Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Are houses/flats typically clean with you move in?  (Read 3793 times)

• Liked: 70
Re: Are houses/flats typically clean with you move in?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 07:05:18 PM »
Were the fridge and oven included with the house?? Or did they literally just abandon them? Because I believe there is *something* you can do if it was in working order and meant to be included in the house but they ended up broken when you moved in.

Yes, according to the contact when we purchased the flat the fridge and oven, among other things, were included.  There were actually quite a few bits like that.  It was like every time we turned around something else was broken that we'd have no way of knowing during our 3 viewings before putting in an offer.  We just replaced them and moved on.  Doing something legal wasn't worth the cost or time.  I think we just paid about £100 total extra for removal of old pieces when new appliances were delivered.  A - O, let's go!  :D

• Liked: 1892
Are houses/flats typically clean with you move in?
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 11:14:59 AM »
Just FYI, Curry's will take almost any electrical items and recycle them for free.  I think it's EU law.  I've dropped off broken printers and refrigerators without a problem.

To be fair, I guess our local dump will do the same but Currys is closer and open longer.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:16:13 AM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 11:25:15 AM »
Just FYI, Curry's will take almost any electrical items and recycle them for free.  I think it's EU law.  I've dropped off broken printers and refrigerators without a problem.

To be fair, I guess our local dump will do the same but Currys is closer and open longer.

Our tip takes them but the problem is having a vehicle big enough to transport this stuff. We are okay but I know tons of people who's cars are just so small. our friends end up borrowing ours lol
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 70
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 11:30:29 AM »
That's the one!  Tip is very close, but I'm a Londoner with a small car.  But it's a hybrid and we love it :)  Plus the AO people had the right tools to remove the appliances easily from an upper floor flat without scratching the floors.  Job done!

OP: Any response from your landlord yet?  I think it's hard when it was the landlord as the last owner.  People clearly all think they're quite clean when it may be a simple difference of standards.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »
We just moved into a place this month and it was not clean, at least not to my standards.  My husband and I spent I think a week cleaning it before we moved furniture in. I wanted to paint but that would have meant longer outside of the place while paying rent. We cleaned the place from top to bottom, dusting skirting boards and wipping everything down. 

We have radiators (no clue how they work) but the amount of dust between the two panels was grossing me out, bought a special brush to clean them.  We had light fixtures with a quarter inch of dust, carpet had stains and was very badly fitted so we got them steam cleaned, it smelled of tons of air freshener which convinced me they were hidding mold,  we are working on painting what I call the nightmare room bc apparently they had a leak which they fixed but I am convinced there is mold...my husband can never smell anything and says it's in my head, after airing the place out I don't feel it smells but not sure if I've gone nose blind to it.  I bought activated charcoal and some sort of air sponge (husband just goes with it) while I save for a good purifier that kills EVERYTHING.

Also all the door knobs in this place don't work right and doors are a pain to lock...and there are so many doors :(

I vacuum all the time and found it's helping minimize dust, which was horrible when we lived with my husband's dad...we have windows open so dust always gets in.

Also, council tax is high, like 2k..and I don't get why you still have to pay for them to haul certain items for disposal..back in the states that is free in our county and covered by property tax...which were high but it's the same here for less benefits, at least it feels like that.

To be honest, I guess the place isn't bad, its in a nice village for cheaps for three bedrooms, and its a semi detached.  Its just that the last time I lived in a rented place was when I was a child and since then  it's been new construction other than places we stay during vacation (which most of the time I try to find newer places too lol), so I think the idea of other people's skin cells in a dusty house is more of a me issue...now to try and wash the only two pairs of curtains we kept so we wouldn't punish our neighbors with our hot sexy bods.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:32:40 AM by ConsuelaLemonPledge »
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »
We just moved into a place this month and it was not clean, at least not to my standards.  My husband and I spent I think a week cleaning it before we moved furniture in. I wanted to paint but that would have meant longer outside of the place while paying rent. We cleaned the place from top to bottom, dusting skirting boards and wipping everything down. 

We have radiators (no clue how they work) but the amount of dust between the two panels was grossing me out, bought a special brush to clean them.  We had light fixtures with a quarter inch of dust, carpet had stains and was very badly fitted so we got them steam cleaned, it smelled of tons of air freshener which convinced me they were hidding mold,  we are working on painting what I call the nightmare room bc apparently they had a leak which they fixed but I am convinced there is mold...my husband can never smell anything and says it's in my head, after airing the place out I don't feel it smells but not sure if I've gone nose blind to it.  I bought activated charcoal and some sort of air sponge (husband just goes with it) while I save for a good purifier that kills EVERYTHING.

Also all the door knobs in this place don't work right and doors are a pain to lock...and there are so many doors :(

I vacuum all the time and found it's helping minimize dust, which was horrible when we lived with my husband's dad...we have windows open so dust always gets in.

Also, council tax is high, like 2k..and I don't get why you still have to pay for them to haul certain items for disposal..back in the states that is free in our county and covered by property tax...which were high but it's the same here for less benefits, at least it feels like that.

To be honest, I guess the place isn't bad, its in a nice village for cheaps for three bedrooms, and its a semi detached.  Its just that the last time I lived in a rented place was when I was a child and since then  it's been new construction other than places we stay during vacation (which most of the time I try to find newer places too lol), so I think the idea of other people's skin cells in a dusty house is more of a me issue...now to try and wash the only two pairs of curtains we kept so we wouldn't punish our neighbors with our hot sexy bods.

Oh this is my biggest fear.  We're moving in two weeks into an older property.

When we viewed it, it seemed to be up kept ok but definitely needed a good deep clean. I told the letting agents that was one of my things that had to be done along with steam cleaning or replacing carpets. 

I haven't heard back though, I just dislike the thought of other people's dirt.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2017, 02:13:03 PM »

Oh this is my biggest fear.  We're moving in two weeks into an older property.

When we viewed it, it seemed to be up kept ok but definitely needed a good deep clean. I told the letting agents that was one of my things that had to be done along with steam cleaning or replacing carpets. 

I haven't heard back though, I just dislike the thought of other people's dirt.

If you've signed paperwork and this wasn't specifically stipulated, I'm not sure the letting agent really can do much if the landlord doesn't do this unfortunately :( I might be wrong, but from what we've looked into when becoming landlords, it seems like there's not much that can be done (on either side) if it's not pre-agreed.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 35
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »

There are lots of annoying things like this about the UK. There are lots of annoying things about the US. The best way is to focus on the positives of both countries and accept that some things will be different "just because".

• Liked: 35
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »
I told the letting agents that was one of my things that had to be done along with steam cleaning or replacing carpets. 

I haven't heard back though

If they don't do it then when you move in carefully document the state of the house/carpets. Take photos and video. Make sure the condition/cleanliness of the house/carpets is accurately described on the dual-signed inventory. As long as you didn't promise in writing to clean when you move out, you can leave the house/carpets in the same condition as when you moved in.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 06:46:52 AM »
If they don't do it then when you move in carefully document the state of the house/carpets. Take photos and video. Make sure the condition/cleanliness of the house/carpets is accurately described on the dual-signed inventory. As long as you didn't promise in writing to clean when you move out, you can leave the house/carpets in the same condition as when you moved in.

Thanks! I've actually got him to complete a list of things for move in Friday :) including new carpets

But I'm going in with my camera before any furniture goes in.

Sponsored Links