Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Autumn/Fall = PSL  (Read 550 times)

• Liked: 7
Autumn/Fall = PSL
« on: August 18, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
Anyone else feel like it feels like Autumn outside and looking forward to pretty coloured leaves, hoodies, Halloween, and PSL?! I wonder when that comes out here?

• Liked: 1327
Re: Autumn/Fall = PSL
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »
Anyone else feel like it feels like Autumn outside and looking forward to pretty coloured leaves, hoodies, Halloween, and PSL?! I wonder when that comes out here?

Oh, dear.  :(  The fall colours will happen because Nature does her part.  As for the rest...?  *headshake*
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »
Oh, dear.  :(  The fall colours will happen because Nature does her part.  As for the rest...?  *headshake*

oh yes! I will wear my hoodies, I will watch all my favourite scary movies, we decorate the house, get the candy ready, and I unapologetically walk my hoodie'd self to starbucks for my psl! hahahahaha! I loooooooooooooooooove Autumn lol!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 02:55:18 PM »

I can always smell Autumn, we're not there yet where I am!  :)

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 02:57:23 PM »

Good point. It doesn't particularly smell like Autumn. It just kinda feels like it to me. It's not bright outside before 5am anymore (I have a toddler, who apparently wakes up with the sun hahaha). Maybe I'm 'too keen' (as I'm almost always told lol)

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 03:03:50 PM »

I got a hint of it last week.  I had mixed feelings.  I grew up in the Central Valley in California, but my family settled in Arkansas after my father retired from the miltary.  So I moved over here from Arkansas, where summer temps were in the 90s-100s for about four solid months, and where Autumn was a welcome relief.  It had become my favourite season.  But here, where summer feels like Spring, I feel like I missed out.

Still, I get that sense of excitement at the first whiff of Autumn in the air.  It reminds me of the start of the new school year in California, the crunch of leaves on the ground, the warmth inside against the chilly air outside, bonfires on the 'farm' (though we had those in the summer, too), the whole wind-up to Christmas...

But i shouldn't smell this in the first half of August!   >:(

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 03:16:29 PM »
So I moved over here from Arkansas, where summer temps were in the 90s-100s for about four solid months, and where Autumn was a welcome relief.  It had become my favourite season.  But here, where summer feels like Spring, I feel like I missed out.

I've spent several summers (well, 2-4 week summer holidays) in Arkansas over the last 20+ years, because my aunt lives there - I love the heat :). I'm actually flying out to Little Rock in 3 weeks - hoping for nice September temperatures :).

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 03:54:49 PM »
I'm from Texas, so I'm a pretty seasoned Summer sufferer haha! I've welcomed this 'Summer' here. Except for those heat waves. While I didn't find it all that hot, it did become miserable at work and at home since there's no AC anywhere where I'm at. I work at a hospital and there was no AC here either! Then it became insufferable, particularly at night. I used to LOVE Summer, but after having my first born, I seem to run hotter now and I just don't like Summer as much. I much prefer Autumn now.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 04:05:31 PM »
I've spent several summers (well, 2-4 week summer holidays) in Arkansas over the last 20+ years, because my aunt lives there - I love the heat :). I'm actually flying out to Little Rock in 3 weeks - hoping for nice September temperatures :).

Oh!  I'm trying to decide if there's any place I want to send you, like my own personal avatar.  ;)

My family are up in Searcy, about 45 minutes northeast of Little Rock, but I frequently went down to LR/NLR to shop or to dine out.  And, back when my career was in full swing, I worked in Little Rock, of course.

My family's 'farm' (not-a-farm, because nobody's grown anything there since the 1970s) is a bit further north, still, going up 167 toward Batesville.  I had some amazing visits there on summer holidays as a child.  Tami's post-fire adventure reminded me of it.

I'm from Texas, so I'm a pretty seasoned Summer sufferer haha! I've welcomed this 'Summer' here. Except for those heat waves. While I didn't find it all that hot, it did become miserable at work and at home since there's no AC anywhere where I'm at. I work at a hospital and there was no AC here either! Then it became insufferable, particularly at night. I used to LOVE Summer, but after having my first born, I seem to run hotter now and I just don't like Summer as much. I much prefer Autumn now.

I also lived in San Antonio in the mid-to-late-80s... yes, you know heat, too.  It's actually very similar (possibly slightly less humid?) to where my family live in Arkansas.  After California's dry heat, it was funny the first time we went to a playground, and I tried to go down a slide but stuck to it.  I learned not to let my skin come in direct contact with the slide's surface (also, do not sit on anything exposed to the sun!).

The lack of AC is the only 'problem' with hot weather over here.  I love the weather when I'm out in it, but I also want to be able to come in and have relief from it.  At least it's not an issue for me for very long here!  :P

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 04:28:10 PM »
Oh!  I'm trying to decide if there's any place I want to send you, like my own personal avatar.  ;)

My family are up in Searcy, about 45 minutes northeast of Little Rock, but I frequently went down to LR/NLR to shop or to dine out.  And, back when my career was in full swing, I worked in Little Rock, of course.

Lol :).

My aunt and her best friend moved to Little Rock in the late 70s to work at Arkansas Children's Hospital (they were advertising for British nurses)... she's been there ever since and is now a dual-citizen. We've done some travelling around the state, but I don't think I've been to Searcy specifically.

I also lived in San Antonio in the mid-to-late-80s... yes, you know heat, too.  It's actually very similar (possibly slightly less humid?) to where my family live in Arkansas.  After California's dry heat, it was funny the first time we went to a playground, and I tried to go down a slide but stuck to it.  I learned not to let my skin come in direct contact with the slide's surface (also, do not sit on anything exposed to the sun!).

Lol :). I've also lived in Albuquerque, NM... still hot, but a completely different heat :P.

The lack of AC is the only 'problem' with hot weather over here.  I love the weather when I'm out in it, but I also want to be able to come in and have relief from it.  At least it's not an issue for me for very long here!  :P

Yeah, definitely - back in June when we had 30+ degrees, it was almost unbearable :(.

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 04:51:07 PM »
Lol :).

My aunt and her best friend moved to Little Rock in the late 70s to work at Arkansas Children's Hospital (they were advertising for British nurses)... she's been there ever since and is now a dual-citizen. We've done some travelling around the state, but I don't think I've been to Searcy specifically.

Lol :). I've also lived in Albuquerque, NM... still hot, but a completely different heat :P.

Yeah, definitely - back in June when we had 30+ degrees, it was almost unbearable :(.

I'm not sure Searcy is worth the drive just to see it.  In December, Harding University do some really nice Christmas lights in a green space in the middle of their campus.  But any other time of year, it's just typical "Central Arkansas"... nothing special to drive up there for.

Albuquerque used to be my overnight stop when I'd drive from Searcy to LA... that is, 'til I developed HAPE on a stop and it nearly killed me.  I spent the next month trying to clear my lungs.  After that experience, I learned to check the elevation of where I'm staying (2000ft is my limit for overnight stays or for any exerting activities like walking or carrying luggage, 8000ft is my limit for just-passing-through -- and I can't do anything exerting at all... I had tunnel vision walking from my car to the toilets at the gas station in Buford, MT!).  But, yeah... Albuquerque's dry heat!  I didn't even notice that it was hot out.

There were two days in June this year when I got out my folding chair and just chased the shade around our back garden.  It was nice, as long as I kept up with the shade and kept drinking fluids.  But, yeah... it actually got hot!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:53:45 PM by jfkimberly »

• Liked: 585
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 06:46:30 PM »
>>shudder<<
Have not seen/heard the names 'Searcy' and 'Harding University' in decades!
The shudder comes from having been brought up in the Church of Christ, where Harding University is one of the 'approved' universities that the faithful and/or their children are 'allowed' to attend.  I had Harding rammed down my throat a lot in my teens, until they realised I wasn't going to be university material, full stop.

I also remember a family vacation to Arkansas to visit relatives in the Arkansas towns (villages?) of Rosebud and Romance.  My first and only encounter with ticks and 'chiggers'.   

• Liked: 111
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 07:01:17 PM »

I lived in Houston from ages 20-25 and I can honestly say that the heat and humidity never bothered me then. That's why living in England from ages 25-34 were too freaking cold for me. But I'm 47 now and due to my age, I cannot stand the Houston heat! I'm simply miserable and cannot cool down when I'm out and I still have YEARS to go until those pesky female symptoms subside. Hence, why I'm more than happy to move back to England in a few years time. I'm done with 10 months of summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 07:04:36 PM »
I lived in Houston from ages 20-25 and I can honestly say that the heat and humidity never bothered me then. That's why living in England from ages 25-34 were too freaking cold for me. But I'm 47 now and due to my age, I cannot stand the Houston heat! I'm simply miserable and cannot cool down when I'm out and I still have YEARS to go until those pesky female symptoms subside. Hence, why I'm more than happy to move back to England in a few years time. I'm done with 10 months of summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't entered that stage of life and I know I'm not into heat.  I spent my first 30ish years of life in Florida and would insist that I LOVED heat and humidity.  My move to Colorado showed me what seasons were all about - much preferred it.

I'm a 70 and sunny kind of girl.   ;D

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 09:20:42 PM »
>>shudder<<
Have not seen/heard the names 'Searcy' and 'Harding University' in decades!
The shudder comes from having been brought up in the Church of Christ, where Harding University is one of the 'approved' universities that the faithful and/or their children are 'allowed' to attend.  I had Harding rammed down my throat a lot in my teens, until they realised I wasn't going to be university material, full stop.

I also remember a family vacation to Arkansas to visit relatives in the Arkansas towns (villages?) of Rosebud and Romance.  My first and only encounter with ticks and 'chiggers'.

Oh my gawd, imagine living in the town basically ruled by Harding University!  I am sure it's a fine institution that offers a quality education in selected subjects.  But I wouldn't put much stock in their science department.  :P

My family are on the westside, yo! of Searcy, and I used to drive out 36 to take a "short cut" in my commute to UCA.

Do you remember that old dog food advert for Kibbles 'n bits?  It's just a dog trotting along panting, and a voiceover says, "Kibbles 'n bits, kibbles 'b bits, I'm gonna get me some kibbles 'n bits!"  I changed it to "Chiggers 'n ticks!" every time I was preparing to go out to the 'farm'.   Yeah.  I hate chiggers.  I can find ticks and pull them off.  But chiggers just turned my ankles into a disaster area.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab