Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Worst Work Screw Up?  (Read 2495 times)

• Liked: 116
Re: Worst Work Screw Up?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 04:26:45 PM »
My last job in the states was an associate manager of a store that sold designer women's sportswear.  The company was really into giving back to the community and I got the role of Events Manager, so I spent a lot of time arranging shop and shares, donation baskets, etc. 

The one I really cared about were the Girl Scouts, as I was a girl scout and am so passionate about the work they do.  I was returning a call to give them some info about the events we were doing with them, and got the voicemail.  About halfway in I got the WORST hiccups of my entire life.  I was too far in to just hang up but I had already started giving them info so I had to just keep going.  I must have sounded drunk.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 04:35:45 PM »
historyenne!  How long were you trapped there?

It felt like ages, but was probably about 20 minutes until my supervisor called, then another few while she called my landlord and got everything sorted. That's actually not the only time I've been locked out of my house; it's amazing how much colder the outside is knowing that your home is just on the other side of the door!
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 04:40:46 PM »
It felt like ages, but was probably about 20 minutes until my supervisor called, then another few while she called my landlord and got everything sorted. That's actually not the only time I've been locked out of my house; it's amazing how much colder the outside is knowing that your home is just on the other side of the door!

I've never been locked out of my house before.  But after my university graduation, my family were standing in the parking lot, discussing where we should all meet up for dinner, and I shut my car door for some reason... when we had all made up our mind, I learned that 1. my car door was locked, and 2. my keys were laying in the seat.  I just come from my graduation, so I obviously had book smarts, but...  *headshake*

Fortunately, that was back when I was doing a spare-key-hidden-on-the-vehicle trick (thanks to advice from my dad that I never thought I'd use), so I was able to get back in once we found a screwdriver.   ::)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 04:43:22 PM »
I really like that one, those bizarre self locking doors were everywhere in Prague.  Our bathroom was actually outside of our tiny flat, in a little hall just off the main stairwell.  If you got up in the middle of the night to pee, it was always tempting to streak the 5 feet from the flat to the bathroom starkers.  It was dark after all, but the potential for tragedy was high.  The biggest problem was that since our bathroom was accessible to everyone in the building, they kept stealing our toilet paper and toilet brush.  Fond memories!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 04:46:43 PM »
Oh, and inside the tiny bathroom was an on demand boiler that made a huge noise and shot flames two feet out the top.  Whenever we had guests id wait until they were in the bathroom to turn on the hot water and make it go.  The Americans especially would have a heart attack

• Liked: 21
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »
My first job was working at Subway. Just turned 17. When the register got too full we had to do a cash drop. There was a certain procedure and documentation involved with it, which I wasn't fully trained on. Well, the register asked for an immediate cash drop and my coworker was busy at the time. She told me to take a few hundred out and that she would deal with it in a minute.

Without thinking, I left the money at the side of the register.... right where a customer could reach and grab it. Thank goodness no one did. But the owner walked by shortly afterwards, saw it, and totally flipped out on me in front of everyone. She was livid and I was this close to getting fired. I started crying and felt terrible. So embarrassing.

I made a few other stupid mistakes working there. I'm surprised I was never fired. I had MANY "lights are on, but nobody's home" moments as a teen  :P
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:58:21 PM by Karlee »
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 537
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 05:57:08 PM »
To be honest, I almost cried after my first trip to a Five Guys.  I am still confused as to how they could have messed up such a simple thing like Five Guys fries.  And the place looked like a riot had just taken place in there.  And it was far more expensive than I expected.  It was a thing, and I was introducing my husband to the thing, and it was an utterly disappointing (and costly!) experience.  And I wanted to cry.  :(

But with Taco Bell, I've been studying the menus, looking at pics of peoples' food.  I think if I stick to the basic menu items, and don't try to get anything fancy, it should be okay.  I hope.  I've decided to avoid nachos of all types there.

You are talking to a complete nitpicker when it comes to American things. Their tacos, were lovely. Don't have the same meat texture but that's because it's 100% beef and no grains in it like in the US... flavour was spot on. My friend got the cheese quesadilla too and she said it was just right.

The nacho cheese sauce isn't as thick or spicy as the US, but it was still nice to have.

I don't like refried beans so I can't help you there. 🙂
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »
Oh, and inside the tiny bathroom was an on demand boiler that made a huge noise and shot flames two feet out the top.  Whenever we had guests id wait until they were in the bathroom to turn on the hot water and make it go.  The Americans especially would have a heart attack

I approve of the mildly evil way your mind works.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 06:13:53 PM »
You are talking to a complete nitpicker when it comes to American things. Their tacos, were lovely. Don't have the same meat texture but that's because it's 100% beef and no grains in it like in the US... flavour was spot on. My friend got the cheese quesadilla too and she said it was just right.

The nacho cheese sauce isn't as thick or spicy as the US, but it was still nice to have.

I don't like refried beans so I can't help you there. 🙂

Ah, nitpicker, I need help!  McDonald's.  I rarely ate there in the US, but it's the most abundant American thing over here, and sometimes... you know how it is.  I've adjusted to it now, but the first few times I've had it, I'm pretty sure the "special sauce" on the Big Mac is different.  Do you know?  Did you eat Big Macs in the US and here?  I swear it's ... spicier(?) here. Kind of like horseradish, or something.  Am I imagining this? Or does it taste like that in the US, too, and I just never noticed?

Thanks for reassuring me about Taco Bell.  I am feeling less like I'm set up for disappointment now.  :)

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »
Ah, nitpicker, I need help!  McDonald's.  I rarely ate there in the US, but it's the most abundant American thing over here, and sometimes... you know how it is.  I've adjusted to it now, but the first few times I've had it, I'm pretty sure the "special sauce" on the Big Mac is different.  Do you know?  Did you eat Big Macs in the US and here?  I swear it's ... spicier(?) here. Kind of like horseradish, or something.  Am I imagining this? Or does it taste like that in the US, too, and I just never noticed?

Thanks for reassuring me about Taco Bell.  I am feeling less like I'm set up for disappointment now.  :)

Sorry. You're talking to a weirdo who hated (now is more ambivalent towards) lettuce... So I never eat a Big Mac. But I wouldnt be surprised if the sauce is slightly different. UK palate and all that.

It could possibly be the same... depending on what altitude you're used to. Flavours, particularly spicy ones, are slighlty different at high altitudes and here were pretty close to sea level.

I could try asking my husband but I don't think we ate at McDonald's in the US... he prefers Wendy's haha.

I was really worried, and so hopeful. It was really nice not to be disappointed!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 08:01:45 PM »
Sorry. You're talking to a weirdo who hated (now is more ambivalent towards) lettuce... So I never eat a Big Mac. But I wouldnt be surprised if the sauce is slightly different. UK palate and all that.

It could possibly be the same... depending on what altitude you're used to. Flavours, particularly spicy ones, are slighlty different at high altitudes and here were pretty close to sea level.

I could try asking my husband but I don't think we ate at McDonald's in the US... he prefers Wendy's haha.

I was really worried, and so hopeful. It was really nice not to be disappointed!

My hometown is at 75m elevation in the US.  I think I'm higher here than I was there!  :P

Yeah... between fast food, full service restaurants with similar-sounding options, and convenience food and snacks at the grocery store, I have had my share of disappointment.  My husband doesn't understand what I'm trying to say, but somehow the UK does not do junk food right.  Something gets lost in translation.  I'm so tired of disappointment, so I try not to get my hopes up anymore.  Even if it has the same logo on it.  I just know it's going to be wrong.  :/

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 08:16:04 PM »
So my worst screw up at work (more of a total embarrassment really):

About 5 years ago, the flight deck of a NATO mission flight called me from the air asking for updated weather information. I had to relay it using the phonetic alphabet... only problem was, I had forgotten the entire phonetic alphabet - all I could remember was the Greek alphabet instead (thanks to years of physics equations).

I tried to struggle through, but I was making a real mess of it - I kept saying the Greek letters instead of the phonetic ones  :-[. If that wasn't bad enough, halfway through the excruciating call, another crew came up into the office and had to listen to me making a fool of myself, before both the new crew and my colleague across the room started trying to help me out with the letters.

And that still wasn't the worst part: the call got cut off partway through and when the pilots called back, they didn't realise the phone had connected and that I could hear them talking... they were laughing and making fun of me for not knowing the alphabet  :-[.

I was totally mortified  :-[! I think it took about 3 hours after that for my face to stop burning and to stop feeling flustered :(.

Since that day, I've made it a point to know the phonetic alphabet off by heart so that I'm prepared for every phonecall :P.

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 08:23:31 PM »
Oh dear... I struggle with the phonetic alphabet thing, too!  It seems to be the go-to here, though.  I thought all UK people learned it and used it... I guess not?

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 08:35:37 PM »
Is this Whiskey Tango Foxtrot and all?

I'm bad at it too. I make up my own. E for elephant, a for Apple. Haha.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 08:38:52 PM »
Oh dear... I struggle with the phonetic alphabet thing, too!  It seems to be the go-to here, though.  I thought all UK people learned it and used it... I guess not?

Nope - only the military and I guess probably also people working in jobs where they need to take down information from people over the phone (call centres etc.).

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab