Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need a bit of advice  (Read 1244 times)

• Liked: 253
Re: Need a bit of advice
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »
I think that you've got something that makes you very attractive to employers on your CV because you are getting interviews.  Keep that momentum going and one of those will pay off.  In my experience, it's always when you are getting the most dejected that the offer comes in.

Cheers jimbocz. I'm hoping that is the case lol
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 223
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 04:17:51 PM »
I agree with everyone else - if you've got four interviews in one week, you're doing something right. It can be a tough road for non-UKCs.

Do you mention anything about your right to work here in your CV or in interviews?

From my experience talking to USCs, there are two approaches:
- Don't mention anything about being a non-UKC and save the right to work convo for after you get the job or if they ask (but they might notice if you list past jobs in the US or graduation from US schools)
- Go out of your way to mention that your visa is sorted and completely unrelated to your job (they don't need to do anything visa-wise, so it's a burden off their shoulders)

I'm not sure which way is better - I think I've done both, but don't remember which way got me my current job.

I do remember that for the job I got and still have (and love!), the HR manager rung me up a few days after my interview and asked about my visa situation. Once I told her my visa is through my husband and unrelated to work, she immediately offered me the job. It can seem like such a non-issue for us since we know we can work, but for HR managers and hiring managers unfamiliar with visas, it can look like a deeper pool than it really is and they'd rather just avoid it. Once they know they've got nothing to worry about, it's smooth sailing.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 60
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 04:29:06 PM »
Agreed with everyone else, Solaire, you're doing well to be getting those interviews! Depending on how many candidates they have, it could take a while before you meet the right match. I know it doesn't make things any easier on you in the meantime, but it sounds like you're doing all right.

- Don't mention anything about being a non-UKC and save the right to work convo for after you get the job or if they ask (but they might notice if you list past jobs in the US or graduation from US schools)
- Go out of your way to mention that your visa is sorted and completely unrelated to your job (they don't need to do anything visa-wise, so it's a burden off their shoulders)

Because I haven't had any UK employment yet, I've been saying it in my cover letter. Otherwise I worry they'll just see US employers and chuck it in the bin. At the one interview I have had, they did ask me if I was legally eligible to work in the UK as part of their checklist questionnaire.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 06:00:57 PM »
I agree with everyone else - if you've got four interviews in one week, you're doing something right. It can be a tough road for non-UKCs.

Do you mention anything about your right to work here in your CV or in interviews?

I'm not sure which way is better - I think I've done both, but don't remember which way got me my current job.

I do remember that for the job I got and still have (and love!), the HR manager rung me up a few days after my interview and asked about my visa situation. Once I told her my visa is through my husband and unrelated to work, she immediately offered me the job. It can seem like such a non-issue for us since we know we can work, but for HR managers and hiring managers unfamiliar with visas, it can look like a deeper pool than it really is and they'd rather just avoid it. Once they know they've got nothing to worry about, it's smooth sailing.

I'm fairly certain most employers notice our American accents... Haha. I always pre-empt the question by telling them at some point in the interview what my visa is if it isn't asked for previously.

Every agency i've worked with needed proof of my visa before they'd even consider me for a job. Therefore their clients also knew I was eligible to work but never understand how marriage visa works as they've only ever hired EU and Brits. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 424
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 06:08:14 PM »
Accent?! I has no accent!! Oh wait.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 06:12:36 PM »
I always have to catch myself... Because in America I don't have an accent... It's just a standard American one. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 08:13:21 PM »
Apart from the agreement that you're clearly doing well to get 4 interviews (go you!) - especially given the fact that it's HARD getting anything in the jounalism field so you're definitely kicking some ass! - I just wanted to suggest maybe calling them? I know they've emailed saying there are so many candidates that they can't offer individual feedback, but I would just try calling them saying that you appreciate that a lot of people have applied and interviewed but you would really appreciate being able to get some feedback so you can know what needs to be changed in future. It can't even hurt to pretend you didn't even see the email or the bit that said that. Worse case scenario, they say they absolutely can't tell you. Best case scenario, one of them gives you feedback that you may be able to use OR they tell you it was just down to the other candidates and it was nothing you could have really done better!

Also, I don't think I knew you were also in Berkshire! :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 09:19:03 PM »

Most of the time, the online app always asks "Do you have the right to work in the UK? Do you need sponsorship?" etc. So it gets explained away in the application itself. Though, I always do get the question during the phone interview about my visa status, so people seem relieved when I say I don't need sponsorship. lol

Also, I don't think I knew you were also in Berkshire! :)

Yeah dude, I'm on the Reading/Wokingham FB group. I just have a phobia about posting pictures of myself on random websites so I usually use my cat as my icon on forums  ;)
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 09:23:57 PM »

Yeah dude, I'm on the Reading/Wokingham FB group. I just have a phobia about posting pictures of myself on random websites so I usually use my cat as my icon on forums  ;)

hahahah I had a feeling you were on there and that I was going to sound totally stupid but it's SO hard to figure out who's who on here sometimes! :D
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2017, 07:46:49 PM »
Got a rejection from the place that I genuinely wanted to work for so bad that it hurts at the moment.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2017, 09:00:08 PM »
Got a rejection from the place that I genuinely wanted to work for so bad that it hurts at the moment.

I am so sorry to learn that you didn't get the job at your chosen place. I can totally understand your disappointment. I say that you need to vent and be upset for a little bit before you go out and try again. It is best to clear your head and find your strength.

My husband lost his job seven weeks ago. He didn't receive any write-ups or warnings and was simply told he was "not up to par" but they gave no examples of what that meant and they got him off the phone within three minutes. We were completely shocked!

He's applied to 52 jobs since then but only two jobs came back to interview him. For the first one (based in the US) he did NINE different interviews over four weeks and even flew him to the head office in Minneapolis (we live in Houston) to do a "live" sales training. It took them another week to tell him that they felt that he needed to have a US equivalent Bachelor's Degree for the role. He is an RAF veteran (where he learned his trade) and has been in his industry for 31 years and has done that specific job for the last seven.

The second one was in the U.K. that he found himself. He's been on six interviews by phone and Skype but they came back and said that they chose to hire someone that's already in the U.K. Also, they were reluctant to go with him since his last U.K. job was in 1997 (he was self-employed from 1997-2002 in the same field).

He's went to the U.K. last month to meet with recruiters and they've found it hard to find people to accept his CV since he's been out of the U.K. for so long and he's English.

I'll admit that the news has completely crushed the man and I gave him three days to feel like crap but we just have to keep moving on. He's feeling more resolute now but it's hard out there. However, things will turn around solaire129. I'm sure of it. Just keep getting in people's faces and don't let up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 09:28:38 PM »
Thank you lorenausuk. I really hope your husband finds something soon. I can't even imagine that type of situation.

I'm now sending off apps left and right with breaks to watch cute cat videos to cheer me up lol.

• Liked: 223
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 10:02:35 PM »

That really sucks.

I had a tough time getting my first job in the UK. I searched for months and eventually took a break to take driving lessons and pass my tests. A bit of a summer break from applying for jobs, if you will.

Once I got back on the horse, a job came up straight away. I'm sure I was in a better mood and more optimistic after taking a break and that must have come across.

It can be stressful looking for work, but be sure you stay sane. Take a little break if you need to, even if it's just a few days or a week. You'll feel refreshed when you go back to applying.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2017, 10:17:35 PM »
That really sucks.

I had a tough time getting my first job in the UK. I searched for months and eventually took a break to take driving lessons and pass my tests. A bit of a summer break from applying for jobs, if you will.

Once I got back on the horse, a job came up straight away. I'm sure I was in a better mood and more optimistic after taking a break and that must have come across.

It can be stressful looking for work, but be sure you stay sane. Take a little break if you need to, even if it's just a few days or a week. You'll feel refreshed when you go back to applying.
I'm glad you've found something after a break. It's good to hear people actually do get jobs here lol

I've tried to keep my weekends free of the manic search, but this kind of came as a surprise because I didn't expect to hear anything.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab