Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Boyfriend moving to study in the UK. What are my options?  (Read 306 times)

• Liked: 0
Boyfriend moving to study in the UK. What are my options?
« on: August 11, 2017, 04:15:19 PM »
Before I get started, a spousal visa is out of the question. The relationship is still new and so marriage is not something we're really ready to consider yet.

So long story short: My boyfriend already had plans in motion to get a student visa to study in the UK when I came along and, one whirlwind romance later, we've been discussing the future of our relationship, one of the topics being the possibility of me joining him in the UK at some point in the future.

The option of applying for a student visa myself has crossed my mind, but 1.) I don't think I could afford it, and 2.) crushing low self-esteem has me believing I wouldn't be smart enough to be a university student anyway. So I'm hesitant on that one.

His program is about 3 years long, and because he's been to the UK before and loves it, he thinks he may want to stay there even after he graduates, especially since the university he is going to will help him find a job in his field.

Are there any other options besides student and marriage visas that would allow me to eventually join him in the UK?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Liked: 3595
Re: Boyfriend moving to study in the UK. What are my options?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 04:24:53 PM »
Hi there, welcome to the forum :).

Looks like you essentially know your options already. If marriage is currently out of the question, then unfortunately, there's not much else available to you.

Your options:

- study in the UK on a Tier 4 student visa yourself, though it's an expensive option (you'd need about $30,000 available to you just for the first year), and depending on your current academic qualifications, you may not meet the prerequisites because of the differences in the academic systems. For example, to get accepted into an undergraduate program, you usually need either: a US associates degree, or AP classes (level 5 or higher) in the subject(s) you wish to major in, or you have already taken college prep/college freshman/sophomore classes in the US.  When I studied abroad in the US as an undergrad, I went straight from finishing 2nd year undergrad classes in the UK to taking senior and graduate classes (400- and 500-level classes) in the US.
See: https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/overview

- Tier 2 sponsored work visa... though these can be extremely difficult to qualify for unless you work in a very highly skilled or in demand profession... just as high school math/physics teacher, doctor, nurse, academic researcher, skilled chef, professsional dancer, corporate executive etc. See: https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/overview

- visits to see him on a tourist visa when you can, though you'd need to be able to show you have a life, home and job to return to and aren't trying to use the visitor visa to 'live' in the UK with him. See: https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/overview
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:28:07 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 04:26:28 PM »
Hi mirrahndah! Welcome!  :)

Unfortunately those are really your only realistic options.  You have to be highly skilled to qualify for a work visa or really wealthy for the investor visa.

A lot of people here have made long distance relationships work though, so perhaps the spouse visa will be an option for you in the future, if it's meant to be.  :)

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:18:33 PM »
Thank you for your input! Quick question:

Say after a couple of years of long-distance, we decide we are ready to get at least engaged. Would I qualify to join him in the UK on a fiance visa even if we are both US citizens but he has a student or work visa? Or do fiance visas only apply to US citizens engaged to UK citizens?

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 05:21:01 PM »
Thank you for your input! Quick question:

Say after a couple of years of long-distance, we decide we are ready to get at least engaged. Would I qualify to join him in the UK on a fiance visa even if we are both US citizens but he has a student or work visa? Or do fiance visas only apply to US citizens engaged to UK citizens?

No, in order to be able to sponsor you for a fiance or spousal visa, he would either have to be a British citizen or a UK permanent resident (which takes 5 years to qualify for and time on a student visa doesn't count). [Or alternatively, an EEA citizen]

So, your only option then would be to marry (it's much easier to marry in the US than in the UK) and then apply for a Tier 4 Dependant visa to join him.

HOWEVER, you would only be able to qualify for a Tier 4 Dependant visa if he is studying for a masters-level degree or higher. If it's an undergrad degree, he is not allowed to bring any dependants anyway, so in that case, even if you were already married, you wouldn't be able to join him in the UK.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:23:11 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 05:38:21 PM »
Thanks, that really helps a lot. I mean, it doesn't help the situation. ^_^" But the information is certainly useful.

If after he gets his undergrad, he gets a job there in the UK and goes from a student to a work visa, could I also qualify for a dependent visa then? Assuming we've married by then.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 05:40:49 PM »
If after he gets his undergrad, he gets a job there in the UK and goes from a student to a work visa, could I also qualify for a dependent visa then? Assuming we've married by then.

Yes, you could :).

Have a read through the links for Tier 2 work and Tier 4 student visas to see what the requirements are for both the main applicants and their family members.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab