Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FATCA exemption and claiming inheritance  (Read 505 times)

• Liked: 0
FATCA exemption and claiming inheritance
« on: August 12, 2017, 07:35:33 PM »
Hello,

Just a quick one. I have some paperwork to fill out to claim my inheritance from some stocks that will be liquidated.  At the bottom of the form it says that I signing I certify that such and such is true.

The one that sticks out to me is "I am exempt from FATCA reporting."

I've never had to file FATCA because I've been mostly unemployed or don't make the $50,000+ (please correct me if I'm wrong). I have filed FBARS every year. I would imagine I'm not exempt, correct from FATCA reporting? 

If I'm not exempt, how does one claim an inheritance via liquidated stocks and such? Or has anyone come across this issue? I do not wish to keep the stocks as they are, I need this money to move back to the US.
Keepin' it real. Real annoying.

• Liked: 102
Re: FATCA exemption and claiming inheritance
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 07:06:48 AM »
Individuals never do FATCA reporting. What is the form number? Is this a non-US estate? Are you an executor?

• Liked: 0
Re: FATCA exemption and claiming inheritance
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »
There is no form number but the form is entitled "Reregistration and Redemption Options Form". Basically to either create an account for myself and transfer the stocks over or cash them out. This is for a US estate and I am not the executor, my sister is.

Yeah the "Exempt from FATCA reporting" really messes my thinking up, I know the banks do the reporting, correct? Unless you have like $50k and then you have to report? The whole thing confuses me. I hate doing taxes here. What I thought they were asking is whether or not you have a bank account in a foreign country that is subject to FATCA reporting whether you have the magical money amount or not.  I hope that makes sense.
Keepin' it real. Real annoying.

Sponsored Links