Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NIS to pay tax  (Read 481 times)

• Liked: 5
NIS to pay tax
« on: August 23, 2017, 10:16:25 AM »
I am on the Bureaucratic Merry Go Round,  I cannot get an NIS number,  here is what I have gone through,  called NIS in NIreland they told me they would issue number when I get a job offer,  I am old and retired and do not plan on working or looking for a job,  I told them I need number to pay taxes in the UK,  they want a letter from whom ever it is stating I have to pay taxes,  I talked to HMRC and was told they do not  issue this letter.
I talked to the tax department and was issued a UTR.  How do I get an NIS? Do I need an NIS?

• Liked: 6110
Re: NIS to pay tax
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »
I am on the Bureaucratic Merry Go Round,  I cannot get an NIS number,  here is what I have gone through,  called NIS in NIreland they told me they would issue number when I get a job offer,  I am old and retired and do not plan on working or looking for a job,  I told them I need number to pay taxes in the UK,  they want a letter from whom ever it is stating I have to pay taxes,  I talked to HMRC and was told they do not  issue this letter.
I talked to the tax department and was issued a UTR.  How do I get an NIS? Do I need an NIS?

Try telling them that you want to open an ISA. They ask for a national insurance number on the form. Hopefully that'll do the trick.
Good luck and please let us know how it goes.  :)

• Liked: 716
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 11:05:30 AM »

I'm not sure that you need an NIS to file taxes since the purpose of an NIS is for the State Pension. I'll be doing my first self assessment later this year and the first thing I had to do was get a UTR, which you now have. Why not start a Self Assessment online and see if there is a mandatory field for NIS. You also try going to a Job Centre Plus and register to work even though you have no intention to take a job. They will issue you with an NIS.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 11:09:01 AM »
Looks like you do need an NIS.

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/SA1

The number can be found on your National Insurance card, if you have been sent one. If you are an employee, you can also find your National Insurance number on your payslip or P60 (certificate of pay and tax deducted). You will also find it on most correspondence from HM Revenue & Customs. 

You must have a National Insurance number before you can register for Self Assessment. If you do not have a UK National Insurance number you must contact the Department for Work and Pensions on Tel 0845 600 0643.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 11:11:07 AM by durhamlad »

• Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 11:14:51 AM »
Yes I am sure I do,  I told representative at NIS NIreland I just won't pay taxes if no one wants to give me an NIS.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 12:55:31 PM »
Yes I am sure I do,  I told representative at NIS NIreland I just won't pay taxes if no one wants to give me an NIS.

Agreed.

However I would get that in writing for if/when HMRC chase you up. Personally I would call the DWP at the number shown above since that is the HMRC website for self assessment telling one where to go if they are having problems obtaining an NIS number.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab