Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Passport expiring Sept. travel in June  (Read 441 times)

• Liked: 154
Passport expiring Sept. travel in June
« on: August 27, 2017, 08:10:51 AM »
Hey guys, just curious if anybody could help.

My passport expires next September. I was hoping to wait as close to that to renew because I wanted to change my name and if I planned it right I could get it in the time frame before my visa expires in October, thus avoiding the name change fee.

However, now we're traveling in June to the states for a wedding. At this point because my passport has less than six months left do you think I'll have trouble? Should I just suck it up and renew and forget the name change? I'm worried they won't let me travel with under six months left on it.

I refuse to pay a few hundred quid to change my brp card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
Re: Passport expiring Sept. travel in June
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 08:19:25 AM »
Hey guys, just curious if anybody could help.

My passport expires next September. I was hoping to wait as close to that to renew because I wanted to change my name and if I planned it right I could get it in the time frame before my visa expires in October, thus avoiding the name change fee.

However, now we're traveling in June to the states for a wedding. At this point because my passport has less than six months left do you think I'll have trouble? Should I just suck it up and renew and forget the name change? I'm worried they won't let me travel with under six months left on it.

I refuse to pay a few hundred quid to change my brp card.

As a USC traveling to the US, the 6 month validity thing is not an issue.  :)

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 08:27:50 AM »

- As you are a US citizen, it shouldn't be an issue to enter the US with less than 6 months on your passport, as it's your home country.

It's only visitors to the US from certain countries that need 6 months left on their passport, and there are a number of countries exempt from needing 6 months left (including the UK).
(https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/non-immigrant-visa-faqs/passport-and-travel-documents/)

- For non-EEA visitors to the UK, your passport just needs to be valid for the length of your trip (https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk)... but as you live in the UK and have a visa, that shouldn't apply anyway.

So, you should be fine to travel in June and then renew the passport when you get back.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 03:54:43 PM »
Thank you both so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab