Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Starting the process - Marry in UK or US - which is the smart choice?  (Read 641 times)

• Liked: 70
Re: Starting the process - Marry in UK or US - which is the smart choice?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 12:16:16 PM »
Marrying in the US is cheaper for visas from a financial viewpoint.

We knew this and married in the UK in part because my family is larger and would have expected to be invited.  They certainly were!  But sadly many were unable to travel to the UK for our legal wedding (we had a party in the US, parties are much cheaper than weddings).  We saved quite a lot of money marrying in the UK.

Smarter depends on your family and your circumstances.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »
Marrying in the US is cheaper for visas from a financial viewpoint.

We knew this and married in the UK in part because my family is larger and would have expected to be invited.  They certainly were!  But sadly many were unable to travel to the UK for our legal wedding (we had a party in the US, parties are much cheaper than weddings).  We saved quite a lot of money marrying in the UK.

Smarter depends on your family and your circumstances.

Thanks Larissa - we both have small families / small circle of friends, so no problem with marrying in the USA. While you're there, my USA wife to be is a little dyslexic so I have to lead re form filling etc - i was wondering about evidence though - can I bring her evidence pack back to the UK and send as one pack to Sheffield once we get that far into the process?
Married: 12 April 2018
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Applied online: 13 April 2018
Biometrics appt & documents mailed: 18 April 2018
Documents delivered: 20th April 2018
Received documents email: 23rd April 2018
Decision made email: 9th May 2018
Documents Returned: 11th May 2018 It's a YES!
Moved to UK: 20th June 2018

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 12:28:01 PM »
Thanks Larissa - we both have small families / small circle of friends, so no problem with marrying in the USA. While you're there, my USA wife to be is a little dyslexic so I have to lead re form filling etc - i was wondering about evidence though - can I bring her evidence pack back to the UK and send as one pack to Sheffield once we get that far into the process?

It's more usual for the US applicant to send the evidence from there but you could send it from the UK as long as you make sure everything is set to return the package to the US once the decision has been made.
Which ever way you do it, all the evidence needs to go together in one package.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 12:43:46 PM »

To add to what larrabee said, you will have to work out your timing though - because everything must be in the same package, but she will need her passport for the biometrics appointment.

So, your options would be:

- you get everything ready, she applies online and attends biometrics before you leave the US, then you take EVERYTHING back with you to the UK (including her passport) and mail it from there... but you only have 5 days from the biometrics appointment to mail the documents.

or

- you get everything ready in the US, then you take her supporting documents back to the UK before she attends biometrics. Then she mails her passport, application form and any other documents to you in the UK, you add them to the package and then mail them to Sheffield... within 5 days of biometrics

or

- you get everything done and mailed to Sheffield from within the US... either while you are still there, or get the forms etc. sorted before you leave and then let her mail it to Sheffield.

Sponsored Links