Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How Long for the Visa to come through  (Read 1313 times)

• Liked: 16
How Long for the Visa to come through
« on: August 23, 2017, 03:21:34 PM »
Hello all,

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question here about getting a visa, and my options.  So now, I have the Certificate of Sponsorship and have completed the application form.  Now I have new questions:

1) I have my Biometric appointment on August 30th, which was the earliest I could get.  How long after that appointment will it take, typically?

2) It is my understanding that I have to send my passport in to the visa officials.  I assume this means I cannot go to the UK until it is returned.  Is that correct?

3) And finally, the most important one, is this a rubber stamp process once the Certificate is issued, or can I still be rejected at the 11th hour?  I need to turn in my resignation at my current job, but I don't want to do that if there is a chance that the visa will be rejected.

Thank you so much for your help.

• Liked: 3589
Re: How Long for the Visa to come through
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 03:32:45 PM »
1) you don't have to wait until the 30th for biometrics - just try a walk-in at the biometrics center... you might be able to get them done today. After biometrics you have 5 days to mail your passport, application and supporting documents to New York for processing. I'm not sure how long Tier visas are taking at the moment, but there's the option to purchase priority processing for $250 to have it put to the front of the line

2) yes, you cannot travel until your visa has been issued and your passport returned to you

3) the visa can still be refused even if you have the certificate as UKVI may still decide you don't meet the requirements. So you won't know if the visa has been granted or not until your application has been processed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 253
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 03:42:56 PM »
Hello all,

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question here about getting a visa, and my options.  So now, I have the Certificate of Sponsorship and have completed the application form.  Now I have new questions:

1) I have my Biometric appointment on August 30th, which was the earliest I could get.  How long after that appointment will it take, typically?

Just try walking in early. A bunch of people have gone in a couple days early and gotten it done without a problem. Worse they can say is no.

I think I might have replied back on your previous posting, but UKVI said that 90% of Tier 4 visas were processed in 10 working days (in May 2017: https://visa-processingtimes.homeoffice.gov.uk/y/united-states/points-based-system-visas/pbs-tier-4). Most of the wait time is actually just your application waiting in line to be processed which is why we suggest opting for priority if possible.

In 2015, I waited about a month-month and a half for mine.

2) It is my understanding that I have to send my passport in to the visa officials.  I assume this means I cannot go to the UK until it is returned.  Is that correct?

Correct.

3) And finally, the most important one, is this a rubber stamp process once the Certificate is issued, or can I still be rejected at the 11th hour?  I need to turn in my resignation at my current job, but I don't want to do that if there is a chance that the visa will be rejected.

Thank you so much for your help.

Unfortunately, you can be rejected even with the CoS. It is a tick box system so if you don't tick all the boxes, you don't get the visa. I'm rooting for you.
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 04:00:39 PM »
Thanks for the information.  Unfortunately, I have a trip to the UK to meet with my new employer scheduled for the 30th as well as the Biometric Appointment, so if I only have 5 days after the appointment to mail the passport, I will not be able to do a walk in, as I will be returning on the 4th, and will need my passport for that.  Does anyone know how common rejections are?  Part of the purpose of my trip is to find a place to live, and I obviously don't want to sign anything if there is a real possibility of rejection.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »
Thanks for the information.  Unfortunately, I have a trip to the UK to meet with my new employer scheduled for the 30th as well as the Biometric Appointment, so if I only have 5 days after the appointment to mail the passport, I will not be able to do a walk in, as I will be returning on the 4th, and will need my passport for that.

Honestly, if you are flying to the UK on the 30th and returning on the 4th, I would reschedule your biometrics appointment for the 4th or 5th, and then mail your documents immediately afterwards. If you can't mail the documents until the 4th or 5th, then there's no benefit to you attending the appointment on the 30th. It would be much safer to wait until you get back, just in case you are delayed for some reason and don't make it back to the US in time.

You should already have all your documents ready to mail by now anyway, so it's essentially just a case of getting the package ready, attending biometrics and then mailing it off.

Does anyone know how common rejections are?  Part of the purpose of my trip is to find a place to live, and I obviously don't want to sign anything if there is a real possibility of rejection.

It's illegal for a UK landlord to rent to you before you get your visa, as they can be fined £3,000 for renting to someone who does not have the right to live in the UK. So, they will need to see your visa before you can sign anything anyway.

On average though, approximately 95% of all UK visa applications made by US citizens are approved.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 04:25:45 PM »
Hello all,

I assume you have been issued with the correct type of CoS, the Restricted CoS? That was assigned by the board that would have sat about 11th August to decide who can have a Restricted-CoS this month? There are two types of CoS, so make sure your sponsor has issued you with the correct one.

Once your R-CoS is issued by that board, you then apply for the Tier 2 General visa, using that R-CoS. UKVI do look at different things to the board, but experienced sponsors get their Tier 2 visas granted and failry quickly.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employer-sponsorship-restricted-certificate-allocations/allocations-of-restricted-certificates-of-sponsorship#august-2017

Here is an August 2017 R-CoS forum, to get an idea of the timeline.
https://www.immigrationboards.com/uk-tier-2-employer-sponsored-visas/august-rcos-2017-t237172.html

If you go back a few pages, you will find the July 2017 R-CoS forum, where they will have discussed how quickly they got their visa.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:39:02 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 342
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 04:45:35 PM »
Thanks for the information.  Unfortunately, I have a trip to the UK to meet with my new employer scheduled for the 30th.

Surely your sponsor will know how quickly their visas with a Restricted-CoS, are coming through?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:46:59 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 210
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 05:00:23 PM »
No helpful info here as everyone else has done that. Just wishing you good luck! Please let us know how it goes.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 05:10:49 PM »
Yes, the CoS was issued by the board on the 11th.  I've filled out the application, payed the $3,500 or so required, and have the biometric appointment.  I'm hoping things go quickly because classes start on the 25th, and I probably should be there by then, given that I'm teaching some of them...

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 05:12:36 PM »
Can you delay the trip until after you have your visa in hand?  The timeline either side is just too tight.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 05:21:42 PM »
Can you delay the trip until after you have your visa in hand?  The timeline either side is just too tight.

Agreed - I'd allow 3-4 weeks to get your visa once you've attended biometrics and mailed it off to New York.

If you can postpone your trip, you could get your biometrics done today or tomorrow, mail the application today or tomorrow and you could have your visa by maybe mid-September.

If you leave it until the 4th, you may not get your visa until October.

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 08:12:34 PM »
So a quick update here.  I got an email that they received my application last Friday.  I paid for priority, but still haven't heard anything. I'm starting to get a little stressed because the UK website says that 74 percent of visa applications are processed in 3 days.  Should I worry, or am I just being over-reactive?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 08:15:36 PM »
So a quick update here.  I got an email that they received my application last Friday.  I paid for priority, but still haven't heard anything. I'm starting to get a little stressed because the UK website says that 74 percent of visa applications are processed in 3 days.  Should I worry, or am I just being over-reactive?

It's too early to start worrying.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 08:22:53 PM »

That data is from May 2017.

In July/August, the NY office hits their busiest time of the year with all the student visa applications coming in.  I would expect priority will take 3 weeks-ish this time of year.  Hopefully it's quicker, but that's what I would plan for as a target.   :)  All depends on how quickly the backlog of student visas are processed.

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 08:44:09 PM »
That is very helpful information.  I will try to restrain my stress then.  Trying to coordinate all of this is very hard.... 

Sponsored Links