Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Mexican Americans?  (Read 2674 times)

• Liked: 7
Re: Mexican Americans?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 06:04:21 PM »
Agree!  There is *nothing* like Target!  ;D

You're right but truly that's the closest comparison I've seen lol

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 06:08:49 PM »

Sorry, I don't like pickled okra! Hmm They could totally wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in a ziplock bag and send! My moms sent me loads of breakable stuff over the years (military life) and thats how she sends it and rarely does stuff arrive broken :)

I've told them that.  I think they just hate me and don't want me to have the things I love.  :(

How can you not like pickled okra?!  It's only the most incredible thing to be put in pickling solution!

Make your own pickled okra? My Tesco sells okra so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Yes, that's my intention when I have space to do that sort of thing.  I have so much space, but virtually no kitchen prep area.  I've never pickled or canned anything, before.  Do I have to do the whole submerge-it-in-boiling-water thing if it's immersed in vinegar and spices?  Anybody know?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 06:13:04 PM »
I've told them that.  I think they just hate me and don't want me to have the things I love.  :(

How can you not like pickled okra?!  It's only the most incredible thing to be put in pickling solution!

Yes, that's my intention when I have space to do that sort of thing.  I have so much space, but virtually no kitchen prep area.  I've never pickled or canned anything, before.  Do I have to do the whole submerge-it-in-boiling-water thing if it's immersed in vinegar and spices?  Anybody know?
I've not pickled okra but maybe you can do a fermented version instead as that is way less prep.

Google fermented okra recipes. Fermenting veg is super easy! Way easier than canning.

And I keep forgetting you don't have a proper kitchen.

I feel your pain. 7 years ago I lost my house in a fire and my 3 kids and I lived in a tent inside of a barn for almost 4 months. I had no kitchen... just a bbq grill. Dishes had to be done in a bucket.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 06:55:46 PM »
I've not pickled okra but maybe you can do a fermented version instead as that is way less prep.

Google fermented okra recipes. Fermenting veg is super easy! Way easier than canning.

I feel your pain. 7 years ago I lost my house in a fire and my 3 kids and I lived in a tent inside of a barn for almost 4 months. I had no kitchen... just a bbq grill. Dishes had to be done in a bucket.

Ooh, fermenting does look much easier... and I could do it in my present set-up.  Does it have that same zing of pickling?  I like sauerkraut, which is just fermented cabbage, but I've had "bad" sauerkraut before that just tasted salty and boring.  I want that vinegary pickle flavor.

Hrm.  The second video I watched on fermenting, the guy said I need to store my jars out of direct sunlight, between 70 and 75°F (21 to 24°C) while they're fermenting... I don't have any room in my house that stays that warm.  I might have to wait until we have heat. Or maybe next summer will be warmer.  I don't think we even get to 65F in here.

Anyway I am definitely going to try!  Yay!  Thanks, nctami!

Your fire experience is awful!  I have tried not to complain too much about our house, because I'm grateful to no longer be renting, and to have all the things that we do have.  But some days, the situation gets frustrating.  I can't even begin to imagine what that was like for you, and with kids to feed (and clean up after)!  Not to mention the sense of loss... :/  I'm so sorry.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 07:22:54 PM »

I bet that was just a big adventure for the kids, as awful as it must have been for you.  :-\\\\

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2017, 07:31:25 PM »
I bet that was just a big adventure for the kids, as awful as it must have been for you.  :-\\\\
Besides the initial shock of running out of our house, at 11pm, into 3 feet of snow without shoes or coats and the sense of loss of our belongings and our beloved pets... (2 dogs and a cat)

It actually turned into a fantastic summer. I had an outside shower built on the back side of our barn. We had hot and cold running water in the lower barn.

The kids had 18 acres to run around,  ride their dirt bikes, play hide and seek.

We had no cable, tv, data or wifi so we had to read real books, play games and talk to each other.

It was a bbq every night with a campfire. Sometimes our surviving dogs would get sprayed by a skunk then jump into our tents with us.

I kinda wish I could live that way again.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 07:32:14 PM »

Kosher dill pickles aren't actually canned. Especially not my favorite Claussen ones. Says so on the jar, they're always cold through the whole process. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 10:24:04 AM »
Besides the initial shock of running out of our house, at 11pm, into 3 feet of snow without shoes or coats and the sense of loss of our belongings and our beloved pets... (2 dogs and a cat)

It actually turned into a fantastic summer. I had an outside shower built on the back side of our barn. We had hot and cold running water in the lower barn.

The kids had 18 acres to run around,  ride their dirt bikes, play hide and seek.

We had no cable, tv, data or wifi so we had to read real books, play games and talk to each other.

It was a bbq every night with a campfire. Sometimes our surviving dogs would get sprayed by a skunk then jump into our tents with us.

I kinda wish I could live that way again.

That does sound like fun, probably sounds better than it actually was. 

Did this happen in North Carolina?  It just dawned on me that your name is NC Tami.  I always said it in my head as nctami, like the clicking languages in Africa.  !!!tami

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2017, 10:26:13 AM »
That does sound like fun, probably sounds better than it actually was. 

Did this happen in North Carolina?  It just dawned on me that your name is NC Tami.  I always said it in my head as nctami, like the clicking languages in Africa.  !!!tami

hahah I did not realise this either....I was reading it in my head like "nec-tami"
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2017, 10:34:46 AM »

hahah I did not realise this either....I was reading it in my head like "nec-tami"
Lolol. It was actually when I lived in Ohio. I'm from Florida but over the course of my former married life I've also lived in Connecticut  (Navy submarine base), Ohio and North Carolina. I moved to Scotland from NC.

My name is just plain Tami. Lol

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »
Tammy Faye?

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2017, 10:41:26 AM »
Tammy Faye?
Oh no. My makeup can't compete.

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2017, 10:52:08 AM »

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2017, 12:57:42 PM »
Lolol. It was actually when I lived in Ohio. I'm from Florida but over the course of my former married life I've also lived in Connecticut  (Navy submarine base), Ohio and North Carolina. I moved to Scotland from NC.

Ohio explains the three feet of snow!  I was puzzled because I had guessed NC stood for North Carolina, but the story didn't sound like an NC experience.

I lived in Ohio for three years for grad school.  It was the first place I'd ever lived that got "winter weather".  The first time it snowed significantly, I went about my normal routine, trying to take it all in stride (even though my still-wet-from-my-shower hair froze while I was uncovering my car to drive to campus).  I finally got to class to find that 3/4 of my classmates and my professor had not bothered to show up.  Apparently, I was playing it a little too cool and there is such a thing as a "snow day" in northern states, too.

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2017, 01:49:31 PM »
Here is a movie they made about Raleigh.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab