message telling you to send it to Sheffield instead.

See here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/usa-apply-for-a-uk-visa/apply-for-a-uk-visa-in-the-usa

Upgrading to priority officially has not been allowed for several months now. A few people have attempted it anyway, with mixed results.

You don't purchase priority processing through the online application process. You have to do it yourself separately on the VFS Global website.

There is the option to purchase Settlement Priority Processing for $749, and also either round-trip shipping of your package for $227 or just the return shipping for $141. If you will purchase both the priority service and the shipping labels, do it in one go, in the same transaction, as some people have had problems with making two separate purchases.

See here for priority processing and shipping labels: http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/usa/user_pay_services.html

The application will ask for an intended travel date, which is the date your visa will start (and will be valid for 30 days). You can put any date up to 3 months ahead of the date you submit your online application. So, if you apply on August 14th, you can put any date up to November 14th. If the travel date passes before the visa is issued, it will just be made valid for 30 days from the date they issue the visa.

At the moment, priority processing is taking about 6 weeks or so, with non-priority around 3 months. So, it could potentially be the case that your visa is not processed in time for you to fly on October 14th.

A passport photo is still listed on the required documents list, so I would include one anyway, just to be on the safe side.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 06:00:03 PM »
Oh, that's good to know! Thank you, Margo.  :)
I just went into my saved incomplete application online and put in the 14th October travel date, and was careful to not click on that purple "confirmation" button. (Thanks to larrabee for those reminders.)  :)

That would be great if I could have my financial documents reviewed... I will post that in another message. Not sure if I should start a new thread for that, perhaps that would be easier for others if they are looking for examples? Thanks again!

On the app you put in your intended date of travel, and they've been pretty good about honoring that. Priority applications are taking 20+ business days (excludes holiday and weekends), sometimes much longer up to 60 BD, so submitting sooner than later if you want to travel in October would be good. Just remember all financial evidence needs to be dated within 28 days of your online application date (when you actually hit "submit" on the website)

If you want to list the evidence you're including and how you plan to meet the financial requirements the folks here are great at ensuring you're not missing anything :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 06:02:13 PM »
This thread is fine for your list.  :)

Let us know everything you are planning to include please, not just the financial documents.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:04:13 PM by larrabee »

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 01:47:31 AM »
Thank you for the info, larrabee! I can't believe how much anxiety this application is inducing. It looks like it's possible to purchase the return shipping at the same time? That would make things much easier.

Thanks again for the reminders not to submit the application until it's complete. :) I hope to be ready with all documents early this coming week. Just waiting on a rental agreement for our housing.

You're welcome! You will have to visit the vfs global site yourself to buy the
priority service and the shipping. You need your application number to be able to do that but you won't be directed there.
You'll get the application number just by starting the online application but *warning, do not submit and pay until you have everything ready to go.

You are not supposed to upgrade after the fact. Definitely do it at the same time if you want to use priority.

You can put October 14th as your intended date of travel and hopefully your vignette will be made valid from that date. There is no guarantee that it will be processed by then though so definitely do not buy your flight until you have the visa in hand.

Passport photos are still on the list of requirements so you should send them, yes.

Would you like to share the list of documents that you intend to include so that we can check it over for you?

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 01:54:05 AM »
Thank you for clarifying all that, ksand24. So pleased that it's possible to purchase the round trip shipping. For some reason that was causing me tremendous stress. You are all so kind and generous to offer your knowledge and assistance to. It is much appreciated.

Definitely not outdated. Settlement visa applications have been processed in Sheffield since March 2013.

If you mail your application to New York, it will just be mailed back to you with a message telling you to send it to Sheffield instead.

See here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/usa-apply-for-a-uk-visa/apply-for-a-uk-visa-in-the-usa

Upgrading to priority officially has not been allowed for several months now. A few people have attempted it anyway, with mixed results.

You don't purchase priority processing through the online application process. You have to do it yourself separately on the VFS Global website.

There is the option to purchase Settlement Priority Processing for $749, and also either round-trip shipping of your package for $227 or just the return shipping for $141. If you will purchase both the priority service and the shipping labels, do it in one go, in the same transaction, as some people have had problems with making two separate purchases.

See here for priority processing and shipping labels: http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/usa/user_pay_services.html

The application will ask for an intended travel date, which is the date your visa will start (and will be valid for 30 days). You can put any date up to 3 months ahead of the date you submit your online application. So, if you apply on August 14th, you can put any date up to November 14th. If the travel date passes before the visa is issued, it will just be made valid for 30 days from the date they issue the visa.

At the moment, priority processing is taking about 6 weeks or so, with non-priority around 3 months. So, it could potentially be the case that your visa is not processed in time for you to fly on October 14th.

A passport photo is still listed on the required documents list, so I would include one anyway, just to be on the safe side.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 02:29:55 AM »
Here's what I'm sending in support of my Spousal Visa application...

My husband was born and raised in the UK, so he's my sponsor. Our child is considered a British citizen (we have his UK passport), so I believe we must meet 18,600 GBP. My husband has a new job in the UK that he will start in a couple weeks and the salary exceeds the 18,600 GBP/year. Since it is under 6 mos that he's been employed with this organisation, we are filing under Category B (as ksand24 also advised earlier). My husband was at his previous employer in the U.S. for several years and his salary was quite good, so I believe that's all we need to show.

As mentioned in a previous post, there is one more piece of evidence needed before submitting the online application (the rental agreement for a property in the UK), but here's the list of what I've compiled to date:

Financial:

-Past 12 mos. of electronic pay stubs w/ company name, salary, etc. (They never mailed actual cheques).
-Past 12 mos of bank statements, each page stamped and signed by bank. (Last statement no older than 28 days from date of application submission). Each statement shows deposit of salary and employer's name.
-Copy of UK Job offer that includes contact info, salary amount (over 18,600 GBP), start date, etc.
-Also the rental agreement that includes diagram of house showing plenty of space. Agreement in both our names.

Applicant:

-Printed spousal application from online, plus handwritten VAF4A Appendix 2
-My current and previous U.S. passport.
-Passport photos
-Original divorce judgement (I was briefly married and divorced a long time ago. No children from this marriage.)

Sponsor (Husband):

-Certified copy of his current UK Passport (just the bio page)
-Letter of support (I'm using a post I found here on the forum as a guide for this).
-Our original marriage certificate
-Our child's original birth certificate. Not sure if I should include passport bio page as well? Since our child is a British citizen is that necessary?
-Also including some joint billing statements to show we are living together over a decade.

Made a note to myself to include the following as well:

-At some point during application process I pay the NHS charge, so if there's a receipt will include it.
-Biometrics receipt
-Priority payment receipt
-Return postage paid info
-Will include all documents in envelope and write in large letters "Settlement Priority Service" and post to Sheffield.
-Contents letter listing all that is enclosed.

Hope that's everything! It felt a bit strange filling out the Appendix 2. Lots of areas are left blank it seems. For example, only filled out one are of section 3, didn't need to fill out section 4.

Applying

This thread is fine for your list.  :)

Let us know everything you are planning to include please, not just the financial documents.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:33:30 AM by GwynH »

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »
Here's what I'm sending in support of my Spousal Visa application...

My husband was born and raised in the UK, so he's my sponsor. Our child is considered a British citizen (we have his UK passport), so I believe we must meet 18,600 GBP. My husband has a new job in the UK that he will start in a couple weeks and the salary exceeds the 18,600 GBP/year. Since it is under 6 mos that he's been employed with this organisation, we are filing under Category B (as ksand24 also advised earlier). My husband was at his previous employer in the U.S. for several years and his salary was quite good, so I believe that's all we need to show.

