Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Are houses/flats typically clean with you move in?  (Read 3794 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: Are houses/flats typically clean with you move in?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 05:38:15 PM »
<posh git>our cleaner does our oven for us <\posh git >

• Liked: 537
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 06:08:58 PM »
I would say yes, British homes are built to be air tight, and that leads to stuffiness and mustiness. I am yet to actually go into a non new house that doesn't smell a bit weird or strongly of air freshener.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 07:19:06 PM »
We did have a self cleaning oven and the cycle took 12 hours.  Not sure we did it more than once.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 07:57:33 PM »
We just rented a house and it was very dirty when my husband went to do the walk through and pick up the keys.  Is this typical over there?  Are the new tenants usually responsible for cleaning before move in?  The owner (who moved out in May) seemed offended when my husband told them how dirty it was.  He said the oven was filthy, etc.  I just wondered if our expectations are too high and this was typical over there.

Oh, so sorry this is your introduction to Glasgow!

We moved into a flat that had been vacant for months and they had just "refurbished" with new Pergo flooring, dual-pane windows, a new toilet, and a coat of paint. The how-to-install sticker is still on the toilet (amazing glue they used! Can't get it off!!!). When we moved in there was Pergo dust on everything, sticking to the walls, etc., and although the inside of the oven was clean, on top of the cabinets and the handles everything was kinda greasy/gunky. I guess their cleaner didn't bother to do up there...  I spent a full day wiping down all the walls, then getting the yutz off the top of the cabinets.  Drawers in the freezer were broken and held on with painter's tape. The front bathroom window had been left open for I don't know how long, so perhaps that helped as we had no mustiness. Or maybe it was because they took all the carpet out and the paint was fresh.  They've been ripping carpet out and replacing with laminate as residents move out - and it's a good thing, I think!

Other than that, it was pretty clean. Some of the flats I looked at, though, were in hideous shape - you'd think if they really wanted to rent them they'd have them tidied up before showing them??? But I guess not?

• Liked: 116
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 11:38:45 AM »
Our flat was clean and we have to have it professionally cleaned when we move out.  All of the appliances were new though.

I had to chuckle when I saw lyonaria's post...even though our flat has pretty good ventilation (windows on 3 sides) it still came with one of those plug in air fresheners.  Luckily now we've got our books out and have had many cleans with our preferred products and it smells like home.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 154
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 11:59:02 AM »
We looked at a house recently and the last tenants got evicted and trashed the place. The landlord put money to fix the things they broke etc but pretty much said it is as is.

We just signed a contract on a new house and I stipulated that the house be professionally cleaned as part of the tenancy. We shall see when we move

• Liked: 154
Are houses/flats typically clean with you move in?
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »
Musty would make me think there's mold somewhere.  We don't have HVAC systems in the UK so you'll find you are ALWAYS fighting dust!

I have my oven professionally cleaned twice a year.  Am I the only one?   ;D  Was just done on Tuesday.  They don't have self-cleaning ovens here and for £40, the professional clean is 100% worth it!  They take it completely apart and soak it in tanks in their van.

Omg I would totally do this! We're selling our oven because our new place has one. And I spent a good few hours cleaning it to get it sparkly and new looking. I bought a kit that lets the shelves soak in chemicals in a big bag. It worked great but the elbow grease I put into it plus chemicals where you have to wear gloves  to use just wasn't worth it.

And I try to clean it every few months but this was be first time I realllllly scrubbed it out.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 12:53:23 PM »
I'm so glad I don't rent anymore, but every place I moved into was clean.  I had to get everything professionally cleaned when moving out too.
Leaving a house that was owned, well it can just be left it a tip for the next person. 

After years and years of renting and being beaten on cleaning when leaving, when I had moved in with my then BF (now husband) and we sold his house, I was going mad with cleaning and he was like "What are you doing? They bought the house, they can clean the oven!" 

Life is good when you own a property in the UK. I don't have to answer evil cows called letting agents. There is a special place in hell for them. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 01:10:23 PM »
I've not rented before, but my husband and I own 1/3rd of a rental property. I wouldn't be shocked if this was a property you were purchasing, but definitely wouldn't expect that from a rental property. You're typically supposed to make sure the property is in the same condition you found it in (whether that's deep cleaning yourself or hiring a professional cleaner). This includes the oven. This sounds like it says more about the landlord than it does normal practices when renting a flat.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 01:53:35 PM »
I'm convinced that sometimes the landlords let builders sleep in a property if they are getting work done in between tenets. 

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 02:46:45 PM »
I've not rented before, but my husband and I own 1/3rd of a rental property. I wouldn't be shocked if this was a property you were purchasing, but definitely wouldn't expect that from a rental property. You're typically supposed to make sure the property is in the same condition you found it in (whether that's deep cleaning yourself or hiring a professional cleaner). This includes the oven. This sounds like it says more about the landlord than it does normal practices when renting a flat.

1/3rd?  Is this a shared ownership thing?  I've only ever heard of them for living in.  Interesting!
Spouse Visa:

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 02:51:49 PM »
1/3rd?  Is this a shared ownership thing?  I've only ever heard of them for living in.  Interesting!

It's because it was my husband's flat from before we got married. We got married, I moved over, and then after a year or two we started looking to move...but we were in a super popular area so didn't want to totally let the place go...so my two BIL's bought in so each "family" (technically just the guys I guess) own a third of the flat each. Gave us the equity to upgrade our house without losing the property that is just going to go up in value.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 70
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »
The place we bought was the dirtiest place we moved into.  All the rentals were pretty clean, though my neat freak partner still cleaned them all ceiling to skirting boards.  For rentals it was like they'd always cleaned the surface, but hadn't done any type of deep clean.  For the house we bought, we think the second we put in our offer they decided not to ever clean again - plus left us with a broken fridge and broken oven to dispose of.

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 09:25:44 AM »
The place we bought was the dirtiest place we moved into.  All the rentals were pretty clean, though my neat freak partner still cleaned them all ceiling to skirting boards.  For rentals it was like they'd always cleaned the surface, but hadn't done any type of deep clean.  For the house we bought, we think the second we put in our offer they decided not to ever clean again - plus left us with a broken fridge and broken oven to dispose of.

Were the fridge and oven included with the house?? Or did they literally just abandon them? Because I believe there is *something* you can do if it was in working order and meant to be included in the house but they ended up broken when you moved in.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 02:28:03 PM »
According to the People Who Know It All at mumsnet you could at least stick them with the removal costs.  I've never had this issue so I don't know the truth in it, but it's worth a shot if it's recent?
Spouse Visa:

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab