Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Newbie - Whirlwind Romance - Best Options for her moving to UK  (Read 1742 times)

• Liked: 70
Re: Newbie - Whirlwind Romance - Best Options for her moving to UK
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 06:35:07 PM »
This!  Two words:  supermarket meltdown

;)

True fact.  And on a regular basis as newly missed items are discovered.  Don't get me started on bio v non-bio.  12 years later and just mentioning the words on the wrong day can cause a downward spiral.

OP: I'd highly suggest your partner at least visit the UK first.  I know it's expensive and time-consuming when you're just ready to start your lives together.  However, it's a huge step (moving AND marriage - eeks!) and the little things really can and did get to lots of us at first.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 06:39:32 PM »
True fact.  And on a regular basis as newly missed items are discovered.  Don't get me started on bio v non-bio.  12 years later and just mentioning the words on the wrong day can cause a downward spiral.

Yesterday we took our glass bottles for recycling in the Sainsbury's parking lot at 4:30.  My daughter (3) wanted to go inside (it's her favourite store  ::)).  I told her it was closed.  She asked why.  My husband said, "PLEEEEEASE do not ask Mommy that....  there she goes!"   ;D

• Liked: 26
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 07:09:02 PM »
Don't get me started on bio v non-bio.  12 years later and just mentioning the words on the wrong day can cause a downward spiral.

Omg...yes to this. I spent a good amount of time googling the difference only to end up more confused  ???  Especially when I tried to run out to do the shopping on a Sunday afternoon at 5pm  ::) :P :-X

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 07:21:57 PM »
Omg...yes to this. I spent a good amount of time googling the difference only to end up more confused  ???  Especially when I tried to run out to do the shopping on a Sunday afternoon at 5pm  ::) :P :-X

Okay, a biological detergent works best on "biological based stains": blood, sweat, urine, vomit, milk, etc.

Non-biological for other things:  tomato, grass, dirt, markers

Non-bio is gentler and likely all you really need.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 05:10:19 PM »
It's called biological because it has enzymes in it, not because it breaks down biological stains. It's just a coincidence that bio detergents are better at removing those types of stains because they tend to be tougher to break down.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 05:36:12 PM »
It's called biological because it has enzymes in it, not because it breaks down biological stains. It's just a coincidence that bio detergents are better at removing those types of stains because they tend to be tougher to break down.

You are correct.  But that's how I can remember the difference.   ;D

• Liked: 70
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 06:55:16 PM »
There's so much sense being spoken in these explanations but it's still making my head explode.  I think I get it and then I go but grass is biological, right? and the cycle starts again.

In fairness, I always just buy the same thing every time and frankly nothing is going to make me change so knowing is a bit of a moot point.  Unless they change the brand.  Then I cry big ugly supersized tears in the supermarket while wailing whyyyy meeeeee.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:56:47 PM by Larissa »

• Liked: 134
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 10:43:27 PM »
There's so much sense being spoken in these explanations but it's still making my head explode.  I think I get it and then I go but grass is biological, right? and the cycle starts again.

In fairness, I always just buy the same thing every time and frankly nothing is going to make me change so knowing is a bit of a moot point.  Unless they change the brand.  Then I cry big ugly supersized tears in the supermarket while wailing whyyyy meeeeee.

Add to this the fact where I bought the wrong kind only to discover that I am violently allergic to Bio and you have me...
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 56
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »
I didn't realize how high the ILR and Citizenship costs are; we are rapidly coming up on the option for ILR in 18 months and we would have to pay for two of us, unless they alter the situation for EU folks based on sheer numbers and/or political pressure around that time. That being said, I have yet to see T. May run from the opportunity of higher immigration fees so....

Regarding Bio vs Non Bio - I buy whichever is cheapest :)

Re: OP post - definitely have her visit for an extended time. I was visiting/living here at various points over 15 years before I moved over for the second time and there are days where I am melting down over the differences. Sure the language is the same but it ends there and, frankly, there are some days when I look at people talking to me and wonder what the hell they are saying/asking for. Why not ensure you have the best chance for success with the marriage and aren't throwing away the money on visas just for her to get here and hate it/be overwhelmed/etc?

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2017, 08:51:04 AM »
I didn't realize how high the ILR and Citizenship costs are; we are rapidly coming up on the option for ILR in 18 months and we would have to pay for two of us, unless they alter the situation for EU folks based on sheer numbers and/or political pressure around that time. That being said, I have yet to see T. May run from the opportunity of higher immigration fees so....

Regarding Bio vs Non Bio - I buy whichever is cheapest :)

Re: OP post - definitely have her visit for an extended time. I was visiting/living here at various points over 15 years before I moved over for the second time and there are days where I am melting down over the differences. Sure the language is the same but it ends there and, frankly, there are some days when I look at people talking to me and wonder what the hell they are saying/asking for. Why not ensure you have the best chance for success with the marriage and aren't throwing away the money on visas just for her to get here and hate it/be overwhelmed/etc?

You get to apply for permanent residence which is only £65 each.  Lucky duck!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2017, 08:55:43 AM »

You're on EU rules which don't mix with UK rules so as KFdancer mentioned you'll be applying for PR costing 65gbp rather than for ILR.
EU rules stop at PR though so your citizenship application would be the same.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »
You get to apply for permanent residence which is only £65 each.  Lucky duck!

Even if someone can get PR before Brexit based on 5 years of lawful stay by the/their EEA citizen (and many won't as the EU makes it very easy to enter and live in another EEA country unlawfully) according to the UK release, PR will also end on Brexit as that is EU law.

Even those on what was the EU's PR, who would like to stay in the UK, will also have to pay what the UK calls, the "reasonable fee" to register. These will then be assessed to see if they will be allowed to remain in the UK. I don't think £65 will cover that UKVI cost.

It's why those on PR and who can get British citizenship before Brexit (these are of "Good Character") are rushing to get BC. However, the EU are very lax on who they allow to live in UK, but British citizenship rules are not.

It's worth remembering that these are just negotiations but as one solicitor has noted, if the talks break down, this is a guide to the very best the UK will give all the millions in the UK using EEA regulations and hoping to stay after Brexit. I suppose this is another reason why those that can, are going for British citizenship asap, to secure their stay.

I haven't kept up to date with any other offers as these don't mean anything until it is all set in stone.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:38:58 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 342
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 06:25:35 PM »
I didn't realize how high the ILR and Citizenship costs are; we are rapidly coming up on the option for ILR in 18 months and we would have to pay for two of us.

Don't confuse UK immigration rules with EEA Regualtions: ILR is UK immigration rules.

You are in the UK based on the fact that your EEA citizen sponsor must be what the EU's 2004 Directive calls a  "qualified person" every day. If he is, then he and you (as his family member) have a lawful right to be in the UK and get the EU's PR after 5 years. If he isn't and if you remain in the UK, then he (and therefore you as his family member) have no right to reside in the UK and he has reset his and your '5 years to PR clock' to zero. Any overstay can affect British citizenship.

If he then starts to be a qualified person again in the UK, then his (and therefore you as his family member) start your ' 5 years to PR' from zero again. The UK might allow a few days of him not being a QP to award you both the EU's PR but that is over and above what the EU's 2004 Directive says, as that doen't allow a single day of not being what they call a "qualified person".

unless they alter the situation for EU folks based on sheer numbers and/or political pressure around that time.

This is not the first time, nor will it be the last time, the UK has ended free movement of immigrants to the UK.

In the 60s, the UK ended free movement allowed for Commonwealth citizens, because the UK could no longer cope (services, NHS etc) with the high numbers of low skilled immigrants. The Immigration Act 1971 was brought in and ended their free movement, unless they have the skills to get a work visa. The UK still uses that Immigration Act 1971 Act today, to decide  who can have a UK "visa" to live in the UK. 

As for the "sheer numbers" the UK now also has the two new powerful Immigration Acts 2014 and 2016, to add to that 1971 Act that ended the previous free movement to the UK. The 2014 and 2016 Acts designed to make it very hard to survive in the UK when the UK says they can't stay. The 2016 Act making illegally working a criminal offence with jail time, was already focusing the minds of the non-EEA citizens, to make sure that their EEA citizen sponsor was always lawfully in the UK (lawfully = following the EEA regulations every day).

That being said, I have yet to see T. May run from the opportunity of higher immigration fees so....

The cost of your numerous RCs was paid for by those on UK immigration rules "visa". The UK likes those who use a service, to pay for it and that isn't just for immigration As the millions who entered the UK under EEA regulation could not be charged the full cost, the cost of all these millions is paid for by those on UK immigration visas.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:36:02 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 02:35:17 PM »
Hi gandalftheking
This was our experience with applying as a director of a limited company.  I hope it helps~
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=82420.msg1098829#msg1098829
Jan 2012  >  stars aligned & we met online
Feb 2012 - May 2013  >  lots of back & forth 
May 2013  >  biometrics & fiancé application
Jun 2013  >  fiancé visa approved (5 wk process w/o priority)
Oct 2013  >  married in the Peak District
Nov 2013 > FLR(M) approved (Croydon PEO)
Apr 2016 > FLR(M) approved (Croydon PEO)

• Liked: 210
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »
OP:

My UK wife sponsored me as the director of her own limited company. The salary she paid herself was under the 18,600 minimum, but her dividends did count to meet the requirement. You will want Category F for your financial requirement.

Self-employment requires a TON of paperwork. The only advantage is that, depending on when your fiscal year starts, you have a lot more leeway for meeting the 1-month window for paperwork (as you have to show tax returns, etc. for the previous financial year, vs. non-self employed people who have to show paystubs, etc. that have to be recent).

As to a quick romance, my wife and I had been online friends for over two years but had only been dating for a few months before our marriage. Some steps we took to prove the authenticity of our relationship:

1. Kept boarding passes for my visit to her and her visit to me
2. Kept records of our instant messages, FB conversations, blog posts, etc.
3. Kept records of gifts, cards, and letters we mailed to each other (dated envelopes with the postmark, package tracking receipts, etc.)
4. Included all relevant preparations for our engagement and wedding, such as receipts for engagement ring, wedding rings, emails to book the church, receipts for food for wedding reception, etc.
5. Wedding invitations/announcements
6. Photos from the wedding, including a photo with all of the attendees
7. Cards we received at the wedding

This would be overkill for a normal application and not recommended, but due to our very short engagement/romantic relationship we needed to prove that we were genuinely in a relationship. I think we added some more stuff not mentioned here (it's been a few months and I've tried to forget the pain of the application! :P).

Don't underestimate the difficulty of proving you meet the financial requirements. We had a list of self-employment papers that was ridiculous. Our original package weighed well over the 5 pound limit, sigh.

******It took my wife FIVE MONTHS to gather all of the needed paperwork.******

In our case some of it was due to a deadbeat accountant (who did come through eventually), but the paperwork really is that involved and complicated.

First thing: If you have any plan to apply for a spousal or fiancee visa, make sure you get PAPER bank statements immediately. You'll need paper bank statements for the last full financial year for your business, and they take both time and money to obtain (if you've gone paperless...if you haven't, you're in luck).

And you'll need to get your accountant to prepare paperwork to prove that your business is legitimate and making as much money as you say it is.

Have funnnnnnn...

As to the visiting each other extensively advice...to some extent, you'll have to wait a few months anyway due to the time required to collect paperwork. Category F is no joke. But if you feel this is right and your fiancee does as well...sometimes it is worth jumping off the cliff. My wife and I went from best friends to fiancees to spouses within four months. So there you go. :)

Best of luck!
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab