Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Huge salary gap?  (Read 3980 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Huge salary gap?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »
I'll do it for a thousand a day!  What is it?  Accounting?

Nope a project director with a super hard to find security clearance.  A requirement for the contract.  He's not very good either...

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2017, 03:04:53 PM »
We have a contractor at work who gets £1,750 A DAY.  I seriously want to train in his field.  He can set the insane rate as we can't find anyone else who meets the requirements!

Two days pays for priority ILR.  A week pays for all my visas.  *grumble*
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 170
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2017, 03:27:25 PM »
We have a contractor at work who gets £1,750 A DAY.  I seriously want to train in his field.  He can set the insane rate as we can't find anyone else who meets the requirements!

I am a teacher on a GOOD wage. I earn about 100£ a day...

I sometimes question my life choices!

I never really 'got' how people got high paying jobs or what fields would be interesting to go into. So I literally became a teacher because I a) enjoyed working with young people (I've since learned better) and I love my subject, b) it might pay some bills, c) it allowed me to stay in the UK and d) I didn't have a better plan.
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2017, 03:54:40 PM »
You guys shouldn't compare the daily rate of a contract with a salary.  They aren't the same thing.  Although that daily rate borders on the obscene, it does not all go straight into the pocket of Mr Lucky.  The company must pay all normal benefits, like sick pay and holiday and pensions out of that, as well as taxes.  Most importantly, Mr Lucky is not going to be able to work every day, there may be months in between contracts.  That high rate is supposed to support him when the contract ends. 

• Liked: 36
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2017, 01:04:01 PM »
Hi,

A large contributory factor into 'how people manage' is that in general, the UK population has relatively large amounts of unsecured debts. Credit cards, store cards, bank loans etc are extremely common amongst the general populations finances.

The UK's workforce of around 28-31 million people only has around 9-11% of them in the higher (40%) tax bracket and an even smaller number (I think less than a million) earning the 'additional' rate that applies over £150K earnings.

The 90% or so on the basic rate earn less than £45K and so yes, in some places you really will see adverts for full time jobs just over £10K.

Again out of the total workforce, including higher rate taxpayers, around 16 million of them are what's recently become more well known to say 'Working Poor' or 'JAMs' - Just About Managing. Given the high cost of living in the UK, these people fall into the catagory of having full time jobs but after all their mandatory expenses each month are left with less than £100 disposable income. That's a shocking figure and a significant proportion of these people will then rely on borrowing.

It's not a 'good' scenario overall in my opinion, especially given the ranking that the UK is a G8 member nation. After the last big economic crisis in 2008, this still highlights that the UK loves to rack up massive debts in order to rub shoulders with the other big nations on the world stage. It's when things need to be paid back does then the UK realize it's in the proverbial 'poop'.

Lastly, the highest paid, full time jobs I've ever seen were advertised at...  £5000/7500 .....

...  Per HOUR!! They were ultra specialized roles within the legal sector.

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• Liked: 718
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2017, 02:42:46 PM »
Many households get along because they have more than one earner contributing.  According to the Office Of National Statistics the median Gross Disposable Household Income* for 2015 was as follows:

United K.   £19,106              
England   £19,447          
Wales   £16,341           
Scotland   £18,315              
N. Ireland   £15,913

*Gross disposable household income
The amount of money that all of the individuals in the household sector have available for spending or saving after income distribution measures (for example, taxes, social contributions and benefits) have taken effect.       
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 56
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »
You guys shouldn't compare the daily rate of a contract with a salary.  They aren't the same thing.  Although that daily rate borders on the obscene, it does not all go straight into the pocket of Mr Lucky.  The company must pay all normal benefits, like sick pay and holiday and pensions out of that, as well as taxes.  Most importantly, Mr Lucky is not going to be able to work every day, there may be months in between contracts.  That high rate is supposed to support him when the contract ends.

This is true - my buddy the Scottish contractor went a good 9 months without a contract the other year and now worries about getting renewed every 6 months (although he just got another renewal so thats 18 months on day rate, which isnt too shabby). Also, companies can cancel the contract typically with a week or months notice, no?

So, its swings and roundabouts I guess. I wouldn't mind if Other Half went contract if I am sat in a perm role but I would hate to have both of us on day rate, too much risk.

As for the guy with the hard to find security clearance - guess he figured out early that a huge barrier like that would make the cash even if his skills weren't that great. But man that has to be infuriating seeing that incompetence getting that much money.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2017, 10:37:43 AM »

This is true - my buddy the Scottish contractor went a good 9 months without a contract the other year and now worries about getting renewed every 6 months (although he just got another renewal so thats 18 months on day rate, which isnt too shabby). Also, companies can cancel the contract typically with a week or months notice, no?

So, its swings and roundabouts I guess. I wouldn't mind if Other Half went contract if I am sat in a perm role but I would hate to have both of us on day rate, too much risk.

As for the guy with the hard to find security clearance - guess he figured out early that a huge barrier like that would make the cash even if his skills weren't that great. But man that has to be infuriating seeing that incompetence getting that much money.

I suppose it's a bit like supply teaching, but because schools are so poor these days they can't afford supply... which is paid only marginally more than me (about £20 a day and they can't work in the holidays). I would love to think that because I teach a 'shortage' subject I could command more... but just because I am skilled and there aren't all that many people who do what I do (think shortage occupation list?), there just isn't money in education... which is sad. Without teachers, how would that guy have ever learned enough to get that massively stupid day rate?

But I feel like this is a discussion for a teacher forum where everyone would side with me....

Moving swiftly on...
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
Without teachers, how would that guy have ever learned enough to get that massively stupid day rate?

But I feel like this is a discussion for a teacher forum where everyone would side with me....

Moving swiftly on...

I don't think anyone here would disagree with that!  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2017, 01:17:14 PM »
I suppose it's a bit like supply teaching, but because schools are so poor these days they can't afford supply... which is paid only marginally more than me (about £20 a day and they can't work in the holidays). I would love to think that because I teach a 'shortage' subject I could command more... but just because I am skilled and there aren't all that many people who do what I do (think shortage occupation list?), there just isn't money in education... which is sad. Without teachers, how would that guy have ever learned enough to get that massively stupid day rate?

Moving swiftly on...

Teachers are grossly underpaid everywhere, but it seems to be an even bigger problem in the UK. :( Definitely no disagreements with that!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2017, 01:24:56 PM »

Moving swiftly on...

Of course!!  Teachers keep us in a successful economy!

• Liked: 36
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2017, 02:43:33 PM »
Hi,

Thanks Durhamlad, I should've included that when families who have more than one person earning, a collective household income usually means a better standard of living. That said, a significant proportion of such household arrangements don't have that and have debt levels which are way too high still.

I do find it utterly shocking that the UK pays so 'comparitively' little for the public sector. Teachers (I have some in our extended family), Firefighters, Police. I think the most shocking is Nurse's pay levels, it's embarassingly low in my opinion. There's plenty of other public sector jobs which I think are similarly bad/low.

On top of that embarassing factor, I find it utterly deplorable and disgusting that around the country, there's people in the public sector at councils who are paid more than the prime minister. These people granted are running a council, but why do they get significantly more pay than the highest public office in the country? heads of councils and even sub divisions of councils get paid hundreds of thousands a year over many different area councils, again it's embarassing.

I've mentioned it previously (apologies if I sound like a broken record!) but I've had my own close family relatives leave the UK after a few years and mainly due to the levels of pay they could achieve as their careers progressed. Two (husband and wife) of them were highly experienced and qualified Doctors (Anesthetist & pathologist) at the Consultant level. They now reside in the US at quadruple the salary and now, after just 4/5 years, mortgage free. When the wife of the pair was here, the NHS asked her to work with zero pay, just to get 'UK NHS work experience'. That and a few other factors led to their decision to quit here and move to the US. The UK 'lost' two highly experienced and required staff. If they'd had stayed perhaps, then I think right now they'd want to leave with the added layer of stupidness that is the whole immigration / racist attitudes which has become more publicly visible in the last few years.

The UK needs skilled, experienced and talented people to come to work and live here, a lot of areas and sectors desperately need them. I have nothing but respect for teachers, medical staff, police, nurses, firefighters and other public sector workers, but the way the UK is going it looks like many of these sectors will suffer quite significantly. This is a USA>UK orientated forum and along with other similar resources, many Americans do look to think of moving over, I really do wish the UK's 'attitude' and mindset would be much more welcoming, as it used to be a few years ago. A few days ago, a caller into a host's radio show on LBC was typically indicative of many of the UK's population. A woman ringing in saying she doesnt like foreign languages spoken in public, but that she'd just about accepted that Polish is now 'ok' and that she doesn't 'now' mind Polish and other eastern European people as they were more like English people, but that she now has a problem with 'those Indians and Africans'. Prize example of an outright racist!

Apologies for the slight tangent, but it's all 'relevant'. More and more people who previously would have liked to have shortlisted the UK to move to are crossing it off their list. These are mainly skilled and experienced people that the 'leave' voters say they don't mind coming into the country!

On the flipside, the amount of people who call into LBC and various hosts who say that Labour should come into power and that Mr Corbyn will introduce the £10 or £15/hour minimum rate for all businesses is scary. Whilst I fully agree that the minimum wage and living wage in specific areas should be analysed better and for much more appropriate pay scales to be worked out, there's no way the vast majority of businesses could afford to pay £10/hr for non skilled work without raising prices for the goods/services they sell. When those callers are told that, it's the usual 'bury head in sand' and not listen with retorts that 'big business' is greedy etc. What they fail to grasp and understand is the vast majority of the UK's workforce is employed by small to medium sized businesses who just cannot afford big wage/salary increases mr Jeremy C and his supporters talk about. I've been there, employed 30 or so staff and all the constant pressure of pay etc. Although some years ago now, we paid our staff a reasonable amount above the minimum wage and overall, had staff who were decent, loyal, on time and performed well etc, If the political and public will was to enforce a minimum pay level 20-35% more, then I'd have simply laid off the required amount of the staff - it's as stark as that. Since then, that business has morphed into a smaller concern and I'm no longer involved in that from an owner perspective. My next venture I'm about to launch I have done so with the basic mindset that I'll employ...         zero staff. I don't want the hassle or headache and I've managed to 'automate' from a business perspective some of the roles traditionally done by a specific person.

The same approach is being done everywhere both in public and private business in the UK. More is being asked of less staff and this presents it's own additional set of issues/problems and concerns not least of which is the mental health of those very people doing the job. It's scary and frightening to hear of the increase in mental health issues and problems of ordinary people and their job prospects has a significant level of cause when problems arise/diagnosed.

The only potential route out which looks more promising on the above and more levels is if the UK remains within the EU and continues to trade and thus keep money flowing in at previously good levels so that it remains in the G6/G7/G8 leading nations. Unfortunately,the vote came in to leave, so it's a case of small businesses adapting to trying to survive over the next few years and on into the next decade or so whilst this whole Brexit mess is sorted out one way or another. I don't think there'll be much hope in salary and pay levels in the UK as a whole increasing.

Apologies for the extra tangent there, again, it's all relevant though !

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2017, 05:30:56 PM »
I've been an X-ray tech in the US for over 20 years now. My wife and I were planning on retiring to Newcastle, but have decided not to wait. At the clinic I work in in San Francisco I make about $120k/year, with great benefits and as I've been in a union job for 19 years I get 5 weeks paid vacation, and a pension.
As a British Radiographer, I haven't seen any position posted for more than 30k/year, so I will be making a fourth of what I'm making now.
San Francisco is one of the most expensive places in the world now, with the median home costing over $1.2 million, so we will be able to sell our house, pay off the mortgage, and have enough left over to buy a house in Newcastle outright.
I'm hoping that the paycut will be tolerable as I won't have any monthly mortgage to cover. In fact, we may get enough to buy a house and a flat, then collect rent for some extra cash in our retirement.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2017, 06:13:14 PM »
I've been an X-ray tech in the US for over 20 years now. My wife and I were planning on retiring to Newcastle, but have decided not to wait. At the clinic I work in in San Francisco I make about $120k/year, with great benefits and as I've been in a union job for 19 years I get 5 weeks paid vacation, and a pension.
As a British Radiographer, I haven't seen any position posted for more than 30k/year, so I will be making a fourth of what I'm making now.
San Francisco is one of the most expensive places in the world now, with the median home costing over $1.2 million, so we will be able to sell our house, pay off the mortgage, and have enough left over to buy a house in Newcastle outright.
I'm hoping that the paycut will be tolerable as I won't have any monthly mortgage to cover. In fact, we may get enough to buy a house and a flat, then collect rent for some extra cash in our retirement.

My MIL was an X-ray technician for the NHS in Wigan for 30 years. She never earned more than £20K. My FIL worked as a truck driver for Wigan Council for most of his working life and his highest pay was £20K. They are both retired now.

My in-laws bought their three-bedroom semi-detached council house in a "Right to Buy" scheme back in the '80's and paid it off in the late 90's. Together they live on their £25K combined pensions and they live rather comfortably. They have a nice car, they travel frequently around the country and spent the past years visiting my family in the US. They've always had money to pay for the up-keep of their home and have a financial cushion for emergencies.

I think you'll do well in Newcastle. Especially since you'll have no mortgage and a possible rental income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2017, 06:27:31 PM »

Sounds like an excellent plan. It might be worth looking into the tax implications of your new situation before you move. It can get complicated!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab