Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spicey Recipies - firecracker carrots  (Read 655 times)

• Liked: 680
Spicey Recipies - firecracker carrots
« on: August 20, 2017, 02:15:47 PM »
Sorry, someone asked for the recipe for Firecracker Carrots, and I can't find that sting anymore so I'll put it here....

1/2 pound mini carrots
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon chili flakes
2 dried chilies - *

* Use something like scotch bonnet. (It needs to be a really hot pepper, not Anaheim or mild Jalepeno that you find on pizzas here in the UK. If you can find some proper, hot Jalepenos, they're fine and the seeds inside hold most of the heat, so don't scrape them out or anything. I would steer clear of Ghost Peppers, unless you have life insurance.) You could also use fresh chili, but the original recipe calls for dried.

Place everything but the peppers and the carrots in a non-reactive pot and bring it up to boiling. Keep at a boil for 4 or 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Put whole mini carrots (or quartered full size, up to you as long as they fit) into a glass jar. Add the peppers and then carefully pour the hot liquid on to cover the carrots.  Set aside. When cool, seal the jar and refrigerate. Ready to eat in about 3 days - the longer from bottling, the hotter they get.

Enjoy.

• Liked: 770
Re: Spicey Recipies - firecracker carrots
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »
Oh, by the way,  did you see someone post that you can get molasses at Holland and Barretts?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 05:32:01 PM »
I did not, so thanks!  The last time I looked there they only had blackstrap, but we'll be over by them again this week and I'll double-check.

If not I can get Vitacost to send it over from the States when they give us another discount - usually we get one every few months if we don't make any orders. They give us like $30 off $100 spent, which just about covers the shipping.   ;D

• Liked: 770
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 06:17:50 PM »
I did not, so thanks!  The last time I looked there they only had blackstrap, but we'll be over by them again this week and I'll double-check.

If not I can get Vitacost to send it over from the States when they give us another discount - usually we get one every few months if we don't make any orders. They give us like $30 off $100 spent, which just about covers the shipping.   ;D
Real Foods in Edinburgh has it if you are going to be over that way anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 07:39:05 AM »
Thanks - we may be. There's an exhibit at the museum I'd like to see.   

But I also went to Holland and Barrett's web page and it looks like they have just straight molasses, and daughter says that you can order and have it go for pickup at the store, so I might give that a try.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »
Sorry, someone asked for the recipe for Firecracker Carrots, and I can't find that sting anymore so I'll put it here....

1/2 pound mini carrots
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon chili flakes
2 dried chilies - *

* Use something like scotch bonnet. (It needs to be a really hot pepper, not Anaheim or mild Jalepeno that you find on pizzas here in the UK. If you can find some proper, hot Jalepenos, they're fine and the seeds inside hold most of the heat, so don't scrape them out or anything. I would steer clear of Ghost Peppers, unless you have life insurance.) You could also use fresh chili, but the original recipe calls for dried.

Place everything but the peppers and the carrots in a non-reactive pot and bring it up to boiling. Keep at a boil for 4 or 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Put whole mini carrots (or quartered full size, up to you as long as they fit) into a glass jar. Add the peppers and then carefully pour the hot liquid on to cover the carrots.  Set aside. When cool, seal the jar and refrigerate. Ready to eat in about 3 days - the longer from bottling, the hotter they get.

Enjoy.

Thanks, Nan!  I don't remember which thread it was, but you offered to share the recipe for me when I was looking for pickled okra.  Do you know how long you can keep them in the 'fridge?  I mean, they're sitting in vinegar and sugar, so they should be pretty well preserved, right?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 08:11:33 AM »
I think if it's a good, cold fridge you've got several weeks. I have made these as a "half recipe", but for parties, so they've never been around that long... there's always someone who dared someone to "eat just one" and then they tended to disappear. I can't manage anything much hotter than Taco Bell, myself.  ;D  Yeah, the vinegar should kill most of the microbes, I'd think.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab