Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Missing Trader Joe's  (Read 1937 times)

• Liked: 14
Missing Trader Joe's
« on: August 22, 2017, 12:20:19 PM »
Hi all,

I've been here on my fiancee visa since May 26th (just got married on Saturday), and of all the American (super)markets, I find myself missing Trader Joe's most of all. I miss their fun atmosphere, engaging store displays, affordable prices, and -- of course -- wide variety of re-branded wonky products from around the world!

What UK chains (or independent stores) would you say are most similar to Trader Joe's? I know Aldi is run by the same family, and stocks some pretty interesting foodstuffs of its own, but it's not quite the same.

Are any of you fans of Trader Joe's? If so, which products do you miss? How do you get your foodie fix in the UK? :)

Love and positive energy,

Rachel

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Missing Trader Joe's
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »
I'm not the best authority on what may be out there for supermarkets, because I live in the land of Tesco, but, just wanted to say congrats on your marriage!

We do have a whole foods co-operative (not Whole Foods and not the Co-Op, eheheh, an independent one), which has all the 'hippie dippie- vegan foods' etc, but it's definitely not the same as Trader Joes.

I know there are Whole Foods about, but I imagine these are expensive like the US ones and not quite like Trader Joes either. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 15
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »
Yes, I loved Trader Joes and shopped there weekly when we were in New York.  Honestly, we have a great farm shop near us that reminds me of it.  It has a bit of fresh meat & cheese and also has a bit of frozen and small range of sauces and spices. Since it attracts locals it has a friendly atmosphere and the staff seem like they enjoy being there.  Not able to do a full shop there but definitely am a regular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2001 - moved to the UK on a student visa
2002 - 2 year work visa (and met hubby later that year)
2004 - moved w UKC hubby to US
2012 - UKC hubby now a dual national (USC)
Apr 2015 - moved back to UK w DH and two DD

• Liked: 585
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 01:07:56 PM »
Never been to a Trader Joes...is it a supermarket?

• Liked: 537
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 01:22:16 PM »
Never been to a Trader Joes...is it a supermarket?

Funny thing about Trader Joe's is it's owned by one of the Aldi brothers. Or was originally owned by him. He couldn't very well name his store Aldi in the US when it already existed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_Albrecht

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 03:03:31 PM »
My suburb in Houston got a TJ's over a year ago and there's been so much hoopla about it. It's a cute store but I'm not keen that all the produce is packaged and not loose and how much of the food is frozen and packaged. I do like their wine department and their fresh flowers are well priced but apart from that, I can't say I would miss it when I return back to England. I'm more about going to farmer's markets and if I'm going to a national supermarket, it's usually Waitrose. Oh no! I'm old, suburban and middle class. Lol

• Liked: 14
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 06:36:39 PM »
My suburb in Houston got a TJ's over a year ago and there's been so much hoopla about it. It's a cute store but I'm not keen that all the produce is packaged and not loose and how much of the food is frozen and packaged. I do like their wine department and their fresh flowers are well priced but apart from that, I can't say I would miss it when I return back to England. I'm more about going to farmer's markets and if I'm going to a national supermarket, it's usually Waitrose. Oh no! I'm old, suburban and middle class. Lol

I shall have to investigate the legendary Waitrose. It's often labelled a "posh" supermarket in these parts (Lancaster), which intrigues me. What are some of your favourite Waitrose-specific products or departments?

• Liked: 154
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 07:29:51 AM »
I shall have to investigate the legendary Waitrose. It's often labelled a "posh" supermarket in these parts (Lancaster), which intrigues me. What are some of your favourite Waitrose-specific products or departments?

I've only had one Waitrose item, a lemon minced pie last Christmas. It was Devine!! But haven't been in there myself.

Seems a bit posh for my budget friendly family ;D.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 07:50:27 AM »

Waitrose are few and far between in Scotland, but we do happen to have a nice, shiny new one here in Helensburgh.  My favourite things there are their chocolate tart in the refrigerated dessert section... it's very plain... just chocolate ganache in a shortcrust pastry, but it is SO GOOD!

I also make a special trip there to buy butter... they've got this butter that has chunks of salt in it... we call it crunchy butter.  If you like salty butter, you will love this... and I never see it anywhere else apart from M&S Foodhall, which I don't go to anymore, as their prices on some things are ridiculous and insulting.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 08:43:27 AM »
I miss T.J.'s french onion soup. Especially now that it's seeming to be turning into autumn here in Glasgow. We were quite near TJs, but didn't shop there too often as there really wasn't much that we used on a daily basis that they stocked that we couldn't get elsewhere for a better price. They did always have good holiday half and quarter hams, though, that we're going to really miss this year.

Ah, the crunch butter! Salt-loving daughter has discovered this butter... It's really good on veg!

I don't find Waitrose to be terribly posh, but the quality of the groceries in there is uniformly good. It seems to me that some of their prices are higher than Tesco while others are not.  Was in Sainsburys yesterday for the first time (out past Anniesland) and was not impressed - had a kind of Walmarty feel to it, in a bad way. Had to argue the price of soup, of all things, with a manager - it was priced as 75 pence, they insisted on charging 1.10, but did back down when I walked the manager to the shelf with the advertised price on it.   

I like Iceland for some things - you can get Greggs in there to bake at home, and they have a line of "American" chicken bits (southern, hot, etc.) that is pretty darned good. And Dr. Oetker's frozen pizzas. :) Throw a little extra cheese and some Italian spices on those, and they're great for a rainy-afternoon lunch. M&S Simply Food is good for a litre of milk and a loaf of bread, but, actually our corner shop has two two-litres of milk on for 2 pounds every day and smoked bacon for 1 pound, and I picked up some whitebread for 40 pence in there yesterday....

But normally I just use Tesco delivery for the staples, as it's uniform, reliable, and shop the online sales.  (It's interesting, you can watch the sales move from store to store - as an example, Cathedral cheddar cheese will be on sale at Tesco for a while, then go on sale at Waitrose, then the others - on a reliable sort of rhythm.) For fresh produce, if I have the energy I go down to Roots and Fruits where it's displayed out and I can pick what I like at least weekly. (I like supporting small, indy stores when I can.) I do like the quality of the produce in Waitrose. But when shopping there I tend to only buy things when they're on offer unless it's something I absolutely have to have. 

Waitrose has these lovely angus beef burgers, four to a package, for 3 pounds. They fry up as "hamburger steaks" just wonderfully.   I also found some seeded flour that, when mixed half-and-half with hard-white bread flour makes a really nice slicing/sandwich loaf. They have eggs on regularly 6 for a pound. And on Fridays they have cod fillets coated with various seeds, on reduction, that remind me very much of the seeded cod we used to get from Schwan's delivery service in the States. (For a good price.)

If you have their card, every time you shop at Waitrose you get a free Waitrose magazine and a cup of tea. I think if you buy certain newspapers you get those free, too, but I'm not sure what they are. 

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 08:54:55 AM »
...M&S Foodhall, which I don't go to anymore, as their prices on some things are ridiculous and insulting.

Like those extortionate pickles!

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »

Was in Sainsburys yesterday for the first time (out past Anniesland) and was not impressed - had a kind of Walmarty feel to it, in a bad way.

The one out at Drumchapel/Drumry?
I used to shop there a lot when I lived in the west end.  Sounds like it's maybe gone a bit downhill since I was last in there, and someone told me they've put an Argos in there too?

Have you been to the big Morrisons at Anniesland?  It's pretty nice... and a huge improvement over the one in Partick!

• Liked: 111
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »

I think the reason I particularly like Waitrose is that they're very much like Central Market in Texas and it's my go-to store for pretty much everything. I enjoy the quality of their products. The Duchy Organic range is spectacular. If it's good enough for the Queen and The Prince of Wales (Waitrose has the Royal Seal from Elizabeth and Charles), it's good enough for me. If it's not Waitrose, it's M&S and Sainsbury's if I'm really slumming it. I've been known to drive my MIL to ASDA and wait in the car park. My stress levels peak just standing in the produce section. But I loved the George clothes she used to buy my kids.

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 03:01:34 PM »
The one out at Drumchapel/Drumry?
I used to shop there a lot when I lived in the west end.  Sounds like it's maybe gone a bit downhill since I was last in there, and someone told me they've put an Argos in there too?

Have you been to the big Morrisons at Anniesland?  It's pretty nice... and a huge improvement over the one in Partick!

Yep, that's the one.  Haven't stopped at Morrison's yet - it's on the "to do" list. Was going out to Pets At Home and saw the Sainsburys in the same  shopping center so popped in. :)  So, at the Anniesland Bus stop, by the train station.... from there to get to Morrisons I walk north?

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 03:10:30 PM »
I think the reason I particularly like Waitrose is that they're very much like Central Market in Texas and it's my go-to store for pretty much everything. I enjoy the quality of their products. The Duchy Organic range is spectacular. If it's good enough for the Queen and The Prince of Wales (Waitrose has the Royal Seal from Elizabeth and Charles), it's good enough for me. If it's not Waitrose, it's M&S and Sainsbury's if I'm really slumming it. I've been known to drive my MIL to ASDA and wait in the car park. My stress levels peak just standing in the produce section. But I loved the George clothes she used to buy my kids.

Agree on the quality of the Duchy products. I went in recently and hit their cookies aisle and bought several boxes of various Duchy cookies to send back to my old office buddies.  But, aren't they Prince Charles' brand literally? As in, his production/farm company?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab