Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving from the US to the UK  (Read 1457 times)

• Liked: 0
Moving from the US to the UK
« on: May 29, 2003, 08:13:12 AM »
And selling a house in the US. How much will I have to pay in taxes to the US before I leave and what is the best way to get the money out of the country??

Please help.
Joanne

Re: Moving from the US to the UK
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 02:24:26 PM »
Hi there

Whether you will be taxed on the sale of your house depends on whether this was your principal residence.  If it was, then provided that you owned and occupied this property for 2 out of the last 5 years, gain of $500,000 (if filing MFJ) and $250,000 (if filing MFS) will be exempt from US taxation.

I am not qualified to advise you on the best ways of bringing the proceeds to the UK, but there are other forum members with similar experience. Perhaps they can shed some light on this .....

Helen

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 08:22:17 AM »
Helen,

thank you for your prompt answer, and a good one at that  ;D If there are any members out there who have had to move a large amount of money out of the country and have some advice on how to do it, I would be extremely grateful.

What a great site!!!!

Joanne
Joanne

• coming home!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 06:40:32 PM »
Hi there, this is my first question and it has to do with the above query. We to will be needing to move a large amount of money{from the sale of our house}. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 04:21:11 PM »
As the gain on sale of principal residence is also exempt in the UK, you can bring the proceeds from the sale of your US home to the UK without any tax consequence.  The fund will keep its nature (i.e. gain on the sale of home) when remited to the UK.

However I recommend that you keep good back up documents (bank statements, closing statements, etc) to show that the money remitted to the UK is indeed from sale of home case the Inland Revenue questions this.

Regards
Helen

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab