Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need a bit of advice  (Read 1245 times)

• Liked: 253
Need a bit of advice
« on: August 17, 2017, 01:35:20 PM »
So I'm applying for specifically communications/media roles (like FT/PT/even paid internships just to get more experience). I have a bit of UK experience and a UK degree. I seem to be getting to the interview stage, and I don't actually get the job. I really don't know where I'm going wrong. I've gone to like four interviews in the past week and a half, all with the same result.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any advice that isn't the generic stuff I've been reading online. Should I not be bothering even sending in apps myself? Should I use a recruiter? If so, what does that even entail?

Sorry for the slight rant. I'm getting upset about this process, to be honest.  ::)
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 1892
Re: Need a bit of advice
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 01:53:34 PM »
I think if you've got to the interview stage 4 times in one week, you are kicking butt. 

Are they actually calling and telling you no or are you just not hearing back. If the former, maybe you could ask for feedback from the perspective employers.  If the later, maybe you are too impatient.  It's august, people are on holiday and doing nothing.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 01:57:54 PM »
To use a recruiter, you've got to find a website that advertises your kind of jobs online. Then you apply on line and hopefully they call you and set up an interview . 

I've not had any success sending out CVs cold, but I think something like Linked in might be helpful to reach people actually interested.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »
I think if you've got to the interview stage 4 times in one week, you are kicking butt. 

Are they actually calling and telling you no or are you just not hearing back. If the former, maybe you could ask for feedback from the perspective employers.  If the later, maybe you are too impatient.  It's august, people are on holiday and doing nothing.

No one seems to call anymore. I get emails 9 times out of 10. I actually surprised one person cause I called to ask if my role (I'm super excited about one job) had been filled.

All of the emails have a nice line at the end "We receive numerous applications so we cannot offer individual feedback at this time."

To use a recruiter, you've got to find a website that advertises your kind of jobs online. Then you apply on line and hopefully they call you and set up an interview . 

I've not had any success sending out CVs cold, but I think something like Linked in might be helpful to reach people actually interested.

I do have a LinkedIn, which seems to pick up some applications I can't see on other job boards.

Okay, I had just wondered cause some people haven't had any success with doing it themselves, but I'm hesitant to use a third party like a recruiter for some reason.
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 05:01:49 PM »
I can understand your concern that often recruitment consultants can be untrustworthy, but ultimately they make money when they get you a job that lasts. 

I'm not sure if they even exist in your industry, but they fill %80 of the roles in mine.  You should at least explore the possibility, you can't lose money.  (Don't pay anyone to get you a job, not even a cv writer)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 05:02:54 PM »
Sign up to a few of recruiters!  While direct hiring is gaining speed in the UK as employers realise the cost savings, recruiters still place a HUGE number of roles.

Need a bit of advice
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 05:06:23 PM »
Seems a bit funny that they won't call if you show up for an interview.  Yeah, a callback is not expected for sending in a CV, but if you get suited and booted and actually show up at their office,?you should at least expect a call to say "thanks anyway, it's not you it's us"

If you had 4 actual interviews last week and they just haven't called yet this week, I think you are still in consideration.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:07:40 PM by jimbocz »

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 06:09:32 PM »
Sign up to a few of recruiters!  While direct hiring is gaining speed in the UK as employers realise the cost savings, recruiters still place a HUGE number of roles.

I might just do that. I think I'll give my method a bit longer because I've only been actively, die-hard trying a little bit, and (like jimbocz said) people might just be on holiday or something. But then, I'm definitely trying the recruiter.

Seems a bit funny that they won't call if you show up for an interview.  Yeah, a callback is not expected for sending in a CV, but if you get suited and booted and actually show up at their office,?you should at least expect a call to say "thanks anyway, it's not you it's us"

If you had 4 actual interviews last week and they just haven't called yet this week, I think you are still in consideration.

I think the perception is that emails are just easier. It's just sending out a mass, generic email rather than to take five minutes to call.

Yeah, I'm a bit happy this week with the turnout. If nothing else, I'm getting in loads of walking.

It's just the despondency of it all lol. While I like sleeping in, I also really need something to go and do.

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 06:34:11 PM »
I might just do that. I think I'll give my method a bit longer because I've only been actively, die-hard trying a little bit, and (like jimbocz said) people might just be on holiday or something. But then, I'm definitely trying the recruiter.

I think the perception is that emails are just easier. It's just sending out a mass, generic email rather than to take five minutes to call.

Yeah, I'm a bit happy this week with the turnout. If nothing else, I'm getting in loads of walking.

It's just the despondency of it all lol. While I like sleeping in, I also really need something to go and do.

Lunch one day next week?  I could get off the sofa and venture into Reading one day.  I come with a baby though...

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 10:26:04 PM »

Reasonable people would expect this to be true, but I have had so many interviews that were followed by nothing. No call, no e-mail, not even a text with a rude emoji telling me to F off (which honestly, would be better than nothing). I think it's unconscionably rude and unprofessional, but it seems to happen all the time these days.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 10:32:54 PM »
So I'm applying for specifically communications/media roles (like FT/PT/even paid internships just to get more experience). I have a bit of UK experience and a UK degree. I seem to be getting to the interview stage, and I don't actually get the job. I really don't know where I'm going wrong. I've gone to like four interviews in the past week and a half, all with the same result.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any advice that isn't the generic stuff I've been reading online. Should I not be bothering even sending in apps myself? Should I use a recruiter? If so, what does that even entail?

Sorry for the slight rant. I'm getting upset about this process, to be honest.  ::)
j

4 interviews is really good!
.dont let it get you down. They right role will come along. You aren't in Derby are you? If you are I can tell you one company NOT to work for...
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 01:26:39 PM »
Lunch one day next week?  I could get off the sofa and venture into Reading one day.  I come with a baby though...

Lol can do. I'm okay around babies as long as I don't hold them  ;D

Reasonable people would expect this to be true, but I have had so many interviews that were followed by nothing. No call, no e-mail, not even a text with a rude emoji telling me to F off (which honestly, would be better than nothing). I think it's unconscionably rude and unprofessional, but it seems to happen all the time these days.

I agree. At this point if I don't hear back two weeks after the closing date of the job advert, I just assume that I haven't got it. But I would love someone to actually call and tell me their reasoning.

j

4 interviews is really good!
.dont let it get you down. They right role will come along. You aren't in Derby are you? If you are I can tell you one company NOT to work for...

I do realise that from an outsider perspective. It's just frustrating to travel out to the interviews and then get four almost automatic rejections after the interviews.

No, I'm in Berkshire so nowhere really near Derby at the moment lol  ;D

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 01:32:07 PM »
Lol can do. I'm okay around babies as long as I don't hold them  ;D

I'm the same.  I'm cool with mine but hand me a different one and I have no idea what to do!

I'll message you.

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »
So yeah, a perfect example came in today. I went to this interview that said: "journalism graduates welcome for PR internship". I thought I did really well on the interview. We talked about my history, future, experience, etc. Thought I completely aced it, and I got this email:

Hi XXXX,

Thanks for coming in to see us at XXXXX.

Unfortunately, we’ve decided not to take your application any further. I really enjoyed meeting you and finding out more about you. However, after the round of interviews, I felt that there were other candidates that were more dedicated to entering PR as a career, and who would be a stronger fit for what we need in the team.

Although this will no doubt be disappointing news for you, I feel that you are talented and wish you the very best in your job hunt. Clearly, you have a strong interest in writing and journalism, and as well as magazines and editorial roles, the marketing world is crying out for great in-house copywriters who can help companies create their own comms (blogs, newsletters etc).

I’m confident that the right job for you is just around the corner.

Best wishes,

XXXXX

So yes, bit upset cause I thought I was a good fit; but if they had better candidates, fair enough.

My automatic reaction is: send a nicely worded email just as a "thanks for considering me, but what copywriting positions are you alluding about cause they don't exist/where can I find them"

[smiley=computer.gif]

What I'll actually do: send a nicely worded thank you email and ask for feedback.

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 02:04:34 PM »
I think that you've got something that makes you very attractive to employers on your CV because you are getting interviews.  Keep that momentum going and one of those will pay off.  In my experience, it's always when you are getting the most dejected that the offer comes in. 

Sponsored Links