Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Net migration down down down  (Read 851 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
Net migration down down down
« on: August 24, 2017, 05:30:13 PM »
Brexit doing it's magic.....   :-\\\\

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41036236
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Net migration down down down
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 05:33:19 PM »
Completely agree with this guy:

A spokesman for the Institute of Directors said "no one should celebrate these numbers".
"Given unemployment is currently at its lowest level ever (4.5%), without the three million EU citizens living here the UK would have an acute labour shortage.
"Signs that it is becoming a less attractive place to live and work are a concern," he added.

But that's what they wanted!!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 06:08:15 PM »
I don't see things in the labor market improving, but perhaps with a smaller pool they'll have to increase wages to retain employees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:48:59 PM »
Lump of labour fallacy:

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/21819/concepts/lump-of-labour-fallacy-immigration/

Yeah, I'm fully aware of all those principles ... just wishful thinking I guess! It's genuinely concerning that much of the NHS relies on foreign staff and there's been no clear guidance on how they'll keep those jobs available post-Brexit. 2 years is no where near enough time to solve these things with the current visa processes! I also have heard of a number of companies making plans to move to another European country from London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 154
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 09:06:58 PM »
I saw this today and wondered how it would impact the economy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 342
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 11:11:38 AM »
That, or all the changes that the UK are bringing in/just come in, many based the on the findings of The MAC (Migration Advisory Committee)? 

It was announced years ago that all these would have to come in. The changes to the welfare state and the law to change the definition of "ordinary resident for the NHS" (who can use the NHS bill free), are not unexpected.  All part of getting net migration back down to just tens of thousands a year again, as that article states.

The UK even announced in parliament in 2015, that the welfare changes meant that from 2017, Germany, Sweden and France would now give more money in benefits than the UK does.

I'm not convinced it is Brexit alone as the many millions who have used the EEA Regulations to enter the UK, are now trying to stay in the UK. Over 500,000 of these have been granted British citizenship in the last year. There is a massive upsurge in those applying for DCPRs and PRCs (needed to apply for British citizenship) and there is no need to have these if they don't want to apply for citizenship or will never be granted British citizenship because of their crimes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:43:39 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 533
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 01:18:04 PM »
Credible sources put it down to Brexit.

But the other important story is May's fumbling of student overstay figures.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 672
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 06:36:38 PM »
Yeah, I'm kind of lost with it.  ???  So she was saying the students were overstaying and driving up numbers, when something like 97% of them leave when their programs are over? Are they counting the students in the "influx" to the UK (even though there's no way for them to stay really after)?

Sponsored Links