As mentioned in a previous post, there is one more piece of evidence needed before submitting the online application (the rental agreement for a property in the UK), but here's the list of what I've compiled to date:

Financial:

-Past 12 mos. of electronic pay stubs w/ company name, salary, etc. (They never mailed actual cheques).
-Past 12 mos of bank statements, each page stamped and signed by bank. (Last statement no older than 28 days from date of application submission). Each statement shows deposit of salary and employer's name.
-Copy of UK Job offer that includes contact info, salary amount (over 18,600 GBP), start date, etc.
-Also the rental agreement that includes diagram of house showing plenty of space. Agreement in both our names.

Applicant:

-Printed spousal application from online, plus handwritten VAF4A Appendix 2
-My current and previous U.S. passport.
-Passport photos
-Original divorce judgement (I was briefly married and divorced a long time ago. No children from this marriage.)

Sponsor (Husband):

-Letter of support (I'm using a post I found here on the forum as a guide for this).
-Our original marriage certificate
-Our child's original birth certificate. Not sure if I should include passport bio page as well? Since our child is a British citizen is that necessary?
-Also including some joint billing statements to show we are living together over a decade.

Made a note to myself to include the following as well:

-At some point during application process I pay the NHS charge, so if there's a receipt will include it.
-Biometrics receipt
-Priority payment receipt
-Return postage paid info
-Will include all documents in envelope and write in large letters "Settlement Priority Service" and post to Sheffield.
-Contents letter listing all that is enclosed.

Hope that's everything! It felt a bit strange filling out the Appendix 2. Lots of areas are left blank it seems. For example, only filled out one are of section 3, didn't need to fill out section 4.

You only fill in the parts that apply to you so there will blank sections when you've finished with appendix 2.

You are really light on your relationship evidence. Just having a child together is not considered proof of a genuine, enduring relationship by UKVI.

You should include 2 or 3 photos of the two of you together, letters and cards you have sent each other, evidence of how you have kept in touch for any periods you have been apart (email/skype logs etc)
Evidence of joint life together, covering the length of your relationship. Bills are good as you mention but also include joint bank/ credit card accounts, tax returns (just the page with both your names on it) insurance documents (home, car, life, medical etc)

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 08:26:21 AM »

If you have printed them yourselves, follow this guidance.

(bb) Payslips must be:

(i) original formal payslips issued by the employer and showing the employer’s name; or
    (ii) accompanied by a letter from the employer, on the employer’s headed paper and signed by a senior official, confirming the payslips are authentic;

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »
You don't need your child's birth certificate :).

I'm just going to reorganise your documents a little so they're easier to check. Anything you are missing, I've added in red:

Applicant:
- Contents letter
- Printed online application
- VAF4A Appendix 2
- current and previous U.S. passport.
- Passport photos
- IHS surcharge number/receipt
- Biometrics receipt
- Priority payment receipt
- Return postage paid info

Sponsor:
-Letter of support

Financial:
Category B:
- Past 12 mos. of electronic pay stubs w/ company name, salary, etc.
- Letter from the employer confirming authenticity of the electronic paystubs
- Past 12 mos of bank statements, each page stamped and signed by bank.
- Copy of UK Job offer that includes contact info, salary amount (over 18,600 GBP), start date, etc.
- If he has a signed contract for the new job as well, you could include that

Accommodation
- rental agreement in both names

Relationship evidence:
- Original marriage certificate
- Original divorce decree
- 1 or 2 photos of you together
- a few bills from the last 10 years (maybe 1 per year at most)
- tax returns from the last 10 years
- house deeds/rental agreements from the last 10 years
- evidence of communication with your husband since he returned to the UK,
 for example email inbox screenshots, Skype call logs etc.

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 05:43:41 PM »
Thanks, larrabee. We did print them ourselves. It's my husband's previous employer, so will have to jump through a few hoops to get a letter. Thank you for pointing that out!

Will also include more relationship evidence. I'm seriously regretting not saving all the wedding anniversary cards we receive each year. But we have lots of joint statements, some photos, etc that I will include.

If you have printed them yourselves, follow this guidance.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

Sponsored Links