Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mexican Americans?  (Read 2675 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Mexican Americans?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 01:14:10 PM »
Yaasss! Totally miss Target! Especially this time of the year... the Halloween stuff will be making its way out!

I'm now missing target AND Halloween stuff! :(

Welcome to the group though! :D
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 768
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 01:18:57 PM »
Also a displaced Target addict.

My favorite hobby was cruising the clearance for unmarked markdowns. Best deal ever was my Vitamix. Originally  $600. Marked 30% off so I scanned it and it was actually 70% off.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 01:19:44 PM »
Also a displaced Target addict.

My favorite hobby was cruising the clearance for unmarked markdowns. Best deal ever was my Vitamix. Originally  $600. Marked 30% off so I scanned it and it was actually 70% off.

I always LOVE when that happens! haha
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 01:23:47 PM »
Hello Texas Peach and Welcome to the Forum!

I am Lorena from El Paso, Texas.

All four of my grandparents were born and raised in Mexico and so was my father but my mother was American-born. So, I am a first and second generation American. I always tell people I am indeed 1/2 Mexican and 1/2 American. So, I totally get the reference of Selena's dad about not fitting into either culture quite right. Let's add that I have been married to an Englishman for 21 years and things get a bit more muddled but it's all good :)

So, what has brought you to the UK? How long have you been there and where are you  currently? What part of Texas are you from? I have been stateside for over 13 years (I currently live in Houston) but I did spend the first eight years of my married life in Berkshire and Lancashire back in the 90's and girl, you think it's a Mexican food desert now, only imagine what it was like in 1995. I went YEARS without Mexican food or in our world, "food". But, I have the keep abreast of Mexican food developments over there since my family is planning to return in the next few years.

You will need to make your acquaintance with www.mexgrocer.co.uk because they sell masa harina to make your own corn tortillas and they even have blue corn masa harina and dried chiles so your day might have just got much better! Sometimes they stock corn husks for tamales. Plus, they sell molcajete's for the proper "India Maria" experience and tortilla presses, comals. If you really want to get your UK friends "Mexican drunk", they also sell "Loteria" cards and you can find Tecate, Sol and Modelo at most grocery stores like Tesco or even Majestic Wine or make your own margaritas. If you happen to be near London, you could visit The Cool Chile Company at Borough Market or visit them online at www.coolchile.co.uk and get your supplies. As for flour tortillas, it's an easy recipe and you won't need to buy them. I'll post my super easy recipe a little later (I'm out of my house).

As for Takis, I have to admit that I haven't looked for them since those are relatively new to me but damn, I used to get my best friends to bring me "Sabritones" by the case when I lived there. Once I go back, I'll totally be with you. We could listen to "Vicente" and cry in our beers, "Volver, Volver" and all that to ease the pain. lol I'm the daughter of a professional mariachi so I do that often...

Anyways, if you have any questions or anything, "aqui estoy" :)

Let's see, in order:  Long story short, I was in the USN Navy stationed in Virginia and my husband is RAF and was also stationed in Virginia. We married there and I finished out my enlistment and he got stationed back in the UK, so here we are. We're in Ashchurch, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire. The way I feel best to describe this place is: occassionally you can hear the cows moo, and when the wind blows just right, you can smell them too. HAHAHA! I'm from Dallas, actual Dallas. I've only ever been in the city, and then stationed in major cities while in the Navy, so this place is a huge culture shock to me! Girl I cannot imagine being here back in 95! No Mexgrocer! I have heard of them and used them back when I was stationed in Japan lol! But it's soooo expensive! HAHAHAHA The La India Maria experience!I only ever used a molcajete to hold the meat down in the water as it defrosts or to hold the corn husks in the water as they soak hahaha!!!!

I have a coworker visiting the US in a few and I'm thinking of asking her to bring me some hot cheetos hahaha! OMG Volver Volver hahaha! While my husband was deployed, on the weekends I blare Selena while cleaning... you know, Saturday morning grove to clean, windows open and everything. Poor neighbours texted me asking what was going on hahaha! I cannot sing to save my life, so you really don't want me to sing hahaha!

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 01:30:57 PM »
Hi Texas. Welcome to our world!

Not Mexican-American, but grew up in West Texas and lived for 20 years in SoCal. And am having a serious "miss Target, miss bacon-chipotle-cheddar fries" moment this morning. Spent all yesterday afternoon trudging through shops looking for molasses - found some, but need it to be not blackstrap).  Sigh. It used to be so easy, getting in the car, going through the drive through, then to Target and having it have everything I was looking for all in one place.

Still, finding things here is an adventure, so.... if anyone knows where to get molasses (not treacle, gaak) that isn't blackstrap molasses, here in Glasgow...?

I need a good recipe for beef tamales, too. (Otherwise I'll have the daughter email her M.A. friends in Cali and have them ask their moms.)

The day after I posted this, and I still miss Target hahaha! Yes, I totally miss all my conveniences :(    Around Christmas time I'll be calling my mom for the tamales recipe.... gonna make a real attempt this year lol!

• Liked: 4985

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 01:37:50 PM »
FYI Texas Peach and all who love spicy Tex-Mex snacks:

www.mexgrocer.co.uk  sells 60g bags of Takis for GBP 1.60; SABRITONES (thank the good almighty Lord!) 175g for GBP 3.90; Mexican Fritos 60g bag for GBP 1.25

If anyone is in Bristol, there's a store called, Otomi that is a Mexican grocer in Clifton Arcade and they sell dried chiles, pulparindo, mazapan and very cool Luche Libre masks for those nights where wrestling just hits the spot or you indulged in the Mezcal...

For those with strong stomachs or have a sense of adventure, there's www.mexika.co.uk and they sell Michelada mix to spice up your beer, some Tajin to season your fruit to give it a chile kick and the party pack of Chicarones and Valentina. That stuff is what I am talking 'bout! Yes! Nothing like hot sauce and pork rinds to put a pep in your step!

Here's a basic flour tortilla recipe that I use. I'm not traditional so I don't use lard but nothing is stopping y'all from doing it and if you have a comal and a press, use those too :)

BASIC FLOUR TORTILLA RECIPE:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
⅓ cup vegetable oil
1 cup warm water

Directions:

In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt and baking powder. Sift together, stir in vegetable oil. Stir together until it resembles coarse crumbs.

Add warm water to the flour mixture.

Stir until combine.

For tacos sized tortillas, use a cookie dough scooper and scoop dough into balls until dough is completely gone. Set the balls of dough on a floured surface.

For burrito sized tortillas, use an ice cream scooper and scoop dough into balls until the dough is completely gone. Set the balls of dough on a floured surface.

Cover the balls of dough with light dry kitchen towel and let them rest 20-30 minutes.

(I wait sometimes up to an hour.)

Flatten the dough balls into round flat ball and roll out with a rolling pin.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, until pan is hot. Then reduce heat to medium

Set one tortilla in the pan, and cook until it starts to bubble on the side that is up, that tells you it is ready to flip.

Flip the tortilla and cook on the other side for 30-45 seconds, or until a light golden brown. This can take longer if your pan is cooling.

Repeat with remaining tortillas.

I set my cooked tortillas on a clean kitchen towel and then once they are all cooked I wrap them in that towel until I am ready to serve. If I am not serving until the next day, once they all cool I will store in a gallon Ziplock bag.

One of the greatest posts ever.  Thanks Lorena!

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 03:02:38 PM »
I always LOVE when that happens! haha

Target is the besssssst. I had that cartwheel app too, so I'd be on top of sales lol! The closest I've come to Target here is maybe Sainsbury's. Maybe Waitrose but I find Waitrose to be a bit pricer, but you do get coffee lol!

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 03:06:39 PM »
Target is the besssssst. I had that cartwheel app too, so I'd be on top of sales lol! The closest I've come to Target here is maybe Sainsbury's. Maybe Waitrose but I find Waitrose to be a bit pricer, but you do get coffee lol!

In fairness, I don't think I'd ever think to compare Target to Waitrose or Sainsbury's! haha that is definitely a first for me!  I'm not even sure I could make a comparison of any shop here to Target....maybe Wilkos except without the groceries Target has? (only been in one once before so could totally be wrong but it seemed like it had a bit of everything at reasonable prices?)

Hard for me to honestly compare it to anything, like I said! Especially when it comes to decorations :D
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 03:29:27 PM »
People from Texas... does anybody have a line on pickled okra?  Or a copycat recipe?  Sources to buy it?  My brand was Talk o' Texas hot pickled okra, but it's not available over here and my family refuse to send it because it could break in transit.  No amount of "That's a risk I'm wiling to take!!" can change their minds.  *sigh*
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
People from Texas... does anybody have a line on pickled okra?  Or a copycat recipe?  Sources to buy it?  My brand was Talk o' Texas hot pickled okra, but it's not available over here and my family refuse to send it because it could break in transit.  No amount of "That's a risk I'm wiling to take!!" can change their minds.  *sigh*
Make your own pickled okra? My Tesco sells okra so it shouldn't be that difficult.

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 05:39:25 PM »
Make your own pickled okra? My Tesco sells okra so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Sorry, I don't like pickled okra! Hmm They could totally wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in a ziplock bag and send! My moms sent me loads of breakable stuff over the years (military life) and thats how she sends it and rarely does stuff arrive broken :)

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 05:41:46 PM »

Sorry, I don't like pickled okra! Hmm They could totally wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in a ziplock bag and send! My moms sent me loads of breakable stuff over the years (military life) and thats how she sends it and rarely does stuff arrive broken :)
Except it would be so expensive to ship it here.

I would personally just experiment with homemade pickled okra then you won't be beholden to trying to import it.

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »
Except it would be so expensive to ship it here.

I would personally just experiment with homemade pickled okra then you won't be beholden to trying to import it.

Ya fair enough. That tax on incoming stuff over £45 is real!!!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 05:56:26 PM »
In fairness, I don't think I'd ever think to compare Target to Waitrose or Sainsbury's!

Agree!  There is *nothing* like Target!  ;D

Sponsored Links