Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Next steps after spouse visa and prepping for FLR  (Read 1503 times)

• Liked: 7
Next steps after spouse visa and prepping for FLR
« on: August 18, 2017, 06:37:28 PM »
Hi Guys,

Firstly I wanted to thank you all for all the help in applying for the Spouse visa.

I just moved to the UK after getting my spouse visa last month. I picked up my resident permit and now slowly adjusting to the UK.

Since we had to go through so much in preparing for the spouse visa, we want to be prepared this time for the FLR in 2.5 years.

It would be really helpful if you guys can suggest us that what are the next steps that we have to do for me to settle here in terms of national insurance, some sort of ID (as I don't drive) and any other steps we need to take in preparation for the FLR.

Help would greatly be appreciated!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Next steps after spouse visa and prepping for FLR
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 07:35:57 PM »
Hi Guys,

Firstly I wanted to thank you all for all the help in applying for the Spouse visa.

I just moved to the UK after getting my spouse visa last month. I picked up my resident permit and now slowly adjusting to the UK.

Since we had to go through so much in preparing for the spouse visa, we want to be prepared this time for the FLR in 2.5 years.

It would be really helpful if you guys can suggest us that what are the next steps that we have to do for me to settle here in terms of national insurance, some sort of ID (as I don't drive) and any other steps we need to take in preparation for the FLR.

Help would greatly be appreciated!

You're going to need to collect official mail in both of your names so get yours on the council tax/utilities as soon as possible. Open a bank account and turn paper statements on for everything!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
You can apply for a provisional license to use as ID even if you don't intend to drive.  :)

• Liked: 253
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 09:31:47 PM »
National Insurance: call the number listed on their website (just Google 'how to apply for a National Insurance Number') and answer their questions. They will send you paperwork to fill out.

Other things to do:

-Get your name on all the bills (council tax, water, electric, etc.)
-Get a bank account, don't go paperless
-Get your partner's bank to mail in statements
-If you don't have passport-sized photos on hand, go get some of you and your partner

Things to consider:

Luckily, my husband still gets paper payslips every month, but some people don't (get electronic copies instead) so that would be something to consider now.

Also for ID, you can just use your passport. I mean I do. Or like larrabee said, you can just apply for a provisional license.
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 449
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 09:53:41 PM »
National Insurance: call the number listed on their website (just Google 'how to apply for a National Insurance Number') and answer their questions. They will send you paperwork to fill out.

Other things to do:

-If you don't have passport-sized photos on hand, go get some of you and your partner

Things to consider:

Luckily, my husband still gets paper payslips every month, but some people don't (get electronic copies instead) so that would be something to consider now.

Also for ID, you can just use your passport. I mean I do. Or like larrabee said, you can just apply for a provisional license.

Yes we just did all this too.

For provisional licence you have to send your original BRP  but for National Insurance number you just have to send the form with copies of passport including entry clearance and other stamps and copy of both sides of BRP. We just sent both these off on Monday, took about a week after Beth arrived to get these two forms sent to us to send off. Getting Beth's name on council tax quickly helped with bank and possibly helped with mobile phone account (we had to pay refundable deposit due to not being able to do credit check for her phone account with paper statements in her name).
Met Nov 2015
Married 11 April 17
Online visa app 24 April 2017 (Priority)
Biometrics 5th May 2017
App tracked and received Sheffiled 10th May 2017
Email confirming receipt (of online application) 25th May 2017
Email asking for passport, appendix 2 etc (which has all been sent) 30th May 2017 (Discovered solicitor may have advised to send to wrong processing centre address - letters, and phone calls - still unclear).
Confirmed receipt of docs 17th July
Return label requested and emailed 17th July
Decision email 26th July
Visa 28th July

• Liked: 7
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 12:43:39 AM »
Thanks All,

So I am living with me husband at his mothers house for now. So all the utilities and council tax bill are in his mothers name. We were considering just to switch the water line to a joint account of mine and my husbands.

Is that enough?

I opened an account with HSBC but it's a basic one. They couldn't open a regular current account for me as I don't have a solid proof of address and they have to wait 6 months before changing from basic to regular. So they told me to get a solid proof of address by then and change the account to a regular account so that me and my husband can have joint bank accounts. Apparently you can't have a joint bank account at HSBC if you only have a basic account.

Is that normal?

So right now, we are looking to get me a provisional drivers license and change the water bill to both our names. For ID and proof of address.

And just out of curiosity, I thought I didn't have access to public recourse , then would I need or even have a national insurance number?

Thanks,
Nazzy

Other things to do:

Things to consider:

• Liked: 3589
Next steps after spouse visa and prepping for FLR
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 03:22:14 AM »
Thanks All,

So I am living with me husband at his mothers house for now. So all the utilities and council tax bill are in his mothers name. We were considering just to switch the water line to a joint account of mine and my husbands.

Is that enough?

For FLR(M), you'll need 6 pieces of official mail in each name, from at least 3 different sources, addressed to both of you at the same address as each other, spread evenly over the period.

So, the water bill can be 1 source, but you'll need at least 2 more. Bank statements can be used, so that can be the 2nd source.

Other than that, you can use things like Council Tax bills, electricity bills, gas bills, phone bills, TV licence, tenancy agreements, and letters from HMRC, the NHS, DVLA etc.

I opened an account with HSBC but it's a basic one. They couldn't open a regular current account for me as I don't have a solid proof of address and they have to wait 6 months before changing from basic to regular. So they told me to get a solid proof of address by then and change the account to a regular account so that me and my husband can have joint bank accounts. Apparently you can't have a joint bank account at HSBC if you only have a basic account.

Is that normal?

No idea, to be honest. However, you don't have to have a joint account. You can always just use separate account statements for the FLR(M) evidence.

And just out of curiosity, I thought I didn't have access to public recourse , then would I need or even have a national insurance number?

Your National Insurance number is used to calculate how much income tax you have to pay if you are working in the UK. If you want to work, you need to have one, to make sure you are paying the right taxes and National Insurance contributions. Anyone aged over 16 with the right to work in the UK can apply for one.

Benefits that are based on National Insurance contributions are not considered public funds and you will be entitled to claim them (things like pension, maternity leave, Jobseeker's Allowance etc.).

See here for what is and is not considered public funds for immigration purposes:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds--2/public-funds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:23:28 AM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 210
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 09:04:20 PM »
Echoing advice to get a provisional driving license. Even if you never drive, it's one more piece of ID.

Have you gotten registered with your local GP? You'll have doctor appointments over the next two and a half years. Save the official letters they send about appointments, referrals, etc.

The FLR(M) application form is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/608678/FLR_M_-04-17.pdf

We currently have a question about children, but I'll ask that in a separate thread. Just be aware that if you have children before you apply for FLR(M), you'll need to provide (a lot of) paperwork for them as well.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

Sponsored Links