Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Colonoscopy, it's a breeze  (Read 1596 times)

• Liked: 41
Colonoscopy, it's a breeze
« on: August 18, 2017, 06:16:25 PM »
I just wanted to post something on here in case anybody has one upcoming and is panicky about it like I was. I was almost in tears when I went in today.

Prep day is pretty much a day spent making friends with your bathroom. For me, it was tiring and annoying in having to spend a significant part of the day bog bound.  I didn't find the drink too disgusting though, kinda like flat lemonade soda.

Day of the procedure (today) I went in to my local NHS hospital after having been personally assured by my Dr that he would get me through this gently and with dignity. Backstory is he wanted me to do this a lot earlier but I chickened out months ago. 

On arrival, I was admitted by a senior nurse who checked all my details, my consent form and spent time reassuring me and answering my many panicked questions. Next it was change into the hospital gown and straight through into the procedure room where my Dr and his team were waiting. They casually introduced themselves on first name terms and we agreed to play some music through the stereo to help (it really did help a lot). Quick check of final details and a they had me sedated and high on fentanyl, I didn't even notice the scope for a while. I think I must have chatted about so many topics and probably told my life story in there but we were laughing and joking all the way through. It was no where near as bigger deal as I thought it would be.

Pain wise, at times there was some when air was put in. I was able to communicate this clearly to my Dr who adjusted what he was doing quickly and the 'pain' went away as quick as it came.

Afterwards, I got over the sedation quickly and was chatting to the nurses in a lovely sunny room with the radio on, eating cookies and sipping tea. They let me go after about an hour and I got to see the nurse who told me what my issues were.

If you're as worried as I was, don't be; it was really a breeze.

UKC married to USC 2012.
USC is on FLR(M) - 1 year to go to ILR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
Re: Colonoscopy, it's a breeze
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 06:21:54 PM »
Great to hear!  I've always heard the prep is by far the worst bit.  My dad watches his on a screen but he loves medical stuff (he designed medical devices).  I can't imagine watching!!! 

We all get that way about things (I think).  In my last pregnancy, they kept wanting to admit me and I kept refusing.  I had high blood pressure and I knew it would be better at home sitting on the sofa under a pile of purring cats than it would ever be in a shared hospital ward.   ;)

I hope you get some quick answers and a good result from your test!

Colonoscopy, it's a breeze
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 08:22:49 PM »
Hehe yeah I didn't watch the inflight video, let's just say it wasn't to my tastes!  I got my answers and I've got a diagnosis I can now deal with so all good.

UKC married to USC 2012.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 09:14:21 PM »
Day of the procedure (today) I went in to my local NHS hospital after having been personally assured by my Dr that he would get me through this gently and with dignity. Backstory is he wanted me to do this a lot earlier but I chickened out months ago. 

Good post, and I appreciate it as I get older and closer to the recommended age for them.

But... does nobody else find the word "backstory" hilarious in this context?  No?  Just me?  Okay, then.  *slinks away*   :P
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 08:45:06 AM »
Hehe yeah I didn't watch the inflight video, let's just say it wasn't to my tastes!  I got my answers and I've got a diagnosis I can now deal with so all good.

UKC married to USC 2012.

Fantastic!

• Liked: 223
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 11:03:08 AM »
But... does nobody else find the word "backstory" hilarious in this context?  No?  Just me?  Okay, then.  *slinks away*   :P

I was just about to comment on that, too, but I didn't want to come across as an ass.  [smiley=bootyshake.gif]

Glad you've got this behind you, Dave. It's good to hear it's not as shitty as it seems like it would be. ;)

Respectfully, though, thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully it will make other less worried about getting checked out.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 09:24:02 PM »
Haha I hadn't even noticed that word!  I'm just happy if it helps others who were like me and so nervous. If you need it, get it done.

UKC married to USC 2012.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 04:47:15 AM »
Just a word to the wise, if you have a lot of allergies,  your experience may not be as "simple". I learned the hard way I'm incredibly allergic to all of the preps so I'm not sure what I'll do the next time. :(

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 07:31:55 AM »
Oh wow, that's unfortunate.  I doubt there's a lot they can do about that. Maybe the camera pill thing but don't think it can do biopsies or remove anything.

UKC married to USC 2012.

• Liked: 672
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 09:28:40 AM »
Last one of these I had was in the states. The prep was... well, the prep. Instant diet, lost a few pounds.  ::)

They said it would be pain free. It definitely was not. I was heavily sedated and the pain broke through, and they had to give me more sedation. I pretty much remember the conversations going on in the room up to that point. (But I tend to be that way with anesthesia.)   

Afterwards, they said I should expect to be up and around in an hour.  Four hours later my daughter was having to nudge me periodically as I was on the gurney, as I'd stop breathing and the alarms would go off. Occasionally a nurse would show up to check, and after a few episodes she just told the daughter to nudge me if I stopped breathing. That tended to get me going again. 

After six hours of that I started being more aware and was able to talk, so they sent me home with my daughter driving the car. Apparently I passed out in the car a few times and she had to shove me to get me to breathe.  Went home, slept for two days. Test was negative.  I'm rather leery of ever having that done again.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 06:36:24 PM »
Afterwards, they said I should expect to be up and around in an hour.  Four hours later my daughter was having to nudge me periodically as I was on the gurney, as I'd stop breathing and the alarms would go off. Occasionally a nurse would show up to check, and after a few episodes she just told the daughter to nudge me if I stopped breathing. That tended to get me going again. 

Wow! That means they really messed up with the anesthesia side of things. If you ever need one again (or any "twilight sedation" procedure) make sure you mention this in detail to the anesthesiologist. They likely used the wrong meds for you based on your description of it commonly being a problem with anesthesia.  (I've woken up in surgery so I'm also well versed in that :( :( )

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 11:47:34 PM »
Nan, that's not surprising that you're weary of undergoing it again in your case. I was awake enough to feel pain and to hold a nonsensical conversation with the staff during the procedure but I feel like the drugs did a good job with me and really took the edge off.  Sorry to hear you had a very different time of it.

UKC married to USC 2012.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 09:14:40 AM »
Dave, thanks for sharing. It helps to share when something isn't too bad medical procedure wise as it helps people realise that things aren't usually as bad as we make them up to be. And you may help someone make the decision to go and do it. 

I am another one who likes watching the screen ,but I've got a Master's Degree in Biomedical Engineering, so I'm fascinated by it all. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 08:31:16 PM »
Dave, thanks for sharing. It helps to share when something isn't too bad medical procedure wise as it helps people realise that things aren't usually as bad as we make them up to be. And you may help someone make the decision to go and do it. 

I am another one who likes watching the screen ,but I've got a Master's Degree in Biomedical Engineering, so I'm fascinated by it all.

I'm just happy if I can reassure someone who was like me and so anxious that I almost cancelled a 2nd time. This procedure is a lifesaving test that can detect so many things and in some cases remove polyps entirely.

I found it fascinating looking at the pictures afterwards but I didn't want to watch it during! I can totally understand the curiosity though from your experience.

UKC married to USC 2012.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab