Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 20264 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2017, 01:21:13 PM »
Pork, Chestnut and onion stuffing from Tescos - sounds good!  I'll get some of that.

It's delicious! We don't have a Tesco and it's a bit of a drive to the nearest one but I make the effort, because of that stuffing!  ;D

• Liked: 248
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2017, 02:09:41 PM »
I'm lazy - I get Tescos to deliver.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2017, 02:29:23 PM »
I really like the Tesco Pork, Chestnut & Onion stuffing.  :) It appears in the fresh food section just in time for Thanksgiving so I buy it then and again for Christmas dinner, yum!

M&S do a similar one but I don't like the texture, it's really gritty for some reason.

Yeah but that's what I am talking about.  It's full of pork!  American stuffing does not have meat.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2017, 02:32:36 PM »
Yeah but that's what I am talking about.  It's full of pork!  American stuffing does not have meat.

I know! It's a completely different animal.  :)

(pardon the pun)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »
Har Har!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »
* Stuffing... I have nothing to say about stuffing because I don't like it.

Has this ever been typed before?  Please explain.

It's funny you mention this because I never liked stuffing before and everybody thought I was a weirdo...but once moving over here my husband urged me to try it. He was like "it's literally breadcrumbs...you love bread.." and I realised I should probably give it a go, especialy because I do love breadcrumb-based things (like friend chicken) so why shouldn't I like literal baked breadcrumbs. It definitely stuck this time and I ALWAYS include stuffing now! haha Maybe it's the fact I'm getting older and more open minded...

Okay, I have to admit that I always hated it in the US, and it was the sort of thing I'd politely put a tiny spoonful of on the edge of my plate and choke down.  But over here, my husband made some, and he baked it as little balls/nuggets, and apart from us getting distracted and leaving them in the oven too long, I loved them.  I don't know what was different about his recipe, but I liked it.  Less sage, maybe?  I dunno.  But I didn't have to just politely get through it.  I enjoyed it.  But it was not the same thing as what they call stuffing back in the US.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:05:21 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2017, 04:18:08 PM »
Has this ever been typed before?  Please explain.

It's funny you mention this because I never liked stuffing before and everybody thought I was a weirdo...but once moving over here my husband urged me to try it. He was like "it's literally breadcrumbs...you love bread.." and I realised I should probably give it a go, especialy because I do love breadcrumb-based things (like friend chicken) so why shouldn't I like literal baked breadcrumbs. It definitely stuck this time and I ALWAYS include stuffing now! haha Maybe it's the fact I'm getting older and more open minded...

Okay, I have to admit that I always hated it in the US, and it was the sort of thing I'd politely put a tiny spoonful of on the edge of my plate and choke down.  But over here, my husband made some, and he baked it as little balls/nuggets, and apart from us getting distracted and leaving them in the oven too long, I loved them.  I don't know what was different about his recipe, but I liked it.  Less sage, maybe?  I dunno.  But I didn't have to just politely get through it.  I enjoyed it.  But it was not the same thing as what they call stuffing back in the US.

haha when I make it out of the box, the directions are either that you can make them in balls or just as a whole thing but I usually do balls as I like it better for some reason! haha  ;D
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 585
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2017, 06:36:02 PM »
I hate stuffing too.
Probably haven't tasted it since I was a kid, and have no intention to start now.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2017, 06:51:23 PM »
I hate stuffing too.
Probably haven't tasted it since I was a kid, and have no intention to start now.

I used to hate it, but when it's spread thinly and you make it crunchy... mmm.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2017, 10:14:36 PM »
I loooove stuffing.  I always go for seconds on the stuffing, sweet potatoes, and cranberry sauce.  My husband's family makes sausage meat stuffing which seems like overkill to me but it's nice, so whatever.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2017, 10:43:36 AM »
I used to hate it, but when it's spread thinly and you make it crunchy... mmm.

When I realised that it was basically like a breadcrumb coating when you make it this way, I literally was like WHY HAVE I NOT LET MYSELF HAVE THIS BEFORE?! WHY DID I THINK I HATED THIS!? haha
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 8
« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2017, 09:59:47 PM »
I've just read this entire thread and I'm very curious about how Thanksgiving went!  Also, I will be trying this apple cider/red hot concoction soon...

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2017, 10:14:15 PM »
I've just read this entire thread and I'm very curious about how Thanksgiving went!  Also, I will be trying this apple cider/red hot concoction soon...

I can't speak for the rest of the forum, but my Thanksgiving was the best I've had since I moved to the UK!  It was just my husband and I, and that was all I needed.  We have to keep things basic and small because we decided to rip out our old kitchen before we were ready to renovate, so we don't actually have a kitchen at the moment.  But we have a single-burner camp stove, on which we sauteed some green beans; an Uuni outdoor pizza oven, in which we roasted a turkey breast crown, carrots, and stuffing balls; and a microwave, in which we zapped some potatoes for mashing.  That worked so well that we did it again on Monday for our Christmas dinner, only we skipped the mash in favour of roast potatoes (also in the Uuni oven), and we added sprouts to the sauteed green beans, and parsnips in with the turkey and carrots.

Oh, I'm sure you'll enjoy the cider and Red Hots!  It's so warm and nice on a cold evening.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 248
« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »
Our Thanksgiving was a week after everyone else's.  There were 99 of us, family and friends - all retired and all Brits.  One of my brother in laws got lost on the way over so dinner was over an hour late.  The time was filled in by everyone enjoying just being together and having a few nibbles.  Either the guests didn't drink alcohol, or were driving, so we went through a lot of tea.  It was great to hear the house full of laughter.

The meal itself was a great success.  No one had ever had pumpkin pie, or green bean casserole - some of them loved the new dishes, some not so much. 

As they left everyone said they would be back for Thanksgiving in 2018.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2017, 03:39:37 PM »
Our Thanksgiving was a week after everyone else's.  There were 99 of us, family and friends - all retired and all Brits.  One of my brother in laws got lost on the way over so dinner was over an hour late.  The time was filled in by everyone enjoying just being together and having a few nibbles.  Either the guests didn't drink alcohol, or were driving, so we went through a lot of tea.  It was great to hear the house full of laughter.

The meal itself was a great success.  No one had ever had pumpkin pie, or green bean casserole - some of them loved the new dishes, some not so much. 

As they left everyone said they would be back for Thanksgiving in 2018.

That sounds lovely!  So glad it was a hit and everyone loved it. :)  Green bean casserole is usually a winner at any Thanksgiving dinner.

I had the privilege of making Thanksgiving dinner for my future English in-laws last year in England, and it went over pretty well.  Most everyone liked the green bean casserole.  The sweet potato casserole though...not so much, haha.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab